Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Allrighty,

I am pretty new to MU.LAB so forgive the questions, i have been reading the
forum and the tutorials. Still a bit confused about putting my own samples
into one set (drums).

If i want drums on channel one (top one), i right clicked the top empty box
on rack 1 in the rack desk, then insert module, then Synths/MU.TOOLS/ROM/Percussion.
select drumset or gm drums and make new sequence. All good, Ready to play.

sounds are good, but not for my style.
went to the MU.LAB website and downloaded the housekit pack by Johnny Pumphandle.
Very good again, but not for my style.

I would love to have my kit in a selectable way like this.

I have all my kit samples that was recorded on our last album, good quality
sounds. Edited in length and volume, all the best hits. everything has a touch of pan aswell, for realism.
eg. ride is a touch to the right, hihat a touch left, Toms roll left to right and cymbals put in there place.
so when i am playing somthing back it sounds like im sitting at my kit.

I want to put my samples into a drumset.

DO I
A, Copy and rename my samples, so the selection is still drumset,gm or housekit. then my bass drum would be renamed as (eg.congo 1) and placed in relevant folder, so when the note is entered in a sequence it is still triggering (eg.congo 1) but the sound is my bass drum.
(Dont feel right to do that, but im guessing it would work).

B, the next thought i had was, copy a ".MUSynth" file to somwhere else on pc and edit it, like a config file for a game or program.
(im only guessing what this does, could be way off), Edit it to point relevant samples to C1,c#1 ETC. then rename it (BT KIT 01.MUSynth), put samples in Mulab/User/Library/MuSynth/samples, and the new .MUSynth file in Mulab/User/Library/MuSynth. Just like installing housekit pack.

Problem with that is i cant open the .MUSynth file, tried a few things like change it to .txt & .Doc etc. no joy.

It would be nice to be able to do this, just for my self. But i would happily put the synth/drum pack up for download, (if anyone wanted it).

I will be recording this summer with a new kit, 26" Bass drums and a full set of Masterwork cymbals, (Same snare, i love my snare). then i could make a new synth/drum pack, (BT KIT 02.MUSynth).

There is thousands of free drum samples out there, so in theory you could build yourself many styles of kit, if you feel funky or jazzy, the kit of your choice is only a couple of clicks away.

Am i overlooking something?

Have i missed how to do this in a tutorial?

Am i in the right area?

Has this been answered allready?

if so, i am sorry for the long Question & explanation.
Any help on this will be appreciated, im dying to play my kit (on pc).

cheers

M.

Sample List

01 - Bass Drum 01 - (Right Foot/Main/22" x 20" Remo)
02 - Bass Drum 02 - (Left Foot/Secondary/22" x 20" Remo)
03 - Snare Drum 01 - (Main/Noble & Cooley/14" x 5.5")
04 - Snare Drum 02 - (Rimshot/Accent/Noble & Cooley/14" x 5.5")
05 - Tom 01 - (8" x 10" Remo)
06 - Tom 02 - (10" x 12" Remo)
07 - Tom 03 - (13" x 14" Remo)
08 - Tom 04 - (14" x 15" Remo)
09 - Tom 05 - (16" x 16" Remo)
10 - HiHat 01 - (14" Sabian AXX/Main/Hit open)
11 - HiHat 02 - (14" Sabian AXX/clasped/tighter)
12 - HiHat 03 - (14" Sabian AXX/open to shut)
13 - Ride 01 - (22" Sabian AX/Main/Middle Impact)
14 - Ride 02 - (22" Sabian AX/Bell Hit/Shoulder Stick)
15 - Crash 01 - (16" Z Zildjian)
16 - Crash 02 - (18" Z Zildjian)
17 - Crash 03 - (18" Zildjian Custom)
18 - Crash 04 - (18" Paiste/Crash'ride)
19 - Crash 05 - (20" Zildjian/Crash'ride)
20 - Crash 06 - (16" Z Zildjian/STAB)
21 - China 01 - (18" Paiste)
22 - China 02 - (20" Istanbul)
23 - China 03 - (20" Zildjian oriental)
24 - Stick Click - (timing)
25 - Cowbell - (timing)

Trigger List

01 - Bass Drum 01 - C1
02 - Bass Drum 02 - C#1
03 - Snare Drum 01 - D1
04 - Snare Drum 02 - D#1
05 - Tom 01 - E1
06 - Tom 02 - F1
07 - Tom 03 - F#1
08 - Tom 04 - G1
09 - Tom 05 - G#1
10 - HiHat 01 - A1
11 - HiHat 02 - A#1
12 - HiHat 03 - B1
13 - Ride 01 - C2
14 - Ride 02 - C#2
15 - Crash 01 - D2 & D#2
16 - Crash 02 - E2 & F2
17 - Crash 03 - F#2 & G2
18 - Crash 04 - G#2 & A2
19 - Crash 05 - A#2 & B2
20 - Crash 06 - C3
21 - China 01 - C#3 & D3
22 - China 02 - D#3 & E3
23 - China 03 - F3 & F#3
24 - Stick Click - G3
25 - Cowbell - G#3

Building your own multisample drumset is quite easy:

Here is a brief tutorial:

-> New Session
-> Insert a MultiSampla in Rack 1, slot 1
-> Open the multisample editor, it's empty at this point
-> Drag-drop your samples from your system browser onto the relevant keys.
-> Double-click a zone to edit its details

When you have completed your drumkit, at the top of the red MultiSample editor you have a Save As button which will save this MultiSampla patch into the user library (by default that is in Mulab/User/Library).

From then on it's there in the popup patch list :)

Does this help?

mutools wrote:Building your own multisample drumset is quite easy:
It is when you know how, Thanks for this info, i am one happy person now, gonna be up all night playing drums. :D
mutools wrote:Does this help?
Oh yes, Very happy.

A couple of questions then i will leave you alone.....i promise :wink:

if i rename my samples (to stop conflicts) and put them in Mulab/User/Library/MuSynth/Samples, before i drag/drop them in.
will i be able to pass my kit to someone else who has mulab?

when i am done, and i save the MultiSampla patch, does that create a .MUSynth file with the kit name i give on it?

so i can email a folder full of samples and a .MUSynth file, and that person can install my kit in the same way i installed the house kit?

just wondering if there would be file path issues if i moved the samples after i made the MultiSampla patch. If they are not in the same place as when i made the kit.

And a quick question on note placement in a sequence,
would it be wise to assign two keys for one drum, i read somwhere on this forum that it would be best for toms, say for faster fills, i thought changing the grid size while you edit fill, say 1/8th for main beat and for fill placement at end of bar just change the grid to 1/16th to get double the grid blocks, change back to 1/8th to work on main beat.....

do you have to drag note size to get full sample playing, can it be set up that when i put a note on grid it triggers full sample?
this is why i allocated two keys to each cymbal, 20" crash goes on forever!
if i could trigger full sample from a single note block that would save a few keys and would not need two keys per drum.

is this a parameter that has to be set when i make the MultiSampla patch?

Thanks again for the info & the tutorial.

Killchain wrote:if i rename my samples (to stop conflicts) and put them in Mulab/User/Library/MuSynth/Samples, before i drag/drop them in.
will i be able to pass my kit to someone else who has mulab?
Yes, if you save a MuSession or a MUX patch file, and it uses samples that are located in a sub-folder wrt that MuSession/MUX file, then MU.LAB uses relative file path references, and so things should be transferrable.

Please check it out and feedback :)

By the way: I don't understand why you're renaming samples, that should not be necessary.
when i am done, and i save the MultiSampla patch, does that create a .MUSynth file with the kit name i give on it?
Yes.
so i can email a folder full of samples and a .MUSynth file, and that person can install my kit in the same way i installed the house kit?
Yes, that should work, cfr the info above.
just wondering if there would be file path issues if i moved the samples after i made the MultiSampla patch. If they are not in the same place as when i made the kit.
If you move samples afterwards, there will be broken links of course.
In that case MU.LAB will prompt the user about the missing samples.
And a quick question on note placement in a sequence,
would it be wise to assign two keys for one drum, i read somwhere on this forum that it would be best for toms, say for faster fills, i thought changing the grid size while you edit fill, say 1/8th for main beat and for fill placement at end of bar just change the grid to 1/16th to get double the grid blocks, change back to 1/8th to work on main beat.....
You can do that, but you don't have to. Music is often also about experimenting with sounds and techniques :)
do you have to drag note size to get full sample playing, can it be set up that when i put a note on grid it triggers full sample?
You can set the Release time to the max, this will cause a looong release and it will sound as if the samples are played for full length.
Thanks again for the info & the tutorial.
You're welcome! Cheers!

mutools wrote:MU.LAB uses relative file path references, and so things should be transferrable.

Please check it out and feedback :)
All good, went very smooth, i didnt email it to our guitarist, by the time i would have explained it, i could have done it.
So i installed MU.LAB on my other system and tested.
So when i was happy with kit config i made a simple beat using all sounds.
then saved it as a session in the default folder.
then made a new folder on desktop called "user".
in that folder, a new folder called "Library".
in that folder, two new folders called "MuSession" & "MuSynth".
my samples are in the "Library" folder, in there own folder. just copy & pasted over.
copy & pasted the session & synth file to relevant folders.
Done.
put on memory stick,
To install on other system.
Easy, just opened the MULAB folder and dragged the "user" folder over and let it merge folders.
Done.
Played perfect First time.
Kit was in right place. :D

Totally happy.
mutools wrote: By the way: I don't understand why you're renaming samples, that should not be necessary.
When i first started looking at putting my kit in MU.LAB, i was thinking i had to put samples in "user/MuSynth/Samples".

So if i put eg. Kick - 01, from my kit in there and sometime in the future i downloaded another kit like "housekit". there might have been another sample called Kick - 01. didnt want mine to overwrite or be overwritten by another sound.

Now i know that i can house my samples in there own kit folder, i dont need to rename.

I must say your help on these matters has been invaluable.

Thanks for that.

Compliments to MU.LAB

:o That its free
:o That progam is so small
:o That its this user freindly
:shock: That its free!

Cheers.
M.

Thanks Killchain!

Please spread the MU.LAB word as much as possible so it gets more known!

Killchain wrote: :o That its free
:shock: That its free!
You can pay for it. You get more, too :).

Hey Killchain, i'm curious for your drum samples. Is there a way i can listen to them. Maybe make a demo track with your pure drum sounds and upload it somewhere, e.g. soundcloud. Or email me something. Me curious.

mutools wrote:Hey Killchain, i'm curious for your drum samples. Is there a way i can listen to them. Maybe make a demo track with your pure drum sounds and upload it somewhere, e.g. soundcloud. Or email me something. Me curious.
Cool,
i Have sent you a pm, i thought i could attach it to a pm, would prefer to send you an email.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Cheers
M.

Return to “MUTOOLS”