MuLab 5.0.31 Test

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sl23 wrote:I've been updating my Mux presets and removing some Meta-Parameters. I save the presets, close MuLab, restart MuLab and the Front Panel knobs revert back to the Meta-Parameters instead of the direct assignments to the knobs.

For example: I have Osc 1 Pitch knob preassigned to a MP in M4 so I could rename the knob. As M5 can rename knobs I no longer need the MP so delete all association to it even the name. I then open the Mux Osc Module and drag the Transpose knob to the Front Panel and rename it. I do this for all knobs requiring this change just to clean it up a bit. After saving and restarting MuLab it somehow reverts back to the presaved state?! How? I've done this with two presets 3 times each so it can't be me, can it?

I've mostly been using the Save Preset button, but on one occasion used Save Preset As... still didn't work.
I can't repeat this.

As an example: I just tweaked the Basic Synth preset so that the Amp Attack direcly connects to the Amp ADSR Attack Time instead of via meta-parm 1.
Saved it, loaded it, works as intended. Note that as long as the meta-parm is still pointing to that module parm, it will move accordingly eventhough the front panel parm knob links to the module parm directly. But as you wrote you also deleted the meta-parm assignments, this should not be relevant for you, as then the meta-parm will not follow anymore of course.

So i don't know what this is about. Can you please give me a step by step using a new session and the basic synth amp attack parameter?
I've also noticed an increase in the need to R-click. When I want to R-click very often nothing happens making me need to repeat it.
I don't know what to say. Anyone else noticing something like this?
Also, when changing Mux Presets using the left and right arrows I keep getting the message 'Couldn't Load Preset File'
I can't repeat this using the first presets in the factory lib. Which presets?
The Mux Menu has an option to reorder the Meta-Parameters. But when I opened this window I found no way to close. Tried R-click title bar. All you can do is move to top left.
I see. A consequence of the increased number of meta-parms. Will tune this.

mutools wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:I have a suggestion for MuLAB's context menus. I feel the "+" button for submenus is slowing me down way too much, especially since it doesn't remember the state (if it was expanded or not).

Why not use simple submenus like it's been the norm in Windows for decades? This could be a preference...
It's on the wishlist for some future version.
You're awesome!

mutools wrote:No nothing changed there, as far as i remember. Does it look different from M4?
Dunno, just seemed a bit more tidily laid out -- could just be the projects I've started in M5 have had less routing levels or something.
mutools wrote:No it's the correct menu though it may contain some redundant items as these menus are generated in a generic way.

Note that that sequence part menu has 2 main groups: "Part" and "Sequence". For functions wrt the events look in the sequence group. Hope you see what i mean.
It still seems weird to me for most of the context menu options to have nothing to do with the thing the menu belongs to, but it's not a big deal -- I doubt many people use the context menus for deleting etc -- especially in the event list screen. I don't usually.
mutools wrote:
Power button, I dunno if it's something on my PC, but the plugin window processing on/off indicators appear don't appear to be working with external plugins. The indicator is always off, even while the module is playing, and it only momentarily flashes green when toggling it.
M5 has a "Smart Bypass" feature on VST plugins which means that if the VST plugin is not receiving any input nor generating any output the VST plugin is bypassed so it doesn't consume CPU. In that case the green power led will change to a darker green, indicating that the plug is still active but auto bypassed. This Smart Bypass feature can be controlled via the VST plugin's context menu -> Setup Smart Bypass. By default it's Off. Does this clarifies things?
Sorry, that's not it. The power indicator is grey even while the VSTi is playing a note (or the VST is processing sound). When I first load a VST the power indicator is already grey actually. I haven't touched the Smart Bypass settings.

Thanks for checking out those problems Jo.

After writing that report I started to reconstruct one of my presets starting from the basic synth. I copy/pasted modules from the old to new Mux and saved it but not the session. Now I can't load that preset. Would it help if I emailed the presets to you?

Re: Left + Right arrows. I was selecting the User Mux Library not the Factory one. So the presets are my own plus one other made by someone on the forum. Actually they are enhancements to presets Andreas started for me. He has checked them on this stage of completion and said they seem ok.

One thing though, I just remembered, being new to upgrading major versions, I didn't know about the menu option to update the Mux's. I loaded my two main presets and changed the front panel to smaller knobs and colours. Then found that option to upgrade presets. Which I then did. But all was ok. Even now they play ok as they're loaded into a session. But if I replace them I can't reload them due to M5 giving that message.

I'm going to try reinstalling MuLab. I only updated using the exe then later updated the ID file, could that have caused any issue?

Btw, I'm using the 32bit version. I have had about three crashes while editing these mux's though one of them wasn't used and still won't load. Could they have somehow been corrupted?

I don't know if it's only me, but I have noticed that the loading of a preset is longer than before when you navigate with the arrow buttons

Ok, further to my above message, I reinstalled the App Folder, exe and ID files. Still no luck.

I've also tried checking the same presets in M4 and there's no problem. I then copied those presets to M5 folder and still they won't load. It's gotta be something to do with M5?

I just thought, the crashes I mentioned were to do with certain VST's. I don't know if they're still in the list but unusable as I have several hundred I need to sort out what I want to keep. But could this be causing it? I'll try removing them all.

sl23 wrote:Thanks for checking out those problems Jo.

After writing that report I started to reconstruct one of my presets starting from the basic synth. I copy/pasted modules from the old to new Mux and saved it but not the session. Now I can't load that preset. Would it help if I emailed the presets to you?
Yes please.

pquenin wrote:I don't know if it's only me, but I have noticed that the loading of a preset is longer than before when you navigate with the arrow buttons
If the Num Audio Threads in the Audio Setup is set to Auto, then all available cores are used for audio processing and thus this might slow down the UI, which includes loading and saving of sessions, presets etc.

If you want you can set the Num Audio Threads to 1 less than the available cores, so keeping one free for the UI all the time.

Does that make a difference?

Ok I've sent an email with the presets attached as zips. Let me know if there's anything you need to know.

Thanks Jo

I removed the VST settings file to see if that would help but still the same.

mutools wrote:
pquenin wrote:I don't know if it's only me, but I have noticed that the loading of a preset is longer than before when you navigate with the arrow buttons
If the Num Audio Threads in the Audio Setup is set to Auto, then all available cores are used for audio processing and thus this might slow down the UI, which includes loading and saving of sessions, presets etc.

If you want you can set the Num Audio Threads to 1 less than the available cores, so keeping one free for the UI all the time.

Does that make a difference?
I have just tested this and yes, it makes a difference, thanks...

And I re-post this, because the bug is still in 5.0.27 :

In Mulab 5, there is this new browser... It has a button for the VST Synths and another for the VST Effects. Maybe there must be a button for the VST midi Fx (arpeggiators and so on...) but perhaps it's not easy to detect these plugins ?

When I choose the "All files" button, the list is empty, why ?

And a bug : I have some VST plugins in the browser. I select one, right click and chosse "delete" : nothing happens. I right click again, choose "delete" : Mulab crashes !

Possible bug... 5.0.27 64bit Windows (exe+ID update from .26).

I opened the "Pure" demo and, as previously reported, is triggers the Free constraint soft noise. I then started a new session (in "This" session - i.e. "Pure" shouldn't have been around any more) and started using the Browser auto-preview on the included 8 MuClips. The soft noise still got triggered, even though there was nothing at all actually in the session and all I was doing was using the preview! I'm not sure, but it seem to need changing from one clip to another to trigger it (although that may be more to do with my just switching back and forth before the noise triggers...).

In other news... I used the global Process On/Off switch, then left MuLab alone for a while. I noticed my PC running slowly then switched to MuLab to see if it was running OK. Seemed fine until I went to check on the number of cores in use with the aim of freeing one up. At the point of "This will stop the audio engine", it froze completely, soaking up 75% CPU (across four cores). I had to kill it. I'll try to reproduce the error tomorrow.

pquenin wrote:When I choose the "All files" button, the list is empty, why ?
It's showing the files on your system. When "Where" is not set, it hsould list the drives so you can start browsing. To be tuned. But you can already select a Where location, then it will show the files.
And a bug : I have some VST plugins in the browser. I select one, right click and chosse "delete" : nothing happens. I right click again, choose "delete" : Mulab crashes !
Thanks for reporting. Will be fixed.

pljones wrote:Possible bug... 5.0.27 64bit Windows (exe+ID update from .26).

I opened the "Pure" demo and, as previously reported, is triggers the Free constraint soft noise. I then started a new session (in "This" session - i.e. "Pure" shouldn't have been around any more) and started using the Browser auto-preview on the included 8 MuClips. The soft noise still got triggered, even though there was nothing at all actually in the session and all I was doing was using the preview! I'm not sure, but it seem to need changing from one clip to another to trigger it (although that may be more to do with my just switching back and forth before the noise triggers...).
It's not a bug. The activation / deactivation of the demo noise happens at a slow pace so when you have crossed the bounds of MuLab Free / XT but then return inside the bounds of MuLab Free / XT then it can take a couple of minutes before the noise disappears again. That's for reasons for making it more difficult to hack.

pljones wrote:In other news... I used the global Process On/Off switch, then left MuLab alone for a while. I noticed my PC running slowly then switched to MuLab to see if it was running OK. Seemed fine until I went to check on the number of cores in use with the aim of freeing one up. At the point of "This will stop the audio engine", it froze completely, soaking up 75% CPU (across four cores). I had to kill it. I'll try to reproduce the error tomorrow.
Found what you mean. Fixed in the next version. Thanks.

Return to “MUTOOLS”