Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Caps
KVRist

92 posts since 20 Jul, 2010, from Los Angeles
I am looking for a USB surface controller so that I can move sliders and pots using a hardware device. For instance, one large rotary wheel so that the patch sounds from the synth engine can be scrolled rather than clicking the the right/left arrows with the mouse.

This post objective:
To find a surface controller

My budget is $600.00. However, I will hold out to purchase one that is more expensive for motorized faders.

Environments: studio and mobile

Candidate Controller: Zoom R24
Pros: Integrated: surface controller, USB audio interface, sampler, drum machine/groove box (with sampled sounds) and a 24 track sequencer (with software edior) - all in one box

Cons: no motorized faders. Would rather have a sequencer that is at least 64 track when you consider each stereo output uses 2 tracks.

Dilemma: Do I just settle for surface controller with a 24 track (use as a scratch pad) and enjoy the multiple machines? Or go for a dedicated hardware sequencer for my studio. This would then be a hub for on-the-fly recording while not having to use a computer.

Here is one candidate: Zoom R24 http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMR24 This is a: surface controller, USB interface, sampler, 24 track sequencer and drum machine. Since it made its debut at the 2010 NAM show this last June, there are little user reviews. I am thinking that more units that integrate several machine in one box will become more popular. Advantages are: no hard wire routing issues, no latency issues, All solid state (Flash or Card drives)all driver are in one location by the same manufacturer, integrates with software and portable having a small footprint - battery powered option.

Caps
Last edited by Caps on Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caps
KVRist

Still awaiting a response, now that I am older.
Michael L
KVRAF

2344 posts since 25 Jan, 2014, from the End of the World as we Knowit
I use a discontinued, novation but now there are many: https://www.sweetwater.com/c808--Mixing ... l_Surfaces
What I do with Mux modules is: Right-hand mouse to hover and select parameters; Left-hand multi-touchpad to change parameters. Really fast.
Caps
KVRist

Hi Michael,

After much research, I am up for the Novation Impulse 49 at around $300.00 USD. My reservations about Mulab is the rather limited instructional video and where most of them are without an instructor who speaks.

Secondly, many surface controllers has scenes or profiles for the more mainstream DAWs. Kind of like Photoshop, mainstream with plenty of how to videos and resources.

Caps
Michael L
KVRAF

2344 posts since 25 Jan, 2014, from the End of the World as we Knowit
Hi Caps,

Good! Novation uses nice Fatar keybeds and updated Automap, but Impulse faders are not motorised or touch-sensitive.

I find MuLab videos most useful when I pause frequently and copy each step myself; I am a DIY learner.

Because MuLab's modularity enables many configurations, there can't be "one template" as in a fixed DAW. However midi and shortcut key mapping is fast, and I found mapping helps clarify my workflow.

Michael
Caps
KVRist

Motorized faders would be in a different league with a substantial price tag. This particular controller serves as a surface and for keyboard use. If I purchase a dedicated hardware mixer, it would have the motorized faders.

The Novation Impulse beats hands down, any similar types of gear on the market, add: the moderately weighted keys, pad functionality and other features, this is on my shopping list.

I currently have the Korg padKontrol, which is yet another great controller. However, using Windows 7, I had it working a few days ago, utilizing the powered USB with the ISIO driver on a Lexicon Omega USB interface. I posted the problem and has not been resolved. Possible a Lexicon driver, but the padKontrol works on a newly downloaded Android app.

Caps

Moderators: muzycian, mutools

Return to MUTOOLS