Can't add VSTs in Windows 7

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've just installed Mulab on a new Windows 7 machine, and can't add VSTs. I copied some VST dlls from my main PC, tried to add them in the VST plugin manager, and it says:

Ready to start scanning /c:/pathname/vstname.dll
Couldn't find vstname.dll
Added 0 VST plugins

Even though the pathname and filename it gives is correct (apart from the forward slash in front of c: which looks weird - could that be it? But it reports the right filename(s), so it can see them ok)

Maybe it's something to do with Windows 7 - this is my first time using it. Any ideas?

It's not a Windows 7 problem, I can reassure you -- it's working fine here.

Are you on 3.2.3 of MU.LAB?

Do the VSTs need installing at all? Any additional supporting files they need?

I don't remember how to turn on logging but that might reveal more details...

Yes, it's the current download, 3.2.3 (Free version). The VSTs are all fairly simple ones from teh interwebz - just the DLLs needed as far as I know: Indian DreamZ from DSK, Cheeze Machine from Big Tick, Accordion from Safwan Matni and some others. They install fine on my main PC running XP.

Turning on Mulab's log just records the error messages verbatim, so no extra clues there.

I remember something on here about Windows 7 restricting access to non-standard directories or something like that. The VSTs are in a directory I made myself: c:\apps\vsts\ - but I can create and modify files in the directory, so there's no access issue.

It feels like I'm overlooking something simple, but I can't think what...

Have you got any VSTs to install? I ask because one of the restrictions on the free version is how many you can add.

No, not got any VSTs to install at all. It's odd. I've passed the PC onto its owner now so will have to try again in a few weeks when I next get access to it.

In the meantime, any ideas on why a clean installation of Mulab Free on a Windows 7 machine seems to find VST filenames when scanning but then says it can't find them, would be gratefully received!

Return to “MUTOOLS”