names for modulair area's

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First: I like to see different names for the modulair area's
- session modulair area
- musynth modulair area
- Mux modulair area

Second: "context sensitive menu's" that is modern programming: the menu shows only relevant choices
example : midi modulation .. the whole list van 0 ..127 is coming up ?

Third: .. more info about modules from the modulair area what they are "musical doing"
example : new: Audio To Note Gate module

Fourth : modulair components Groups are now by dividers ordered in the modulair area
Better is to give also a name on the divider
example
- soundgenerators
- routing

etc..

janamdo wrote:Second: "context sensitive menu's" that is modern programming: the menu shows only relevant choices
example : midi modulation .. the whole list van 0 ..127 is coming up?
Where, in which context?
Third: .. more info about modules from the modulair area what they are "musical doing" example : new: Audio To Note Gate module
1) What they're musically doing is up to you, the musician.

2) What the "Audio To Note Gate" is technically doing? It converts the incoming audio to a note gate. (if you don't know what a note gate is, please study modular sound programming in general, it's not MU.LAB specific)

3) MU.LAB 3.1 is not yet released. It's still in test phase. The docs are not yet ready.
Fourth : modulair components Groups are now by dividers ordered in the modulair area. Better is to give also a name on the divider
example
- soundgenerators
- routing
Yes, was thinking the same. Will do.

janamdo wrote:Second: "context sensitive menu's" that is modern programming: the menu shows only relevant choices
example : midi modulation .. the whole list van 0 ..127 is coming up?
mutools wrote: Where, in which context?

In context of mapping a midi controller to a knob
Not all Midi controller numbers are suitable for controlling a knob seems to me

In general..a context sensitive menu: offer user only menu choices where he can work on in the present screen

it is useless to offer more menuchoices

So, in that context, which controllers are useless to everyone in your opinion?

janamdo wrote:Not all Midi controller numbers are suitable for controlling a knob seems to me
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what MIDI is, in that case.

While we're talking about the names of things: One reason I think I had trouble configuring a vst amp envelope correctly in Mux, my ignorance notwithstanding, was the name. I assumed that it was short-hand for Mu-Effects, so I never thought of putting the instrument itself into a Mux. I was thinking along the lines of "an effect has to be inserted into the chain on the rack or in the modular area, and my Mux is the effect."

pljones wrote:
janamdo wrote:Not all Midi controller numbers are suitable for controlling a knob seems to me
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what MIDI is, in that case.
I saw a list of Midi modulations sources

http://www.zerospec.com/testmap/midimodulatie.jpg
The Mulab Midi modulation sources are 0..127 as a list

pljones wrote:
pljones wrote:You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what MIDI is, in that case.
I saw a list of Midi modulations sources

The Mulab Midi modulation sources are 0..127 as a list

It seems it has been the choice of that developer to limit the available MIDI CCs. I don't think it's a good idea. (except if it would be a global preference which can be changed, but no such thing planned in MU.LAB). For example, personally i like to use MIDI CCs 20-30. I don't see them on the list in that picture :?

janamdo wrote:The Mulab Midi modulation sources are 0..127 as a list
Which is correct. MIDI supports Continuous Controllers numbered 0 to 127, each of which can supply as a parameter a value between 0 and 127. The General MIDI Specification assigns meanings to those numbers but MIDI itself does not require them to be used for any particular purpose. A mod matrix would be pointless otherwise - you'd just have hard-wired connections based on the assigned meanings.

Hi Jan,

if someone removes some cc from his app CC list is his choice, but i surely not buy a soft that doesn't have a complete midi CC implementation. Just because i have many HW synths and stuff and they transmit controllers assigned to various CC.

In the case you pointed with the screenshot i wouldn't be able to use my kurzweil sliders or roland's ef303 knobs, and those are actually my main controllers :? :shock:

Juan Mendoza wrote:Hi Jan,

if someone removes some cc from his app CC list is his choice, but i surely not buy a soft that doesn't have a complete midi CC implementation. Just because i have many HW synths and stuff and they transmit controllers assigned to various CC.
Buenos noches amigo Juan,

My discussion point is about "context sensitive menu's" ( what the hell is that.. haha) in relation to this midi modulation source list

In a other situation (context) there is a different midi controller list sufficient

The software choose intelligent the right menu content

Be simple that is the whole idea

janamdo wrote:My discussion point is about "context sensitive menu's" ( what the hell is that.. haha) in relation to this midi modulation source list

In a other situation (context) there is a different midi controller list sufficient. The software choose intelligent the right menu content
But what if i want to use MIDI CC 25 in that software?
I can't choose it from the list :?
I don't find that intelligent, i find it limiting me in my freedom.
Be simple that is the whole idea
I absolutely agree with that and lets simplify things whenever appropriate i.e. whenever the simplification has more benefits than drawbacks. (of course that can be subjective sometimes)

janamdo wrote:Fourth : modulair components Groups are now by dividers ordered in the modulair area
Better is to give also a name on the divider
example
- soundgenerators
- routing
See the new MU.LAB 3.1.4 test version ;)

mutools wrote:
See the new MU.LAB 3.1.4 test version ;)
Great to have to a more structured view of the components :tu:
But in the section Audio processor there are also within some components who have something to do with audio routing : stereo combinor/stereo splitter
So Audio Routing as group ?

Is this correct..

Return to “MUTOOLS”