M4 Test

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trancit wrote:
mutools wrote: Which little issues did you have?
Perhaps is a user error, but even then, it should not happen:

I opened MuDrum, loaded a kick sample and experimented with the effect slots in the left corner below...

I tried to load Aux Rack 1 (even, if I don't know exactly, what this do, but I guessed it sends the signal to the second "rack" in MuDrum)...

I hit a key(C3 for triggering the first drumpad) and got a very loud DRDRDRDRDRDRDRDRDDR..., which I could only stopped by choosing panic (rightclick on the start button)...the level meter in the main rack was full red...

I guess, this shouldn't happen...

Next thing (only a little one): I tried to make a new composition and had to search quite a lot, because I thought it should have been in the new "MUSESSION" menu (the big button on top), where I found "select composition" and "select next composition"...I tried a lot to create a new one with the "select composition" command, before I found "Add new composition" in the composer rightclick menu...

For me personally, "add new composition" belongs as well into the new MUSESSION menu, where I've searched it all the time...

Trancit
First of all a general note: In order to spare as much time as possible to continue the M4 works, i will be thrifty (hope the dictionary gave me the right word) with my replies here. I'll only reply when necessary. That said, be sure i will read all messages and process all feedback! Much thanks in advance for all feedback!!

Now that this reply is open:

1) In the next version the feedback loop thing will be less possible as feedback modules will be filtered out of the rack popup module list.

2) Musession menu got a "Add New Comp".

Cheers!

pljones wrote:
Trancit wrote:But you know, that the "old way" is still there???
AndreasD wrote:@pljones
For the VST setup, you could copy the Mulab/user/settings/VSTPlugins.xml from M3.
Both of these miss the point of making the UI easier to use. I'd like to be able to get into the VST manager from the point I'm dealing with VSTs. A UI should aim for the obvious. However, it definitely should also be under the Setup menu Trancit points to (which I had missed).
To be honnest i don't see what's missing. Currently you can:

* Drag-drop DLLs to where you need them (racks, modular editor)
* When a popup list appears with all modules and VST plugins you already used in MuLab, you also have the "Browse for VST plug-in" option for the case you want to use a VST plugin you did not yet use in MuLab.
* Using the Setup -> VST Plug-In Manager you can manage your VST plugins in groups etc. (accepted your remark about multi-selection group changes, implemented this in the next version)

Besides these options, what's really missing for you?

I was expecting to be able to get to the "VST Plug-In Manager" at the point of adding a plug-in to a rack. It would be more useful than "Browse for VST Plug-In", to be honest, in my opinion.

pljones wrote:I was expecting to be able to get to the "VST Plug-In Manager" at the point of adding a plug-in to a rack. It would be more useful than "Browse for VST Plug-In", to be honest, in my opinion.
Yes agree .. under choose module : "Vst" add "VST Plug-In Manager" and remove Browse For Vst Plug..in

I have to agree that the first time I openen M4 and openend a new session that I searched for the VST Plug-In Manager too. Then I realised that it was placed in the separate startup menu Window. It makes somewhat sense, because these are "general" settings, but it also feels a little awkward. I think a lot of users will think when they open a new session that they are "in the program window" so to speak instead of "in a separate session window of the program", and therefore searching for settings that are not located there.

Maybe it could be an option that the startup menu from the "startup menu Window" could also be placed automatically in every Session Window next to the "MuSession" knob?
Last edited by Nielzie on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

janamdo wrote:
pljones wrote:I was expecting to be able to get to the "VST Plug-In Manager" at the point of adding a plug-in to a rack. It would be more useful than "Browse for VST Plug-In", to be honest, in my opinion.
Yes agree .. under choose module : "Vst" add "VST Plug-In Manager" and remove Browse For Vst Plug..in
On the other hand, in the FREE and XT versions it makes very much sense to have the Browse For VST Plugin" option there because they are restricted to use only a certain amount of plugins in one session.

So if you have more plugins and you'll scan your plugins with the VST Plug-In Manager then not all your plugins will be displayed, which means you'll have to browse manually to open the others if needed, right?

But in the VST Plugin manager there is a button : add VSt Plug-Ins what is the same as "browse for Vst Plug ins" or am i wrong?

It is more logical to enter first a VST manager screen ..and from there choose a plug in seems to me

At the point where you want to insert a VST plugin (rack/modular editor), there are 2 possibilities: Or the VST is already in the list, or it is not.
In case 1, you have what you want. In case 2, you want to select the plugin from disk, which is what "Browse For..." does. Giving "VST Plugin Manager" there is not the right option, imho.

janamdo wrote:But in the VST Plugin manager there is a button : add VSt Plug-Ins what is the same as "browse for Vst Plug ins" or am i wrong?

It is more logical to enter first a VST manager screen ..and from there choose a plug in seems to me
I don't agree because if you want to choose a plugin, then you don't want to start grouping plugins etc. Opening the VST plug manager at that point will lead to a bunch of extra clicks in your musical workflow, imho.

I think that the little prob that is talked about here (i.e. where is the vst plug manager?) just arised from the fact that you're used to M3. It will be gone before you know, i think.
Last edited by mutools on Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Also I noticed that the MULAB icon is still not in high resolution. It would be nice if the custom high resolution icon that somebody here made for M3 could now be standard integrated/replaced in M4. :)

In 2011 apps should have high resolution icons imho, otherwise it's not so pretty to look at and stands out from other icons on the desktop when using large icon settings on large screens.

Nielzie wrote:Also I noticed that the MULAB icon is still not in high resolution. It would be nice if the custom high resolution icon that somebody here made for M3 could now be standard integrated/replaced in M4. :)

In 2011 apps should have high resolution icons imho, otherwise it's not so pretty to look at and stands out from other icons on the desktop when using large icon settings on large screens.
I got a nicer icon here but i need to apply a special routine to glue it to the exe and will only do this for the release versions. Thanks for focussing this.

mutools wrote:
Nielzie wrote:Also I noticed that the MULAB icon is still not in high resolution. It would be nice if the custom high resolution icon that somebody here made for M3 could now be standard integrated/replaced in M4. :)

I got a nicer icon here but i need to apply a special routine to glue it to the exe and will only do this for the release versions. Thanks for focussing this.
:tu:

My compliments on the MuSynth, looks and sounds great :D

Only thing I find a bit unusual is how Mutools -> Intruments menu is categorized. I tend to think the "conventional" way so I usually expect that under Intruments there are the actual devices (that are now subcategorized in "Devices" which is a bit hidden between all those preset categories.

Somehow it would make more sense have the devices right after "Intruments" and then a subfolder called "Presets" with then all those subcategories and presets. Or perhaps have only 2 main categories under "Instruments" called "Devices" and "Presets" (with subcategories) :)

I had a quick look at MuDrum, but could really use a small tutorial or something to get me started as I haven't found out yet what I can do with it and how it actually works. I guess at this stage the M4 manuals/tutorials are yet to be released, right?

I found it sloppy to have 2 menu's in MUlab on different places..it confuses me.
- startup menu
- mu session menu

I like to see that the buttons on the startup Mulablogo will be transferred to the Musessionmenu in a second submenu
So there will be a empty startupscreen in MULAB4 it follows the M3 tradition and the logo will not be polluted with other graphics.

So all menu's are accesible in the composerscreen that is clear and there is no confusion with two menuscreens
For me is this the best way for M4 and i hope dat Jo from Mulab agree with me :)

I've been think some more about the VST plugin manager issue and the separate MuLab menu window issue.

Think both issues are related a bit for the VST plugin manager is in the application-level window which is a bit unusual when coming from M3.

I do think though that the "Browse For..." in the popup menu is the right option though, otherwise (when the VST plugin manager would popup there) you would at least have to do 2 extra clicks to do the same job (i.e. select the new VST DLL on disk). (having to click "Add Plugins" and clicking "Done" in the VST manager = 2 extra clicks for same job)

So i think the only issue is the separate application window issue.

So i wonder: Would this be better for you?

http://www.mutools.com/pics/temp/p20111115.png

The MuLab menu would give the same options as the buttons on the mulab logo window now i.e.
  • New Session
    Open Session
    Demo Session
    Setup
    More
    Info
    Quit
So note that the MuLab menu will have an option "New Session" and the MuSession menu will have an option "New".

Won't it be confusing/weird to have these options so close to eachother?

Return to “MUTOOLS”