Side Chaining?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are there any step by step instructions for performing side chaining within Mulab?

I found some instructions within the following thread:http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/printview ... 56&start=0. But the links to example templates are now broken, and the information appears to be a bit outdated.

I am interested in side chaining with both the compressor MUX, and Stillwell's rocket. An example template for performing basic kick drum ducked bass lines would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help!

p.

Peter, i'm creating a tutorial on this. Talk soon.

mutools wrote:Peter, i'm creating a tutorial on this. Talk soon.
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to this.

This is a tutorial about a amplitude( bass ) controlled sidechain..how about a filter controlled sidechain ?
A good tutorial, but minimal

janamdo wrote:
This is a tutorial about a amplitude( bass ) controlled sidechain..how about a filter controlled sidechain ?
A good tutorial, but minimal
That's not fair...the task was a step by step tutorial how to do sidechaining in MuLab...and that is the video exactly...

Any other sidechain will follow the same rules...if you want a sidechain controlled filter replace the level compressor with a sidechain capable filter, there is nothing different...
If you want to filter the sidechain signal (the kick inthis case) just put a filter (or EQ) between the drum module and the level compressor...there is nothing more to explain...or do I miss here something???

@ Jo: this time even with spoken words => great 8)

Trancit

Trancit wrote: That's not fair...the task was a step by step tutorial how to do sidechaining in MuLab...and that is the video exactly...

Any other sidechain will follow the same rules...if you want a sidechain controlled filter replace the level compressor with a sidechain capable filter, there is nothing different...
If you want to filter the sidechain signal (the kick inthis case) just put a filter (or EQ) between the drum module and the level compressor...there is nothing more to explain...or do I miss here something???

@ Jo: this time even with spoken words => great 8)

Trancit
I must be also not minimal :lol: ,but i mean with not so many words
the tutorial from Jo..with minimal words
Is it possible to make a filter controlled sidechain in MULAB?

janamdo wrote: I must be also not minimal :lol: ,but i mean with not so many words
the tutorial from Jo..with minimal words
Is it possible to make a filter controlled sidechain in MULAB?
What do you mean:

1. a filter, which is controlled by sidechain
2. a sidechain input, which is filtered???

Trancit

I am not a expert, but.. 1. a filter, which is controlled by sidechain is the same idea as a amplitude controlled sidechain

The filter controlled side chain alters the filter of the bass (say there is a drum and bass..like in the video)and not the volume (=amplitude)

You can make a parallel sidechain what chance the volume and sound of the bass
at the same time
Or perhaps serial sidechaining?

I think it's not yet possible with M323 only.
I think we need a Audio-To-Modulation module.

"Audio to Modulation" would be nice -- but I can see it's a bigger job than it sounds. On what do you base the conversion? Pure RMS level? But why not "Audio to Note + Velocity" and then "Event to Modulation"? That could be a lot of fun! :D

Who knows when this module ever will be come out?
Also a midi note recorder module for the catanya plugin should be welcome
To free us from the midi yoke installations ( johnny pumphandle is a expert for this :) )

The best wishes for the new year for all MULAB music lovers :party:

About the "Audio controls filter cutoff":

You can use the Audio-To-Note module, route that to an ADSR and route that to the filter cutoff.

It's not yet exactly what you're asking but it's already halfway and an interesting effect ;)

If you want you can also send notes from the sequencer to that ADSR module for extra triggers!

To demonstrate the Audio-To-Note -> ADSR -> Filter Cutoff patch:

Mp3: http://www.mutools.com/mulab/examples/T ... Filter.mp3

MuSession: http://www.mutools.com/mulab/examples/T ... Filter.zip

Return to “MUTOOLS”