Dissolve Midi?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all!

Is it possible to 'dissolve' a midi track in Mulab?..i.e can a midi drum track be easily split into its component parts on separate channels for individual eq/effects etc. I remember using this technique a while ago in Cubase...though I prefer to work exclusively with Mulab nowadays.. :)

Regards

It depends.

1) If you want to literally split up the MIDI notes into different parts and have these targeting different instruments, you'd have to do this by hand as far as I know. (i.e. lasso each set of notes and cut-n-paste to a new track.)

2) Whilst a part on a track only has one target, that target may have multiple audio outputs to which you could apply eq/effects individually, if that's what you're after.

3) Alternatively, you could set each note on the track to a different channel (up to 16) and use a MUX to split these out and then have (up to) 16 different MIDI channels to play with (i.e. direct to separate targets).

4) Another alternative is that you apply different channels (as in 3) and target a multi-timbral sound module (similar to 2).

There may be more... (and some of the above may only apply to or have changed in MULAB 4).

In the modulair area ( deep editor ) are some Event processors: Note Key Splitter, Drum note processor and Midi channel Splitter

These modules might be not documented yet.
For the Note key splitter as a MUX used i know (i hope i am correct) this can be used for one octave free assignable instruments for one midi channel
But you want to have these drum sounds on individual midi channels..so the Note Key Splitter don't work here.

So in the pianroll editor with the keynote splitter on every key in a octave you can have a instrument(drum)

It seems the the MUdrum module uses also the Keynote splitter , because there are 12 drumsounds for a octave in the noteroll editor
It was possible to add insert effects to the individual drumsounds in the Drummodule?
Perhaps you can route the Drum note processor sounds to individual midi channels?

Definate food for thought and a few options to delve into there...thanks for the replies..muchly appreciated! :)

Some more food for your thoughts :o
The Mulab drummodule tutorial
http://www.mutools.com/mulab/cedar/MuDrum.pdf

I'm speaking M4 here, forgot all about M3 ;)

The classic 'disolve' as i know it from Cubase, by creating several midi tracks with each containing one midi channel from one track that contain events for up to 16 midi channels, can't be done.

The Logical Selector can't select by channel either.

What you can do is put a MUX in a rack, add a Midi Channel Splitter and add any MuLab instrument/VST for each channel.
Set the tracks Midi Channel to NONE! Otherwise all notes play on one channel.
The downside is that you are now mixing inside the MUX. So, you could do this with the Master rack only.

Return to “MUTOOLS”