M4.1 Test

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've uploaded new M4.1.4 test packages in http://www.mutools.com/mulab/cedar

The cedar web folder also contains a change-log which tells you what's changed.

Installation instructions: http://www.mutools.com/mulab/docs/installation.html (full package)

Here are the highlights since M4.0.115:
  • SMA has been replaced by a complete MUX resulting in these benefits:
    * Simplified MuLab architecture.
    * You can make a custom Play Editor with session parameters/editors.
    * You can use session-level meta-parameters.
    * Simplified MIDI controller mapping hierarchy.
    * Session Mux Editors can be hidden to the dock.
    * The whole session can be transposed.
  • New Audio Inverter module.
  • New: Integrated user movie recorder.
  • Evolved MuVerb:
    * Includes a filter that colors the reverb only
    * Decay Time up to 100%
    * Instability parameter transformed into Turbulence Amp + Speed
    * Restyled editor
  • MultiSampla now is velocity sensitive by default.
  • Improved multi-monitor support.
  • Audio Lab: [Alt]+click = monitor selection/slice.
  • Finetuned audio alert when crossing limits in MuLab Free/XT, using a soft noise instead of a (creepy?) voice.
  • Several fixes and tunings, cfr change-log.
This M4.1.x is partly intended and partly a consequence of my works on the MuX Vst. That's getting closer too, step by step.

So M4.1 also contains an integrated movie recorder with which you can record all your interactions together with all sound that is going out of MuLab.
This is handy for creating MuLab demos and tutorials for on YouTube etc. I'll use this myself too to make more muvies soon ;)

Some basic info about the muvie recorder:

First of all, currently it's only available in the Windows version.
The function is currently only available by using a shortcut so assign a shortcut to "Toggle App Movie Recording".
The first time you'll get the option to choose a codec.
Your choice is stored in MuLab/User/Settings/AppMovieRecorder.Txt
If you wat to choose another codec, delete this textfile and you'll get the choice again.
By default a 1280x720 screen is recorded. That's why MuLab automaticaly rearranges the window(s).
You can set another size via that same setup file:
ScreenSize=W,H
The resulting AVI files are saved in the MuLab/User/AppMovies folder
I've tested uploading such video to YouTube and it works fine.
Please let me know whether it works fine on your system and if anything should be improved.
I want to keep it basic though because so many other things to do, but i'm open to some necessary finetuning.

Some tip about the codec:
Personally i very much like CamStudio Lossless Codec: http://sourceforge.net/projects/camstud ... .4-w32.zip
It's free, it's easy to install and it delivers perfect screen quality, because it's a lossless compression.
Ok, the resulting video files are larger, also because the audio is stored as plain 16 bit stereo (not mp3).
So the resulting video file is rather large but high-quality.
This has the advantage that the video file is perfectly editable in other software without adding extra (de)compression noise.
And when you upload it to YouTube it might take a bit more time, but that's only needed once, and then the online muvie is high-quality too :)

Ok, that's it for now.

Looking forward to your feedback on M4.1.

Cheers!
Last edited by mutools on Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

so looking forward to testing this, thanks!

EDIT

i get a 404 when i try to reach:

http://www.mutools.com/cedar

:cry:

EDIT 2

aha - it should be:

http://www.mutools.com/mulab/cedar/
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

a recorder? wow that is a very good idea! i bet tutorials will abound in no time. good move!

Jo as in Jenius! :clap: :tu:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Show/Hide Session MUX-----> that sounds for me too alien

Better is : Show/Hide Session Setup

Why not next to the session editor knob a third knob :MUX editor what gives 2 choices : setup and deepeditor.

A third knob is very attractive to explore and gives a idea for the new user
Cannot be missed in a new poll for voting ;)

I'm going to agree with janamdo... There needs to be an inversion of sense somehow. "Session MUX" is now what's containing MULAB? But you can show/hide it? I also like the idea of consistency in having the "Deep editor" button on the MULAB main window if, indeed, that window is just a MUX now... Like I say, there's a sense of inversion here that's hard to explain easily and the UI needs some careful thought. (I wouldn't call it "set up", though, as that implies more that it's "just some settings", which it isn't.)

The rest of it's a bit mind-blowing... :o :-o :shock: 8) :)

It seems that the MUX got promoted to the top level. Is that right?
Application> MUX> Sequencer etc.> more MUX etc? I see some advantages but we need your comments on this.
I :love: the Devices new Icon. Could you use the same colors as in the Logo? They would look fantastic!

bpblog wrote:aha - it should be:http://www.mutools.com/mulab/cedar/
Yes, sorry about that. Edited the original post.

Interesting stuff - downloading now :D

I admire your creativity Jo and realize that Mulab is a somehow a toy ..and therefore you must people give something to play with.. :lol:

janamdo wrote:I admire your creativity Jo and realize that Mulab is a somehow a toy ..and therefore you must people give something to play with.. :lol:
???

I think if you sell Mulab to young people,than it is perhaps for them also important how Mulabs looks.
Imagine your are 16 years old and want to make music
Well the manual is not a favorite spot for them, no they want to learn by doing

janamdo wrote:Show/Hide Session MUX-----> that sounds for me too alien
Better is : Show/Hide Session Setup
Why not next to the session editor knob a third knob :MUX editor what gives 2 choices : setup and deepeditor.
A third knob is very attractive to explore and gives a idea for the new user
Cannot be missed in a new poll for voting ;)
pljones wrote:I'm going to agree with janamdo... There needs to be an inversion of sense somehow.
"Session MUX" is now what's containing MULAB? But you can show/hide it?
I also like the idea of consistency in having the "Deep editor" button on the MULAB main window if, indeed, that window is just a MUX now... Like I say, there's a sense of inversion here that's hard to explain easily and the UI needs some careful thought. (I wouldn't call it "set up", though, as that implies more that it's "just some settings", which it isn't.)
The rest of it's a bit mind-blowing... :o :-o :shock: 8) :)
liquidsound wrote:It seems that the MUX got promoted to the top level. Is that right?
Application> MUX> Sequencer etc.> more MUX etc? I see some advantages but we need your comments on this.
A session itself is not a MUX, it contains a single top level MUX, which can contain any number of deeper MUXes i.e. deeper modular levels.
Compositions can target any module in any deeper MUX level.
I've made a picture that shows the architecture: http://www.mutools.com/mulab/docs/pics/architecture.png
Hope this helps.

Probably by now the MUX should be listed in the Device or Effects or even better by itself being such a powerful subject and components that could be use right the way to hold VST and impress upon the user the modularity of MuLad. It is too hidden away to be the powerhouse that it is.

Question(s)... what's the best way to add an instrument to a blank track in the arrange. i.e. that hasn't been set up as an instrument or audio track? Create a rack and drag it on the track??? And... I don't do much audio stuff, but can MuLab do any time stretching within the program???

:)

Return to “MUTOOLS”