M4 Effects - call for ideas [download available]

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AndreasD wrote:Wow, that's a great lot of feedback :) Thanks!

One-by-one:

@Nielzie:
I just sent Jo 2 versions of a Channel Strip.
a) Input w/ HP > Comp > Saturation > EQ > Limiter > Output
b) Input w/ HP > EQ > Comp > Saturation > Limiter > Output
Each module has a bypass, which runs from 0..100. This is parallel Comp/Saturation/EQ. Which is probably the reason why it works so nicely (imho!!) when I checked it as master effect.
Great! Looking forward to using them. Thanks a lot :tu:
AndreasD wrote:Multi Sequencer: Would this be along the lines of what you find in the Instruments/Sequences folder?
More in the lines of Effects/Experimental Units/Filter with multi-effects

But then perhaps different gate sequencers driving different filters, volume and panning (and/or perhaps phaser), in one Unit :)
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

AndreasD wrote:@DiGiT:
Envelope follower: There is no real envelope follower in M4. I could use the Audio to Event module, which triggers on a threshold and can trigger envelopes, effects from there. Osc trigger is possible as well, if it dosn't bother you that you need a note input for this. And it would be monophonic.
I'll give it a try and see how it would work.

i think the audio to event module would work nice since this would be used to fatten up a kick for instance... i think it should have an envelope to shape the sub osc.
What is a side chained spectral imprint subtractor? Can you explain a bit more?
well... imagine subtracting the spectral imprint of a vocal from a complete mix (maybe not 100% but enough to make room)

take a vocal, vocode it using a full mix for the carrier. then take the result, invert the phase and add it sparingly to the full mix. then simply drop your vocal in the same spot... voila! a vocal space scooper outer! :D
Audio crossfader: Can you elaborate? Crossfade by what (LFO, Note, CCs...)?
well i was talking about a simple knob that would crossfade between 2 sources, but any of the above sounds interesting to me! however you think it would work the best.

how about multi band distortion?

just trying to think of a few more

how about a dub injection button? press it and send your input to a second output where there is a reverb or delay... or, send to an additional output and leave the verb/delay 100% wet. you could also put a loopback on the delay with a volume/filter/saturation control for that reinjection sound!

how about an audio ducker?

AndreasD wrote:Can you teach me the how to? I'm either too stupid or too tired to find how to upload. "Goto the product forum and find the upload button" they say.
Well, it seems, that the link I sent - filtered for MuLab patches - does not contain the upload feature. Simply click on "Banks & Patches" in the menu panel and follow the link "upload them here" ... shit - lost in a usability trap. Same "error" as reported by you. Sorry, did it just once last year. Have multiple pushed the reset button in between ...

OK, let's go to http://www.kvraudio.com/product/mu-lab- ... /downloads , where you find a button called "Upload & Share" (and the first mulab patch I uploaded last year). From then it's self-explanatory. I think it's good practice to upload a zip file. Good luck!

EDIT: Hi Jo, would you recommend us to upload patches at this place, or do you have other plans?
         _/_/       _/_/_/
    _/_/_/_/_/_/_/
FEMALE VOICE MuX demo :phones: more by SUNFLOWER LAP ORCHESTRA

Some not so good points:
@Reincke: Thanks for the help :) Upload still doesn't work. I places a note in the KVR server thread. Will update on the progress.

@DiGiT: I checked the envelope follower stuff. Nothing really usable :(
Instead i will put this into the device i mentiond in my opening post:
A device that drops in effects on note press (a bit like Stutter Edit).
The ideas i have so far (all are supposed to work in parallel!)
- Pitchbend down -> LP
- Pitchbend Up -> HP
- ModulationWheel -> reasonance for the above filters
- Bandpass (or band cut, not sure)
- Delay (a nice retro delay with saturation and filter)
- Phaser
- Gater (maybe two)
- Reverb
- auto Riser
- Silence (=cut audio)
- Stutter (not possible atm)
This would cover Nielzie's ideas partly.

About your subbass from envelope follower idea, it will be easier if you just drop a MuSynth in another rack and send the (copied) notes to it.

I thought about the crossfader. There is a routing problem on how to get the two sounds in one rack. Racks have one stereo input only. An alternative would be to do things in a MUX. I'll do a template for feasibility and discussion!

Cheers
Andreas

i just assumed you were using a mux. wow cant wait for more types of modules!

To keep you going until the upload problem is sorted, check the Effects/Echo/Sequenced Delay patch. Just recognized it's already in version 112.

For all you sequence and delay lovers.

Prepared fo upload so far:
- 2 Channel Strip versions
- Follow EQ that sets filter freq to the note played
- Mini Arpeggiator
- Multiband Saturation
- Spectral Freeze
- Template for a crossfade
:)

But that has to wait until tomorrow. It's midnight here...

The M4 release version already contains:
- 1 Channel Strip version (i have an updated user interface, but otherwise its the same)
- Follow EQ that sets filter freq to the note played
- Mini Arpeggiator
- Spectral Freeze (i assigned MW to the Freeze knob. When moving the Freeze knob, this grabs midi focus from the rack to this module . If this bothers you, delete the assignment)

Enjoy!

I have created a download for some effect patches.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62409608/M4%20F ... 20rev1.zip

Let me know if it doesn't work. Just set it up.

What it contains:
- 2 versions of channel strips (they look a bit different than the one in the M4 release)
- Multiband saturation
- Live Effects (set it up in a rack; send some audio into it; set focus on the Live Effect; play notes -> each note activates one effect)

And for good measure some effects that already made it in the M4 release.

Feedback is welcome

these are interesting effects!

so would a transient triggered envelope driven flanger or phaser be too much to ask given the current module list?

Here is a first version. Let me know if this would be something you can use.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62409608/Audio% ... langer.Mux

Adjust the attack and threshold so that the parts above the threshold gets flanged. Adjust the envelope time that activates the flanger (neutral=2sec).

For test purposes the flanger is currently in mono and i'm using a static flanger. For your prefered use in the modular area the unit has an LFO input. But you can replace the Modulation Input with an LFO directly.

you mean i need to apply an lfo to modulate the delay time? can this be done via the envelope?

edit: oh wait i think i have it part way there. i put an envelope in place of the mod input in the deep editor. interesting! wow this actually sounds very good! i just cant seem to get the delay time short enough however. i wonder if im doing something wrong?

This all sounds good, but, after reading and rereading the original post I'm still a little confused about what we're suggesting? Are you asking for ideas for presets made in the mux? I'm new to mulab btw, bought a license a month ago nearly and still not had chance to get into it properly :lol:

The native effects from Mutools are forbidden to chance?
So i think this will be all new user effects

Well it should be handy to see the original effects in Mulab versus the user effects

Note: all effects are made in the MUX format
Perhaps a idea for Mutools to add a usersection for effects and synths in Mulab?

@DiGiT: You don't need to add an LFO/envelope or whatever modulator. But you can :)
I don't have M4 with me right now, but try negative values with envelope levels. This could give you the shorter delay times you need. I'll research this in the next days.

@sl23: to clarify what i am after - i (a M4 user) offer to create and make available effects for other M4 users. I just happen to enjoy doing such stuff. If others have made patches - lets share...

@janamdo: A user section to share synth/effect patches would be a very welcome feature.

Return to “MUTOOLS”