MuLab 5.0.31 Test

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

M5 has never needed admin rights here. I have it installed under program files but my plugins are located on another hard drive.
:hug:

Indeed nothing changed wrt administration. If Windows is complaining, i guess there is some kind of UAC prob. Simplest solution is to not install it under Program Files afaik.

Im still trying to figure out the stutter, if it is there when only one core is used etc. Problem is that it takes about ten minutes for it to start so it goes slow.

pljones wrote:You need a new code for M5 - see earlier (in the) thread (mail Jo).
I missed that info, thanks! Will send Jo an e-mail. :)
pljones wrote: M5 doesn't need admin at all, as far as I'm aware. (Though I have it installed in a non-UAC folder.)
I needed to start M5 with admin rights the first time, so that I could choose my ASIO driver (with normal start the list with drivers was empty)

I'm on Windows 8 (64-bit), so unfortunately I can not completely disable UAC (like I could in Windows 7)

I do keep my programs in the Program Files folder, because I find that's where they belong and I don't want to have them in separate places.

Maybe be something for the FAQ/manual because there might be (new) users that encounter the same problem at first startup not knowing they probably need admin rights the first time only.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Already is in the manual at section 'installation'.

And ANY program that tries to change something on the C drive needs admin rights on win7 (prob same for win8). So let's say you want winamp to save a playlist in program files folder, or just to drop a file from your windows explorer on C, then you need admin rights, unless you are already logged in as an admin or already started the application with admin rights (like I do).

However, I assume you can also keep Mulab in the program files folder if you want and just save your stuff (sessions, presets, anything) somewhere else (not on C drive). Then you won't need admin rights. Only when you change something (add something) to the C drive. You can also turn UAC off, but I wouldn't recommend that if you're connected to internet.

The above is also the reason why you can't unzip something to your C drive without admin rights. So this is NOT Mulab's fault.

mutools wrote:
pquenin wrote:Hmm, if I understand well, you must buy a computer with at least 4 cores if you want some benefit from the MC support in M5.
There indeed is some practical truth in that. But note it's not MuLab specific, it's just technical logic.
So, do you think it's better to have a AMD A8 processor with 4 cores/4 threads instead of a Intel I5 with 2 cores/4 threads ?

I'm not an CPU expert. Please google for "cpu benchmarks". The performance of an audio app like MuLab is also dependent from other parts of the system.
What i can say is that hyper-threading is not interesting for MuLab.

megalodonnl wrote: However, I assume you can also keep Mulab in the program files folder if you want and just save your stuff (sessions, presets, anything) somewhere else (not on C drive).
That's exactly how I do it. Programs on C: everything else on my other harddrive D, which is synced to an external backup hardrive. :)

In Windows 7 I always had UAC completely disabled (still firewalls and AV's up of course, I generally now what I'm doing and clicking 1000 times to allow simple proceeding is really a pita) but in Windows 8 it's ufortunately only possible to set UAC on the lowest setting, not completely disabling it.

You can manually turn it off completely in the registry, but then the Live Tiles in the Metro interface stop working..

In the plugin window (where you add/delete and set groups), could you make it possible to sort the plugins on group? (currently the plugins are in alphabetical order)..

Ok, I haven't used MuLab in a while so please bear with me..

Isn't there a program preferences menu somewhere? If I remember correctly we had to edit a file in the program folder with M4, but that is not the most user-friendly way.. I would like to save some default locations for saving sessions, presets, temp files, etc. but I can't find it.

Wouldn't it make sense to have all program setup preferences in one window, instead of choosing separately Audio setup, Midi setup, shortcuts, Looks, etc. from the menu?

Something a bit more similar to this:

When autoplay is off, I would find it personally more intuitive that if I play a clip manually it will stop playing when I select another clip (for instance when going through them with my up/down arrow keys), not having to double click the playing clip again to stop it. Anyone agrees?

+1

+1 on the all in one settings
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Yeah, +1 for that too

So far I really like M5 :D It's still super fast, clever designed as always, lookin better then ever, still very accessible and very deep at the same time.

But I do still miss some small refinements here and there, like I said before some more user prference options would be nice. Not needing to manually edit a txt file in the program directory.

And for instance some options like:

- Set the default path for samples or tag different maps with samples as "favourites" so they will be two clicks away. Same for presets.

Or maybe it's in there and I missed it?

- set the option to always start with a new session, a particular template or the las openen preset (and bypass the welcome menu), so we don't have to choose and click everytime in the welcome screen menu to continue.

So many options in one Session Menu looks a bit cluttered to me personally. maybe some options could be grouped there, or perhaps there is another way to unclutter it a bit.

"Show Browser" and "Show Session MUX" Should be "Show/Hide Browser" and "Show/Hide Session MUX" I think, just like "Show/Hide Rack Desk".

A dedicated little button somewhere on the main GUI to open/hide the Session MUX would be way more convenient and intuitive imho. And what about an option to automatically open the Session MUX window everytime by default when starting/opening a session?

Would also be cool to hide the browser window with a click on a little sign on the browser GUI and unhide it the same way. Same with the Rack Desk.

Just some ideas to straighten out some rough edges.. Hopefully you don't mind the critique :)

Return to “MUTOOLS”