Making MuLab More Obvious & Easy

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yay! glad someone agrees with me :D

:D What about a step sequencer in MuDrum? ;) Then be able to insert patterns in the composer window, kinda like Redrum. It's very nice at 5:20 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3zs3SV6NQk I don't know if it will make Mulab more obvious though.

But i think of this about the multi out again that you have to go to the Mux. Maybe if a multi out instrument gets subfolders in the rack desk or something like collapsed racks?

Wicked idea! Even better, how about a seq in the MuX? Oh, I already said that didn't I! :oops:

sl23 wrote:Wicked idea! Even better, how about a seq in the MuX? Oh, I already said that didn't I! :oops:
FYI: The MUX already has a sequence player. But maybe you mean a 'traditional' step sequencer? It's also on the wishlist.

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant and I wasn't bumping, honest m'lud, I was jus' jestin' :cry:

One thing I really dislike in MuLAB is MuLAB asking me EVERY DAMN TIME what I want to do with the clip end when I stretch it. I always want to extend it, just extend it, and nothing else. It's one of most often things I do when dealing with MIDI. I think that having mouse modifiers would really help this (like, regular stretch would just extend, Ctrl+stretch would loop the source along, Alt+stretch would extend AND timestretch the MIDI data in, etc.)

I'm also not gelling well with the default "loop source" way of working (I have this disabled in Reaper as well).

EvilDragon wrote:One thing I really dislike in MuLAB is MuLAB asking me EVERY DAMN TIME what I want to do with the clip end when I stretch it. I always want to extend it, just extend it, and nothing else. It's one of most often things I do when dealing with MIDI. I think that having mouse modifiers would really help this (like, regular stretch would just extend, Ctrl+stretch would loop the source along, Alt+stretch would extend AND timestretch the MIDI data in, etc.)
Absolutely. I've had exactly the same thought re. modifiers to eliminate many of the prompts.

Because there are too many, in my opinion. I'd map the most likely common operation as the default and then the others to the modifiers. The thing is, stuff like this is great for new users. But new users who like a program won't remain new users, and what was originally a benefit at one part of their journey with a program can quickly become a cost to the rest. I don't think the trade-off is worth it, because no-one's ever gonna go back to being a new user.

EvilDragon wrote:One thing I really dislike in MuLAB is MuLAB asking me EVERY DAMN TIME what I want to do with the clip end when I stretch it.
You mean when changing the length of a selection of notes in the sequence editor?

Hmmm... No, I mean changing the length of the looped section in the MIDI editor, I think. There should be an option to disable this looping behavior (both globally and per item). I just want to extend the length of the item without any looping, this is by far one of most often things I'm doing when composing. And I can't see a way to do this extending from the arrange. Alt+dragging clip edge will just loop the source. I don't want that, I just want to grab the edge (without modifiers) to extend the item...

Reaper is super fast in this regard - it will even auto-extend an item if I enter a new note in MIDI editor that's outside the item range. That would be awesome as well.

I believe the best way to deal with this is to have a mouse modifier section - it's a lot of work (as it was in Reaper's case, too), but it provides the best possible flexibility.

BTW, just a disclaimer - I don't want MuLAB to become Reaper, that's not what I'm asking for, and I presume that's what Jo doesn't want either. :) However, a good feature is a good feature, and Reaper is chock full of them. :D

EvilDragon wrote:No, I mean changing the length of the item (or how you call it, clip). By default it will loop the source (which I dislike) - doesn't matter if I do it from arrange or from MIDI editor. There should be an option to disable this behavior. I just want to extend the length of the item without any looping.
Sequence parts are only looped if there is a loop in the sequence. To remove a loop in a sequence delete the 'Loop End' marker.

When drawing a new empty sequence part, MuLab indeed auto sets a loop at the end point of the newly drawn part. Maybe that's something you don't like?

Yeah, that's it, I guess. It's the same as "Loop source" being default in Reaper, each item you draw in is automatically looped for the length you've drawn in. Since I'm not really into loop-based production, I disable this default behavior so that each item is created without being looped.

BTW sorry if my terminology is out of whack. I'm still acquainting myself to MuLAB :)

Also - is there any way to change the mousewheel behavior for zooming/scrolling?

EvilDragon wrote:Yeah, that's it, I guess. It's the same as "Loop source" being default in Reaper, each item you draw in is automatically looped for the length you've drawn in. Since I'm not really into loop-based production, I disable this default behavior so that each item is created without being looped.
I've added a note on the wishlist about adding a preference for this. By the way, fyi: There also is a note on the wishlist to make all preferences editable from within the app so it gets much more easy to find and edit preferences.

EvilDragon wrote:Also - is there any way to change the mousewheel behavior for zooming/scrolling?
Yes: See http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/common ... ences.html

Look for the EditorNavigation preference.

Yeah, you definitely need to have Preferences window in-app. That's kinda the norm, anyways? Most programs have "Preferences", "Properties", "Options", usually, no? :)

Thanks for pointing me to the docs, I'll have a closer look at them.

Return to “MUTOOLS”