M4 Test

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not had much time to play yet. Just a couple of minor points:
- A natural way to set up VST folder from Choose Instrument would be good.
- The "recent projects" list shouldn't list projects that couldn't be opened.

Also, right-clicking anywhere on the session window border could (I won't say "should"...) act like the MuSession menu button... It feels odd that the session window has focus but no context menu.

Jo, I sent you a PM!!!

For VST setup in M4, find your DLL files and drag them into a rack slot. That's pretty fast.
I usually put them into groups in the VST setup for less clutter when selecting.

Andreas

No, it's not. I've far too many to be switching between explorer and MULAB all the time, hunting. I need them organised inside the DAW to be productive. I want this to be a one-time set-up activity, rather than something I have to worry about each time I think of adding something. I don't want to have to think "Have I added it already? Where do I look first?"

AndreasD wrote:Hi Trancit,

Your "DRDRDR.." thing is most probably a looped sample. Look at the right below the sample if it says "Forward". If yes, set it to "No Loop".
Mulab recognizes loops in samples.
Sorry, did you try to reproduce, what I've written??? Of course it's not a looped sample.
1. Open MuDrum
2. Open a sample for MuPad 1 (one shot)
3. Insert either Aux Rack 1 , 2 or 3 in any of the inserts of the leftmost rack (to which MuPad 1 is connected by default)
4. Hit C3
AndreasD wrote: The racks below the pads work like this:
The 1st is the main rack. The other 3 AUX racks send their signal into the main rack. The two top slots are inserts and the bottom two are sends (react on the level set on the volume above the slots).
Example: Only the snare gets reverb. Grab the connection line below the snare pad and connect it to the second rack (AUX Rack 1). Put a Send to AUX Rack 3 in the 3rd slot of this AUX Rack 1. Setup a reverb in the first slot in the last rack (AUX Rack 3). Set levels as required.
I already could imagine, how it should work...perhaps I should be more precise...:
If the sends doesn't work on rack 1, they may not appear in the "Choose module" list of Rack 1, otherwise you get that behaviour, I described above.
AndreasD wrote: Compositions and sessions:
Compositions have their own tracks but use the same racks.
Sessions have their own tracks and racks.
If you want to have 2 songs open at the same time I would use 2 sessions. When the 1st session is open, get back to the small window that opens when you start M4. Click "Open Session" again and load you second song.
Both sessions will be active, but only the one 'in front' will react to transport and will play.
If your sessions take a lot of cpu, you might Offline the session not used by right click the Play button and select "Process on/off". The session will now be inactive and the transport will say "Offline".
In M4 you now can drag/drop (which is a move!) or copy/paste any sequence/part/rack/slot between sessions!
I know the differences and how it works...
What I wrote was: The "Add new Composition" command of the context menu of the composer should as well appear in the new "MUSESSION" menu on the top...

I really searched quite a long time for it.

From my logic:
1.The new MUSESSION menu is the top most and the easiest to reach...
2. Before I can do "Select composition" and "Select next composition", I have to "Add new composition"...
3. If so, it should be on top of the other 2 commands and not only be hidden in a context menu, while step 2 and 3 are much easier to reach...
AndreasD wrote: About the LFO click through, I guess you have done this in MuSynth. Double click on the word "F-LFO" or "P-LFO", which opens the LFO module and you get at least a back and forth button. You can actually click on all headers to open the full module.
Thx for the hint with the doubleclick on the headers...I didn't noticed this before...

About my request: If I counted correctly, there are now 57 waveforms available...
If I look for a special shape, which is perhaps at position 30, it's quite a mess to click 29 times, each time you want to reach this waveform...that's, why I ask for a list like you find at the oscillators...

I hope it's now a little clearer, what I meant to say 8)

Trancit

Yeah, I could also do with a group from folder feature cos I have hundreds of plugins... my auto-group from folder name thing doesn't work with the new files either, although the fix is quite simple. I'll write a little c# app to do this, if there isn't an integrated solution coming. loving the update though, more detailed thoughts soon...

pljones wrote:No, it's not. I've far too many to be switching between explorer and MULAB all the time, hunting. I need them organised inside the DAW to be productive. I want this to be a one-time set-up activity, rather than something I have to worry about each time I think of adding something. I don't want to have to think "Have I added it already? Where do I look first?"
But you know, that the "old way" is still there???

If I open Mulab and a new session, I got two windows open...
1. the startup dialog
2. the new session

In the startup dialog under "Setup" there is the "old" Vst Plug-in Manager", where you can import your whole VST folder in one go...
After importing, you can group your VST's in categories (In the line of the selected VST, doubleclick the rightmost colum (Group), choose "New Group", enter a name and there you go), how they should appear in the "Choose module" list

EDIT: Sadly, you have to do it with every single entry... there is no multi selection possible...

@ Trancit,

OK, I got the "DRDR.." thing. Its a feedback loop as the insert sends the signal to AUX1, which sends it back to the Main rack.
You are correct, this should not happen. I send this to issue to Jo earlier.

Regarding composition selection, I agree. I didn't actually answer you question, sorry, but I wanted to point out that, in M4, I find using 2 sessions easier than 2 compositions.

@pljones
For the VST setup, you could copy the Mulab/user/settings/VSTPlugins.xml from M3.

Andreas

AndreasD wrote:Example: Only the snare gets reverb. Grab the connection line below the snare pad and connect it to the second rack (AUX Rack 1). Put a Send to AUX Rack 3 in the 3rd slot of this AUX Rack 1. Setup a reverb in the first slot in the last rack (AUX Rack 3). Set levels as required.

Andreas
Make this sense to use a send effect for one instrument ?
In this case you can use also a insert effect for the snare.
If there are more than one of the same insert effects are involved for different drum sounds, than you can use send effects.(takes less CPU processing power)

The racks of the Mudrumset acts the same as the main racks seems to me.

AndreasD wrote: Compositions and sessions:
Compositions have their own tracks but use the same racks.
Sessions have their own tracks and racks.
If you want to have 2 songs open at the same time I would use 2 sessions. When the 1st session is open, get back to the small window that opens when you start M4. Click "Open Session" again and load you second song.
Both sessions will be active, but only the one 'in front' will react to transport and will play.
If your sessions take a lot of cpu, you might Offline the session not used by right click the Play button and select "Process on/off". The session will now be inactive and the transport will say "Offline".
In M4 you now can drag/drop (which is a move!) or copy/paste any sequence/part/rack/slot between sessions!

Andreas
As i understand it now..once sessions are saved by the user they become a composition.
Mulab stores the session names and present this as compositions.
Drag/drop or copy /paste is possible between sessions and compositions too

janamdo wrote: As i understand it now..once sessions are saved by the user they become a composition.
Mulab stores the session names and present this as compositions.
Drag/drop or copy /paste is possible between sessions and compositions too
I would say no...

A Session is "the whole MuLab window" with minimum one composition, its corresponding sequence parts, audioparts and the racks, instruments, effects, audio files, routings...it stores the whole song.

A composition is only a new "sequence window" in the same session, which uses the same tracks and racks...
A composition only reflects the midi notes, audio parts and how is all arranged, but uses the same instruments, effects, audio files and routings...
You can name the composition different than the session...

OK..when i should use than a composition versus session mode?
Perhaps can Jo give the answer..but when the new documentation is ready it is also mentioned there i suppose.

janamdo wrote:OK..when i should use than a composition versus session mode?
Perhaps can Jo give the answer..but when the new documentation is ready it is also mentioned there i suppose.
This is a pure theoretical answer:

A different composition you'll use, if you for example want to try out different arrangements of the same song, which use the same instruments, effects and so on...
Different compositions are best compared to A/B Comparisson in many plugins...

A different session you'll use, if you want to change more than the arrangement, i.e. you want to test the melody with a different sound or other effects...
In future, (so Jo will), different session could be used as workaround for multiprocessor support as well, because they will run on different cores...but therefor, Jo has to make some kind of syncing between the different sessions (pressing play on one session will start playback on the others as well)

Practically as AndreasD pointed out in one posting, there are some good reasons to use generally different sessions instead of different compositions...depending on the CPU load and more freedom...

Yes ..thanks for the theoretical answer :wink: and now i must try to get a practical feeling of a session or composition.
Note
i thought till now that a arrangement is a piece music with the same notes but with different sounds, but i must study the definition from arrangement again.

Trancit wrote:But you know, that the "old way" is still there???
AndreasD wrote:@pljones
For the VST setup, you could copy the Mulab/user/settings/VSTPlugins.xml from M3.
Both of these miss the point of making the UI easier to use. I'd like to be able to get into the VST manager from the point I'm dealing with VSTs. A UI should aim for the obvious. However, it definitely should also be under the Setup menu Trancit points to (which I had missed).

Return to “MUTOOLS”