Dubstep Bass

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everybody, I've been playing around on the free version of MU.LAB for about a month now and I love it I've just recently became inspired to make some dubstep music but there's only one problem. I have no idea how to imitate the "wub" sound of the bass on this program . This is a very important part of this type of music, and without out it...it's just not dubstep. Can somebody please help?

Hi dubster101,

I am afraid I do not know the dubstep music genre, probably my loss.

Therefore I do not know what the "wub" should sound like.

Is there an example of an artist either on Youtube or myspace that I could listen to so I can hear what sound you mean?

I might be able to make a preset for you or at least find a VST that could do what you ask.

I cannot promise anything but I am willing to try.

OZ

http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

Hi risome,

Thanks for the link will look at tonight.

Got stuff to do.

Bye for now!

OZ

Back in my days you called it wobble. :lol: Anyway: you need to find a synth which allows you to modulate the LFO. Synapse Audio's Junglist on the last issue of Computer Music is a great bassline synth and let's you do this. There's tons of free ones which you can do this with too.

An older tutorial link

Thanks that tutorial really did help

Hi dubster101,

I have listened to some dub music and I can hear many bass sounds not too sure which sound you are after.

Can you tell me a specific artist and song and say thats the sound in that song I want.

Sorry but dub style music is not something I have listened to before.

OZ

A good song would be Jahova from Rusko also the song Mr. Chips from the same artist. Another really good one is Apples from Datsik, it takes about a minute for it to pick up but it's sick and it's the sound I'm looking for.

Hi dubster101,

Thanks for the reply I will check it out later tonight. I have also watched the video that [jpumphandle] posted.

I always have got stuff to do but I will find time to see if I can do a preset using the MUSYNTH in MU.LAB and do a demo track with it and let you have the preset and musession etc.

If I find a free VST that can do the job even better I will do a preset for that and demo etc and let you have that.

Either way stick around remember MU.LAB can use VSTi so that you will get a "wub" sound in MU.LAB one way or another.

I will stick with this but cannot promise a time.

Anyway I find this stuff interesting.

Bye for now!

OZ

Hi dubster101,

I have just listened to the 3 tracks you listed. I have now got the sound in my head.

The Jahova track demos it very well and the Apples track is another variation on the theme.

These were probably hardware synths but I should be able to get pretty close to the sound.

It is not just the bass it is also the distortion and stereo spread used with automation etc.

OK to do this justice I will take a week on this (obviously not working on it all the time) because as I said I am always doing stuff everyday.

I would normally let a preset write itself and see what comes out, this is different because I am trying to match an actual sound so it will take longer with more trial and error.

You may find another solution before I am finished but I will do this anyway.

I will post a link in this forum topic when I am done.

Bye for now!

OZ

Hi dubster101,

Just a quick update for you.

I have read about Rusko, Dub style music in general and been on some Dub forums.

On most of the forums the VSTi NI Massive keeps being mentioned as a good synth for Dub wub stuff.

There are a few tutorials on YouTube that show how to create wub sound using Z3TA.

I have Z3TA so I will follow the tutorials to see what sound I can get.

I also use Sylenth1 and Synth1 in my own music so I will see what I can do in these two also.

Once I have got the hang of it I will try to create a MUSYNTH patch that can be used natively in MU.LAB.

To me Dub sounds similar to Reggae so I will write some Reggae music and then add my new wub sound to it.

Right now I am working on a lot of electronic sytle music so my ears are in tune with that at the moment. I will set some time aside to get in to a Reggae mode and then start on the wub patches etc.

As I said before I will stick with this but if you find a solution before me I will still do this anyway.

Anyway got loads of stuff to do elsewhere.

Bye for now!

OZ

hi dubster. may i suggest you check out the production forum on dubstepforum.com?

the crew over there is very helpful and there are many topics on there covering the wobble bass tips and tricks. a great start would be the Dubstep Production Tips & Tutorials Resource (previously called the Dubstep Production Bible) and the Datsik And Excision Sounds thread if you're into the heavier sides of dubstep, which i wouldn't approve really. :]

with those resources in mind, mulab is just the PERFECT tool for dubstep production. with it's powerful modular interface, it is possible to make all the bass sounds you can think of, even without using 3rd party instruments. learn about synthesis, read through those topics, learn the ways of MuSynth and you're on your way!

good luck and i'll be happy to help if you have more questions on this topic!
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

I took a shot at a wobble bass using Musynth. It is a little rough and I have some ideas for improvement, but I think it comes close.

dubBass.Musynth (zip)

Install by unzipping to the Mulab/User/Musynth folder

Here's a quickie excerpt - dubbystep (MP3)

Hi dubster101,

Did some stuff on this last night I wrote a reggae song/track and used my prototype MUSYNTH patch.

I will work on this some more then post all that I have done in a day or two.

After looking at a few tutorials and playing with Sylenth1 and Z3TA I decided to create a native MUSYNTH patch. This way you will not need to get another VSTi just to experiment with wubs.

Glad to see others on the forum are helping out. Hopefully this shows you that MU.LAB users are a nice bunch of people and it is worth sticking around.

Bye for now!

Got stuff to do.

OZ

Return to “MUTOOLS”