Targeting different layers in one sequence?

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Using a VST module with multiple layers, I would like to program (not record!) two different layers in one sequence, targeting a single module.

For example, I want to create a single (!) string track targeting "DSK Strings" and arrange a single (!) sequence, that contains notes for viola (layer 1) and cello (layer 2).

How to do this with MU.LAB? I'm still not familiar with midi channels, banks etc., so a little hint would be nice.

You can look at the Mulab tutorials : Using A Multi-Out VSTi Within A Rack

janamdo wrote:You can look at the Mulab tutorials : Using A Multi-Out VSTi Within A Rack
Thank you. Havn't try own MUX configuration 'til now. I will try this, but before:

How do I adress two different notes inside the same sequence to different layers of the VST? Any idea?

just give each sound a note range that doesnt intersect

What VST do you use?

janamdo wrote:What VST do you use?
hate to say it yet again, but short circuit soft sampler will let you do all you ask and much more, and its free! it was developed as a professional sampler product. try it out!

http://vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php

i would suggest version 1.1.2

Reincke wrote:Using a VST module with multiple layers, I would like to program (not record!) two different layers in one sequence, targeting a single module.
It depends.

What do you mean by "a VST module with multiple layers"?

Do you mean that MIDI notes on one channel trigger one set of sounds and notes on a different channel trigger a different set, something like an Organ with pedal, lower and upper manuals on Channels 1, 2 and 3? In this case, the answer is "no", because MU.LAB doesn't allow the channel to be set on Events within a sequence.

Or do you mean one MIDI note will trigger multiple sounds within the VST module? In this case, it's entirely down to the VST and not to do with MU.LAB.

janamdo wrote:What VST do you use?
"DSK Strings", look at http://rekkerd.org/dsk-releases-strings/
(It's nice)
pljones wrote:
Reincke wrote:Using a VST module with multiple layers, I would like to program (not record!) two different layers in one sequence, targeting a single module.
What do you mean by "a VST module with multiple layers"?
At http://rekkerd.org/dsk-releases-strings/ you can read about
the feature "2 Layers", which means two different instruments can be selected and separately configured (ADSR, Flanger etc.). Automation is also possible separately for each layer, because I can see different parameters for both layers in the event editor.

I think it's the first case you pointed out. A simple case:
- one Track targeted to the VST "DSK Strings"
- inside "DSK Strings" select two different instruments in the layers
(e.g. viola & cello)
- create one sequence on that track with two notes

AND NOW: One note should be routed to the viola layer and one note to the cello layer. Possible or not? :?:
Is there any parameter event to select a "layer" of the VST?

I would prefer a solution with MU.LAB, not another DAW, because I like this ease to use and well designed piece of software. :D

I don't know "DSK Strings", but it seems you can set a midi channel for each layer.
Set layer 1 to midi channel 1, layer 2 to channel 2 etc.
Now create tracks with sequences for each layer, set the midi channel of each track accordingly and route all tracks to the same rack where the "DSK Strings" is sitting.

Would that sove it?

Thank you for your answer. Now I have to open the next door ...
AndreasD wrote:I don't know "DSK Strings", but it seems you can set a midi channel for each layer.
Set layer 1 to midi channel 1, layer 2 to channel 2 etc.
I'm sorry, but: How? :roll:
How do I connect a "layer" of the VST with a midi channel?
AndreasD wrote:Now create tracks with sequences for each layer, set the midi channel of each track accordingly and route all tracks to the same rack where the "DSK Strings" is sitting.
For a clear view I would like to arrange the two string instruments in a
single (!) sequence
in a single (!) track.
Aren't there any events that switch a "layer" / midi channel from note to note?

these are samples you want to play from a vst? why are you not loading your samples into a sampler and giving each a range of the keyboard, and then simply play them? all one midi channel, from the same vst, voila, all your problems are gone

> DiGiT < wrote:why are you not loading your samples into a sampler and giving each a range of the keyboard, and then simply play them?
This indeed would be a solution, but the (pretty good) VST is a single DLL-File with embedded samples. :(

i see DSK is a free synthedit vst, and you want to use 2 layers from it independently? why cant you open 2 instances of the plugin? you are on mu.lab free?

oh check out sample robot and make a multi sample from DSK automatically...

Reincke wrote:AND NOW: One note should be routed to the viola layer and one note to the cello layer. Possible or not? :?:
Is there any parameter event to select a "layer" of the VST?
Here you'll find a collection of plugins by ndcMIDI Pack.

http://freemusicsoftware.org/category/f ... ent-filter

Open a MUX and connect to the "Event input" 1 "DSK" and 1 "MIDI Note Trans" plugin.
Connect another "DSK" to the "MIDI Note Trans" output and then connect both DSK to the Audio output.
Work on the "MIDI Note Trans" to transpose the incoming note to whatever you need and this should do it, unless you need to work with harmony.

Also you could Target 1 DSK with a Part(1) and then Copy that Part(2) (and target a second instance of a DSK), do the required adjustments to that Part's(2) notes for the second layer and slide that part(2) on top of the other(1). Now they both play at the same time and you have total control for harmony.
Do not forget to silent the respective layers for each instance of the DSK.

If it's not clear I can explain it in more length.

That may be so many other solutions from more experienced users though...
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

> DiGiT < wrote:i see DSK is a free synthedit vst, and you want to use 2 layers from it independently? why cant you open 2 instances of the plugin?
1. Because of low system resources (netbook).
2. For a better overview on the string section I would like to edit the two instruments in one (!) sequence.
> DiGiT < wrote: you are on mu.lab free?
Yep.
> DiGiT < wrote:oh check out sample robot
and make a multi sample from DSK automatically...
Thank you, well, that's another door to open, if nothing else will succeed.

Return to “MUTOOLS”