Making MuLab More Obvious & Easy

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

robenestobenz wrote:The name part pop-up after a take is another one that I find a bit intrusive. I personally prefer to do housekeeping tasks like naming things separately from the performance aspect...
Ah yeah! :) I'd go with this -- auto-name everything when it's created after a take! If I'm not happy with the auto-names, I'll go change them later.

speaking of ini, how do i set autosave? I remember you wrote it was 15 min default?
:hug:

Crackbaby wrote:speaking of ini, how do i set autosave? I remember you wrote it was 15 min default?
http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/common ... ences.html
Last edited by mutools on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

liquidsound wrote:New Session brings up a dialog asking "New Session into..."
From the many posts it seems that very few user use additional sessions.
It could be cleaner to just use the default "This Session" and possibly use a menu command such as "Add Session" when an additional session is needed.
That indeed sounds better. Anyone disagrees?

engine wrote:sorry for interrupting.
is it already possible to dock the pianoroll
(at the lower half of the screen for exampe)?
if not, feat.- request.
You can move/resize the pianorol window as you want and MuLab will memorize your preference. That way you can do what you want, no?

robenestobenz wrote:The name part pop-up after a take is another one that I find a bit intrusive. I personally prefer to do housekeeping tasks like naming things separately from the performance aspect...
pljones wrote:Ah yeah! :) I'd go with this -- auto-name everything when it's created after a take! If I'm not happy with the auto-names, I'll go change them later.
FYI: That dialog also functions as an easy way to cancel the recording. But recordings can be undone so that's not vital.

Any other opinions about this "Name" dialog box after recording? Remove it from the workflow?

Reincke wrote:
mutools wrote:Which are the other 'annoying' alerts?
I think every destructive and non undo-able function should be worth an alert. Maybe this behaviour could be configured via an ini file on day?
JR
I agree that you have to prompt in this scenario, I'd think very few people would want these alerts disabled, with the potential to lose work that would introduce. But they're still annoying, especially in MuX. The ideal is of course to have undo/redo coverage extended so that the alerts aren't necessary any more.

It's much easier said than done, I've some experience of how implementing undo/redo is not at all a trivial thing.
liquidsound wrote:New Session brings up a dialog asking "New Session into..."
From the many posts it seems that very few user use additional sessions.
It could be cleaner to just use the default "This Session" and possibly use a menu command such as "Add Session" when an additional session is needed.
I like this idea.

pljones wrote:
Ah yeah! :) I'd go with this -- auto-name everything when it's created after a take! If I'm not happy with the auto-names, I'll go change them later.
I'll go for this one but it would be even faster when I don't want to save a take, and you are in the moment flowing, to have a shortcut to Undo the Take and rewind to the previous recording position ready for more....
Right now I just push Escape to cancel and start again. What I miss is one touch rewind to position.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

mutools wrote:
Crackbaby wrote:speaking of ini, how do i set autosave? I remember you wrote it was 15 min default?
http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/common ... ences.html
What a goldmine!! Thanks!

While I've complained about the current multi-session being useless... I still think it's possibly a cool feature that just needs to be implemented better. I would like to use this to create alternate versions of a session (mini compositions) if they could be dragged into the "main session" somehow? And these variations being docked windows on the arrange. But seems like the docked window thing caused the big argument thread, so maybe that's not a good idea to go there at this point. Ha! But regardless, I still think it's a valid feature if made useful somehow.

I like being able to discard a recording or merge or whatever... that works AFAIK.

I think there is somewhat of a disconnect between the racks and tracks... is flexibility possibly confusing?

Would be nice to be able to dock the editor window with the arrange like the racks... resizing is tedious/difficult for me, and that applies to the multiple session issues as well. Like if it was easier to resize windows in MuLab I'd be more likely to use that. Maybe a Mac issue. It's really hard to resize stuff on the Mac.

:)

By easier to resize windows, do you mean bigger buttons? They are kind of small ......

I've started to use a multi-timbral VSTi (TX16Wx) and thus add tracks and change midi channel a lot. A request would be so that i could use the righclick/change midi channel, but be able to use the scrollwheel instead of reaching for the numpad.

If you have a track with a corresponding rack and then pull out the top module (in this case a multi output vsti), the track goes empty. The button used for opening it's target gui (far left of the track) is gone. Maybe there could be a button that would open up the "Choose Targed Module" dialog?

DHR53 wrote:I think there is somewhat of a disconnect between the racks and tracks... is flexibility possibly confusing?
Absolutely not for me -- it's a fundamental part of what makes MuLab special.

Trancit wrote:a toolbar, from which often used functions are immidiately visible and usuable could help a lot.
Just thinking:
Imagine there would be a customizable toolbar in MuLab.
Then which functions would you assign to such toolbar buttons?

mutools wrote:Just thinking:
Imagine there would be a customizable toolbar in MuLab.
Then which functions would you assign to such toolbar buttons?
MACROS! :love:

Well, shortcut chains if macros are not possible in the real sense of programming
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Please give some concrete examples. What i'm wondering about (technically) is when the user clicks a toolbar button, then to which object should it be applied? In many cases it may be obvious but maybe sometimes not. So that's why i'm asking for concrete examples so to get a better view on what users would actually do with such toolbar(s).

Return to “MUTOOLS”