MuLab 5.0.31 Test

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can anyone confirm the above? :)

EvilDragon wrote:Can anyone confirm the above? :)
Confirmed here. And about the 14bit parameters :).

EvilDragon wrote:Logical Editor:

Mode - Select
Time - Any
Type - Equal - Parameter
Changing "Value 1" from "Any" to any other option here crashes MuLab. This is with a newly created project or any demo project.

This does NOT happen if you first selected some other Type and Value. But if you then change Type to Parameter, and change Value 1 to "Any", then to any other option, crash again.
Yes i can repeat the crash. Fixed in the next M5 test verion.
Also when using Inside/Outside for Parameter or Controller, there's no dropdown arrow available because the strips are too wide and Logical Editor window cannot be resized
Fixed in the next M5 test verion.

Thanks for reporting.
On the subject of Logical selector - wouldn't it be better if pitch bend would be shown as 14-bit range, either as unipolar (0 to 16383 with 8192 being center) or bipolar (-8191 to +8192)?
Why?

mutools wrote:
On the subject of Logical selector - wouldn't it be better if pitch bend would be shown as 14-bit range, either as unipolar (0 to 16383 with 8192 being center) or bipolar (-8191 to +8192)?
Why?
14bit MIDI controller values are usually described everywhere else (than MuLab) as integers either centred on zero or rising from zero. Having to convert to a float is difficult. One might equally have Note On Velocity running from 0.0 to 1.0... (It's fine to have the float for internal parameters.)

But what's the added value of that in today's context? Where do you need to know whether a pitchbend value is 9876 or 9877? I think that a percent value (as that's what it's intended to be, to be tuned) is more user friendly, i.e. Pitchbend value "75% Up" is more user friendly than value "14335". No?

Hm. I guess it's related to the pitch bend range... I'd forgotten they were related - I was thinking PB was directly in cents...

mutools wrote:But what's the added value of that in today's context? Where do you need to know whether a pitchbend value is 9876 or 9877? I think that a percent value (as that's what it's intended to be, to be tuned) is more user friendly, i.e. Pitchbend value "75% Up" is more user friendly than value "14335". No?
It's simply respecting the resolution and (more importantly) LEGACY of MIDI. Any other DAW works like this pretty much, and it's weird for me to see it like this here (and I presume I'm not the only one). You could use percentage I presume, but that would also lose the 14-bit resolution of it, making it harder to recalculate what you want to select with logical selector, at least IMO.

@pljones - Pitch Bend messages are not declared in cents by MIDI standard. The range 0-16383 gets scaled internally on the synthesizer according to the global pitch bend range parameter, which is an RPN message in fact.

mutools wrote:
robenestobenz wrote:When project audio files aren't found, would it be possible to automatically check if an audio subfolder exists in the MuSession folder and search for the audio files if it does? I've just reorganised my music drive's folder structure, and even though I've moved both the Musession and ..\Audio folders, MuLab asks me to search for the files.
When the audio files were in the same folder as the musession or in a subfolder to the musession folder at the moment you saved the musession, then the audio files should be saved with a relative file path to that musession folder and so you should be able to move them together without prob.

Are you sure that was the case at the moment you saved the musession?
And with which MuLab version did you save that session? FYI: this relative file path management appeared in MuLab 3.2.3.
Yeah, sorry, the files were from a few different places, including my samples folder and I c/p'd them all into the ../audio folder before re-organising my music drive. I expected MuLab to naturally search in that folder before prompting me to select them. Probably just an edge case, no worries.

EvilDragon wrote:It's simply respecting the resolution
Of course i would not be limited it to 201 values (-100 .. 100), the percentage value can have decimal digits (eg "73.854% Up"), so no prob about resolution.
and (more importantly) LEGACY of MIDI. Any other DAW works like this pretty much, and it's weird for me to see it like this here (and I presume I'm not the only one).
Can you please provide a real practical argument? (sentence not meant in wrong way, just as an objective question)

Dunno, I'm just used to seeing pitch bend as either -8192~8191 or 0-16383. It's easier to work with what you're used to, instead of converting those values to % or whatnot.

It's like that on my hardware workstation and in the other DAW I'm using (Reaper). And other DAWs for that matter (Cubase, Logic, Sonar...).

If there could be a toggle switch (somewhere in preferences?) that would enable showing MIDI data across whole MuLAB as 7/14-bit numbers instead of floats, that would probably be useful. But I understand it's not the simplest thing to implement, for backwards compatibility and other reasons, I presume.

I've added a note on the wishlist about adding a preference about this.

(edit: crossed posts, we had the same idea, cheers!)

In Mulab 5, there is this new browser... It has a button for the VST Synths and another for the VST Effects. Maybe there must be a button for the VST midi Fx (arpeggiators and so on...) but perhaps it's not easy to detect these plugins ?

When I choose the "All files" button, the list is empty, why ?

And a bug : I have some VST plugins in the browser. I select one, right click and chosse "delete" : nothing happens. I right click again, choose "delete" : Mulab crashes !
Last edited by pquenin on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mutools wrote:I've added a note on the wishlist about adding a preference about this.

(edit: crossed posts, we had the same idea, cheers!)

Awesome, thanks! :)

By the way - it would be great if the browser being docked is a global preference (for all projects).

EvilDragon wrote:By the way - it would be great if the browser being docked is a global preference (for all projects).
+1

There is an updated MuLab 5.0.27 test version in http://www.mutools.com/mulab/everest

What's changed since M5.0.26:
  • M5 for OSX.
  • Drag-drop sequence parts on the browser when browser shows sequences => dropped sequence parts are saved as MuSequence presets (not as MuClips).
  • Finetuned the very default file selector location when saving a preset file.
  • Fixed a prob when reading MUX presets that were made with MUX Vst.
  • Fixed an issue in the module popup list: It was showing some redundant and double entries.
  • When loading a session or preset with a VST plugin that is not found, the "Locate" dialog kept on popping up even when selecting the proper VST plugin. Fixed.
  • Fixed an issue with the "Delete Unuseds" functions in the browser.
  • Fixed a bug in MuLab's ReWire engine.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause crashes in the logical selector and event list editor.
  • Fixed an issue in the logical selector where not all criteria fields were fully visible.
If you have already installed M5.0.26 then you can apply the exe update. Be sure to also update the ID file, otherwise MuLab will run in MuLab Free mode.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Cheers!

Return to “MUTOOLS”