Suppressing playing while recording

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just a quick one as I haven't found the answer here or in the docs. When I record audio in ML it plays the existing tracks at the same time. It must be easy to turn off but I couldn't see how/where...

Why not simply mute the tracks you don't want to hear?

That's possible, but I assumed there was a toggle to switch playback on/off while recording. If you're recording through a mic you don't want the track to play at the same time otherwise it'll get picked up in the recording, no?

This came up when I'd made some instrumental sequences and wanted to record my voice to use as a sample in the track. I used Windows' built-in Sound Recorder in the end, which was a pain as I had to shut ML down due to Asio4All.

So when you record audio in ML through a mic and you don't want to pick up the existing track playing in the background, you need to manually mute the existing tracks, is that right?

nicenoise wrote:That's possible, but I assumed there was a toggle to switch playback on/off while recording. If you're recording through a mic you don't want the track to play at the same time otherwise it'll get picked up in the recording, no?
Unless you're monitoring thru headphones ;)
That's the usual way of recording vocals, the singer needs to hear the music, right?!
This came up when I'd made some instrumental sequences and wanted to record my voice to use as a sample in the track. I used Windows' built-in Sound Recorder in the end, which was a pain as I had to shut ML down due to Asio4All.
You can record the audio directly in MuLab:

http://www.mutools.com/mulab/docs/recording.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOptuz7mQXw

Hope this helps. If more questions, just ask :)

Never, ever have an open mic in use (in the same space) if you're not monitoring on headphones - you're sure to end up with feedback even if you think you're being careful! (I've been on the receiving end of people doing this too often...)

mutools wrote:Unless you're monitoring thru headphones ;)
That's the usual way of recording vocals, the singer needs to hear the music, right?!
Mm, yes. Or muting Audio Output in the Master rack. Light dawns...
mutools wrote:You can record the audio directly in MuLab:
http://www.mutools.com/mulab/docs/recording.html
Yes, that's what I was doing and I read that page hoping to see "this button toggles playback while recording". I see now why there isn't such a button and that it's trivial to deal with, but ideally would have liked a bit more newbie-hand holding from the documentation. Mutools is a large organisation, I know, so I'm sure the 50-man documentation team is working on it right now!
pljones wrote:Never, ever have an open mic in use (in the same space) if you're not monitoring on headphones - you're sure to end up with feedback even if you think you're being careful! (I've been on the receiving end of people doing this too often...)
Exactly!

Return to “MUTOOLS”