MuLab 5.0.31 Test

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Have to say, I completely agree with all those ideas from Nielzie. Especially the last three. Definitely needs more user prefs too. And while you're at it, tidy that damn menu up will ya! :P

Please don't forget, that MuLab at least atm is more based on the free shortcut system than on clickable items on the screen and for me personally, the shortcut system is much much faster than navigating the mouse pointer on the screen...
Nielzie wrote: And for instance some options like:

- Set the default path for samples or tag different maps with samples as "favourites" so they will be two clicks away. Same for presets.
Dunno, if it answers your request, but you can define favourites in the "normal" file browser, which opens, if you choose an "Import" command from the Session menu...
These favourites show up in the session browser too (Where - box) and if I remember right, it's state is saved in the session too

Nielzie wrote: - set the option to always start with a new session, a particular template or the las openen preset (and bypass the welcome menu), so we don't have to choose and click everytime in the welcome screen menu to continue.
For me not very important, but I can understand the request...
Nielzie wrote:So many options in one Session Menu looks a bit cluttered to me personally. maybe some options could be grouped there, or perhaps there is another way to unclutter it a bit.

"Show Browser" and "Show Session MUX" Should be "Show/Hide Browser" and "Show/Hide Session MUX" I think, just like "Show/Hide Rack Desk".
I noticed this too... not very important though but can irritate newbies...
Nielzie wrote: A dedicated little button somewhere on the main GUI to open/hide the Session MUX would be way more convenient and intuitive imho. And what about an option to automatically open the Session MUX window everytime by default when starting/opening a session?

Would also be cool to hide the browser window with a click on a little sign on the browser GUI and unhide it the same way. Same with the Rack Desk.

Just some ideas to straighten out some rough edges.. Hopefully you don't mind the critique :)
Everything here is imho by far more elegant using a shortcut...
Only advantage I could see in visible buttons: Easier to use for newcomers...
Please don't misunderstand me... no offense here, but I cannot agree with much stuff here :-)

Shortcuts are good if you have your hand at the typing keyboard - not the playing keyboard.
Mulab must be good for people no matter where they usually rest their hands.. :)
:hug:

Not everyone likes using the keyboard not just newcomers

I never use shortcuts in any program :oops: Not since Windows 95 anyway :D

And in fact I think that many don't use them that much too..
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Having a mouse with lots'a buttons helps a lot :)
I have ctrl, alt, shift, enter and session mux just a click away.

Haven't tried out newest version yet (too busy finding a freaking job) but I've read about the new colors and would suggest 'themes' with option to keep old theme or new.

There are several themes ... 20+ i think. Light and dark and then with several color variations. If any of them is the old one, i don't know. I went for the dark with blue and then tweaked the background a little darker :)
Mr Burns wrote:Excellent 8)

Nielzie wrote:I never use shortcuts in any program :oops: Not since Windows 95 anyway :D

And in fact I think that many don't use them that much too..
I only use cut/copy/paste, that's when I remember to use them :lol:

OK, all you shortcut haters... :hihi:

But you are aware, that Mulab is 20-30 times faster by using them???
I can really only recommend to everybody to make extensive use of the Mulab shortcut system... many things are so much easier with it...

Anyway, it's a matter of taste and perhaps Jo will answer to your prayers... 8)

If you use CS5 all day, week in and out... you have to use shortcuts. A LOT of em' I don't want to use my mouse for anything except moving objects on the screen. Period. I would shortcut everything if I could... although it is hard to remember em all with work and DAW apps.

:)

Well, you guys (and the developer) should consider the fact that you are probably far more computer technically skilled then most musicians, that just want things as easy laid out for them as possible and make music :)

If it's the goal to use the shortcut system as much as possible and to configure settings in txt files, dive deep into menu's, etc. then MuLab is presumably aimed at more technical users/musicians.

Nielzie, about the text file preferences: That's gonna change, all will be easily editable from within MuLab. I already implemented part of that functionality, it will certainly come thru in a future version, but i don't have the time anymore to put it in M5.0. Note that we're only talking about more technical prefs, for the most important preferences are already accessible from within MuLab.

About the menus: I don't see the big prob, even for users that don't like to use shortcuts. For example: Whether the app settings are grouped in a single tabbed/treelisted dialog or accessible via a bunch of separate menu options does not make a big difference, imho, the number of clicks will be the same i think. And anyway, editing setups is something that is only done rarely, most of the time your setup will stay stable and you'll be concentrated on making music, right?

Thanks Jo, that's good to know. :)

About the GUI, I'm a little spoiled I guess. Cakewalk Sonar X2 has a very neat feature that I think could be interesting for MuLab too at some point: Saved Workspaces.

With that you can easily save a screen layout under a button and quickly switch between them (only requiring 1 shortcut key :) ). For instance a layout with File Browser hidden and Rack desk visible. Or one with both hidden and both visible. Or one with Session MUX Window opened and one with it hidden. One only showing the Midi tracks and one showing Audio tracks. Different color sets. Etc. All in the same session of course.

I find the menu a little bit too long for getting an overview. How about splitting it in half? File / Session?

One with save, load, audio import etc and one for everything else?

It's hard to describe the psychological works in this, but it is as if after going through the first half of the menu, the rest gets "blurred". I've been using Mulab for a fairly long time, and i must admit i have never looked at the lower part. I look at it but i can't understand what it says.
*eureka moment*
So you CAN* focus modules! I've been meaning to ask you about this for a long time :lol:
This time i forced myself reading it (ie going against what i do intuitive).

I hope i made some sense! :)

*It wasn't what i thought it was at first though :( What im after is basically a little checkbox of some sort on a plugin that lets me focus it with my midi keyboard. This is important when having an instrument in the session mux and not in a rack. If i have a plugin instrument in session mux routed into an effect in session mux, the midi input to the instrument will stop if i select the effect. As you need to use this way to make full use of multi-channel instruments you loose the ability to play the instrument on the midi keyboard and edit an effect at the same time.

Return to “MUTOOLS”