=== MUX Request List ===

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Id like some tinfoil to make the fractals go away
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I tried that, trust me they don't:D
What is the structural integrity of a compound when it is broken down to its wave form?

The same as everything else that surrounds it.

https://soundcloud.com/zendrix

kingtubby wrote:
liquidsound wrote:Wouldn't be awesome to have a standalone version for the MUX where you can use it to load other VST?
I'd love a standalone Mux :)
+1

default assignements for Modulation Wheel and Volume:

Modulation Wheel (CC=1):
Rotary Speed or Vibrato

Volume (CC=7):
Instrument Master Volume

Hermu wrote:default assignements for Modulation Wheel and Volume:
Please, no. In a modular environment, this makes no sense. A MIDI CC number that is set by "General MIDI", rather than the MIDI data protocol itself, should not be implemented in anything that doesn't claim "General MIDI" compliance by default. If you need this, write a "Empty GM" patch, maybe?

pljones wrote:
Hermu wrote:default assignements for Modulation Wheel and Volume:
Please, no. In a modular environment, this makes no sense. A MIDI CC number that is set by "General MIDI", rather than the MIDI data protocol itself, should not be implemented in anything that doesn't claim "General MIDI" compliance by default. If you need this, write a "Empty GM" patch, maybe?
i don't understand, because "General MIDI" standard exists since 1991 and all of my actual 3rd party VSTi support this features for Modulation Wheel and Volume except MUX.
why should i write a patch to use "General MIDI" data protocol, altough most users today use keyboards with "General MIDI" data protocol?

Hermu wrote: i don't understand, because "General MIDI" standard exists since 1991 and all of my actual 3rd party VSTi support this features for Modulation Wheel and Volume except MUX.
why should i write a patch to use "General MIDI" data protocol, altough most users today use keyboards with "General MIDI" data protocol?
Because a Modular environment is meant to be "free". In a modular environment you want full control of everything from the start without needing to deal with "pre-set" mappings, parameters, etc...

It just makes for a better modular synth. For any "standard" or semi-modular synth I'd agree. But when it comes to full out Modular I'd prefer if my environment wasn't already set up to someone else's needs.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Hermu wrote:why should i write a patch to use "General MIDI" data protocol
There is no such thing. General MIDI is a definition of how to interpret the MIDI data protocol wire standard. It's a mapping on top of the data, not the data itself.

pljones wrote:
Hermu wrote:why should i write a patch to use "General MIDI" data protocol
There is no such thing. General MIDI is a definition of how to interpret the MIDI data protocol wire standard. It's a mapping on top of the data, not the data itself.
i'm not shure if i understand it right, i must assign my Keyboard Volume Control (CC=7) and my Keyboard Modulation Wheel (CC=1) for each MUX instrument seperatly?
there's no way to do it for all MUX instruments at once?

You could edit the Basic Synth patch to get it in every Basic Synth-based patch you create. What if you have a MuX with no concept of "Modulation Wheel"? What would it be expected to do? It's nonsense to pre-route it. It's completely dependent upon the MuX patch as to what "Modulation" means. Equally, where in the MuX should a volume control be applied? Maybe you'd like to have it automate the Mux main output? Or maybe you want to leave it free to automate one of the components. Again, it's completely dependent upon the MuX patch.

MuX is not a GM synth.

pljones wrote:You could edit the Basic Synth patch to get it in every Basic Synth-based patch you create.
not practicable, because a stored Basic Synth is a user preset instrument and a Synth based instrument loads always factory Basic Synth.
pljones wrote:What if you have a MuX with no concept of "Modulation Wheel"? What would it be expected to do? It's nonsense to pre-route it. It's completely dependent upon the MuX patch as to what "Modulation" means.
naturally nothing - MUX is modular: no module - no action.
pljones wrote: Equally, where in the MuX should a volume control be applied? Maybe you'd like to have it automate the Mux main output? Or maybe you want to leave it free to automate one of the components. Again, it's completely dependent upon the MuX patch.
it could be helpfull to define this in a configuration file:
eg:
Amplifier/Gain=7 (Volume)
Main Amp/VOL=7 (Volume)
Tremolo/Speed=1 (Modulation)
Rotary Speed=1 (Modulation)
this values can be assigned with controller mapping for each instrument seperatly and could only be stored as user defined. But it's not working, because after loading this user defined instruments again strored values are lost :(
pljones wrote: MuX is not a GM synth.
GM or not is not relevant in this case and modular should have more flexiblity than a standard synth, to add also MIDI controller modules - Modulation, Volume, Sustain, etc.

MuX has no concept of these things. They are to do with the patch and the purpose of the patch, not MuX itself.
But it's not working, because after loading this user defined instruments again strored values are lost
Are you saying that your project loses a mapping you have created? Because it shouldn't. Have you double-checked the routing is to the appropriate module in the MuX - rather than "focus"?

pljones wrote:
hermu wrote:...
MuX has no concept of these things. They are to do with the patch and the purpose of the patch, not MuX itself.
why not?
under Factory Presets/Effects/Amplifier we have Temolo and under Factory Presets/Effects/Modulation we have Lesslie
pljones wrote:
hermu wrote:But it's not working, because after loading this user defined instruments again strored values are lost
Are you saying that your project loses a mapping you have created? Because it shouldn't. Have you double-checked the routing is to the appropriate module in the MuX - rather than "focus"?
this means MUX itself has no concept to store MIDI controller settings for MUX instruments.
that implies that all MIDI controller settings must be reassigned for each new loaded MUX instrument, also for those which was already assigned in the same project.

sorry, but this MUX MIDI controller handling is realy unpractical and my motivation to use MUX again is gone.

Of course MUX can handle MIDI controllers, see http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mux/us ... llers.html

The only thing (cfr what pljones & dakkra are saying) is that there is no 'fixed' MIDI controller setup for MUX because MUX is a modular environment. So imagine you have a MUX synth, then it depends on the MUX patch whether it contains a vibrato sub-module or not, and so it's not sure whether MIDI CC 1 would be relevant.

But in any case, for any MUX patch you can setup MIDI CCs as you want, cfr the above doc page.

mutools wrote:Of course MUX can handle MIDI controllers, see http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mux/us ... llers.html

The only thing (cfr what pljones & dakkra are saying) is that there is no 'fixed' MIDI controller setup for MUX because MUX is a modular environment. So imagine you have a MUX synth, then it depends on the MUX patch whether it contains a vibrato sub-module or not, and so it's not sure whether MIDI CC 1 would be relevant.

But in any case, for any MUX patch you can setup MIDI CCs as you want, cfr the above doc page.
i know this, but that's not what i meant.

example:
- create a new project
- create a new MUX track (Basic Synth)
- edit MIDI controller map
- add Mapping Amplifier/Gain with Source 7=Volume from (Poly Synth)
- now volume for Basic Synth can be changed on keyboard

- create a new MUX track (Basic Synth)
- volume for Basic Synth can't be changed on keyboard, because MIDI controller map for this instance is empty.

what i mean: if you have configured MIDI mappings for the first MUX instrument instance so you must do this again for every new MUX instance indepentent you have it already configured before or not.

the problem is, after a new instance of MUX is loaded the MIDI controller map is empty.

SONAR X2a
Windows 8

Return to “MUTOOLS”