Bug troubles with editor...

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm sorry to report these kinds of troubles, because I cannot nail what the reasons might be, but...

Whether Memory issue or performance glitch, as soon as a song has a certain amount of tracks/complication and instrument memory is getting tight, it seems like the sequence editor is breaking down.

One issue that can happen: The sequence editor doesn't open with graphics, but seems to grab the buffer of the song editor and doesn't refresh with its own graphics. Guessing where the close button is can close it, but MuLab by that time is practically dead and requires restart.

Worse issue: Inside a seemingly properly started sequence editor its no longer possible to do any editing. Cannot draw notes, for example, or controller curves. Saving the song afterwards can and will corrupt the file, leaving you only with hopes that the session.backup was recent enough.

Once the song is complex enough, it's nearly impossible to continue working, because it fails reliably in the above manners. That can be somewhat tragic, actually. I'm having some good fun with the song I'm working on right now, but it appears I have to cut it short now. That is, unless you have some idea what could cause it or a way around the troubles.

I'm using Kontakt 5 extensively and have about 11 subtracks with some heavy instruments. Memory usage is around 1.7Gigs right now. CPU goes up to 37%. This is on a 12core HP Z600 Workstation (Xeon X5650 @ 2.67Ghz), 16GB Ram, Windows 7 64bit.

Just hoping you might imagine what this is... :(

Well, i think you're reaching the 32 bit limit.
As you say you're using 1.7 GB, add to that some hundreds of MB of system memory, and there you get the 2 GB limit of a 32 bit app.

If we want to ensure ourselves that this indeed is the problem, then please goto main MULAB menu -> Help -> Start logging, then continue until you get some of the reported probs, then quit MuLab and email me the latest Log-yyyymmdd-hhmmss.txt in your MuLab folder. I assume it will contain some error logs at points where memory allocation fails.

If this is indeed the problem, then this is where MuLab 64 bit is needed.

At this point the only solution wrt MuLab 4 is to optimize memory usage as much as possible eg delete any unused memory consumers.

I did read 64bit MuLab, I really did! (puuuush, puuuush)
Yep, I'm also quite certain that the issue lies there. I realize that I'm a bit generous with my consumers in the song, haha, somewhere between the Alica Key's Piano and the Stradivari things get a bit hungry, I'm sure.

Well, if your code is open enough to go through a 64bit compile without severe alterations...I'd be thrilled if you gave it a shot. :)

However, I'll see that I send you a Log file. Might be good to have some sort of exception check to send out a warning as opposed to going haywire.

For now I substitute my choirs for the horns and flutes I was gonna add... (eeek, the pain). But it's a fun tune, I think. I finally figured out how to wield the stradivari without it freaking out, which is quite amazing! :D

Anyway, thanks already for your excellent responsiveness. I really enjoy watching MuLab climb up that hill! ROCK ON!

Here's a link to the song... which is unfinished in many ways, but well...still...there it is:
http://sclk.co/s6xgnt

Taron wrote:I did read 64bit MuLab, I really did! (puuuush, puuuush) -
Well, if your code is open enough to go through a 64bit compile without severe alterations...I'd be thrilled if you gave it a shot. :)
I don't think there will be a prob code-wise, it's just a matter of collecting the cash for the necessary soft and hardware...
Anyway, thanks already for your excellent responsiveness. I really enjoy watching MuLab climb up that hill! ROCK ON!
Thanks for your encouragements, much appreciated :)
Last edited by mutools on Sun May 13, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taron wrote:Here's a link to the song... which is unfinished in many ways, but well...still...there it is:
Wonderful & inspiring creativity!! :phones:

Thanks!
I'm doing my 64bit compiles with MSVS2010 Express and the Windows SDK. Works like a charm and costs nothin'. ;)

But I understand.

Hey, i'm surprised to read this, i thought express didn't compile for 64 bit,
cfr http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hs24szh9.aspx

So it does compile for 64 bit? :o

Taron wrote: I'm using Kontakt 5 extensively and have about 11 subtracks with some heavy instruments. Memory usage is around 1.7Gigs right now. CPU goes up to 37%. This is on a 12core HP Z600 Workstation (Xeon X5650 @ 2.67Ghz), 16GB Ram, Windows 7 64bit.

Just hoping you might imagine what this is... :(
Perhaps you do know the existence of this videotutorial made by @Andreas how to setup a Kontakt multitimbral Vsti in Mulab?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62409608/Kontakt%20in%20M4.wmv
For the 16 out Kontakt you have 8 midi channels than..

Don't put it in a rack, put it in the MUX directly...the VSti Kontakt

Taron wrote:Here's a link to the song... which is unfinished in many ways, but well...still...there it is:
Genious!!! :clap: :hail:

I still clearly remember the tunes you made for M3! (And a very nice flute modulation ;) )
Nice to see you back here!
Last edited by Juan Mendoza on Sun May 13, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Janamdo, I don't know the tutorial, but I always make subtracks and give them incremental midi channels, therefore I only have one Kontakt instance. I'm curious about the audio channels, though...couldn't see a way to make use of them in mulab, yet. I'll check it out for sure, thanks!
(AWESOME, THAT's VERY COOL, THANKS!!!)

Ehehe, yes, it DOES compile 64bit and without a problem. Only mild hickup I'm having is that I need to set the 64libs folder explicitly, because the registry doesn't seem to differentiate between 32 and 64bit with the folder pointer... or so, I'm not an expert on registry or windows. Anyway, no problem at all.
Last edited by Taron on Sun May 13, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WAH, thanks, Juan! That's very nice to hear of being remembered! :)

Hmmmm...somehow that tutorial up there may not be up to date or I don't know how to get to the arrangement of Racks, because right now I can't dock created racks out of the Modular Window in the main window, for example. Also it has the other disadvantage of not allowing realtime play interactivity while adjusting rack parameters. I prefer my ordinary method for now, but I'll have a look at it again, or if anyone has evolved the idea and adapted it to the current version of mulab. Still inspiring, though.

Taron wrote:Hmmmm...somehow that tutorial up there may not be up to date or I don't know how to get to the arrangement of Racks, because right now I can't dock created racks out of the Modular Window in the main window, for example.
That happens automatically: If you create a rack in the rack desk, you also see it in the Session MUX and vice versa.
Also it has the other disadvantage of not allowing realtime play interactivity while adjusting rack parameters.
How do you mean?

Taron wrote:Ehehe, yes, it DOES compile 64bit and without a problem. Only mild hickup I'm having is that I need to set the 64libs folder explicitly, because the registry doesn't seem to differentiate between 32 and 64bit with the folder pointer... or so, I'm not an expert on registry or windows. Anyway, no problem at all.
Ok, thanks. That's a step forward :)

Return to “MUTOOLS”