Starting with Mulab - old dude needs help

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,

after about 12 years of not producing any electronic music (I am 34 now) I got back into software synthesizers - a fantastic world I've been dreaming about 15 years ago. Back in the days I ran several hardware synths in my studio with Emagic Logic Audio.

To get back into music I need a DAW: intuitive and easy to use for my soft synths (I'm going to sell all my hardware) and if possible with concept for live musicians. I want to give Mulab a shot since Mulab fans are very passionate with their DAW and MUX is getting a pretty push from the NI Maschine community.

Right now I got NI Maschine, Komplete 8 and some other soft synths. Style is stuff like the crystal method - big beat, drum and bass? Dunno, hate stereotyped thinking.

Should I start with Mulab 4 or pre 5? I thought about starting with pre5 because I might give an inside view as a total rookie and report bugs then. I've been working at a software company (quality assurance) for several years.

So how do I start best? Read the manual? Just start from scratch until I get to a point where I need to consult the manual? Are there things to avoid e.g. learn wrong ways of Mulab usage?

Concerning Mulab's MuClips: is this going to work like Ableton Live's clips? Can MuClips be launched and stopped by hardware?

Well, I hope someone reads all that crap I wrote and even answers. :D

The big point for me starting with Mulab is Jo and the effort he takes by keeping in touch with his users. Big thumbs up for that.

I'm quite new to Mulab and have had little trouble picking it up so far. That's how easy to use it is. There's the odd thing you're not sure about and the quick answer is to check the online docs, if the answer isn't there or you can't find it then the forum is a great help as I'm sure you know.

I picked up Mulab without checking docs much at all. The Mux is a different story and by the sounds of it your more knowledgable than me so will probably know better how to make stuff with it. That said, anyone can make something if you're willing to try.

Mulab's definitely a great choice as a DAW it depends on you're way of working, if it does what you want then all's good. If not try requesting it, you never know...

dude youre ancient! 34!? thats like almost dead right? :D

mulab/mux is a synthesists dream come true imo but you need to like its way of doing things since its not always obvious. if i were you i would jump in and when you need infos visit the manual. mux is super flexible and getting better all the time.

ill take those hardware synths off your hands, where do you live and what have you got?

There is life after death. I'm 37.

Anyway, on the music side, for me works the method of "jump head first", as in, no reading manuals, get the software and start "doodling".
I would say, watch some videos on YouTube and get the latest version.
Why latest version? because the improved things are CPU usage and interface. The interface is more self explanatory.

There are some demo tracks that you might open and dissect.

There seem to be a life after the life after death... I am 43...

Back to topic:

1. I would definetely recommend to start with the newest version (5.0.28 ), because many things have changed and V5 is simply much more finetuned regarding the workflow...

2. I think MuLab is a very good choice for s.o. being familiar with the older Logic versions... the Session MUX is quite similar to the Logic enviroment and it's an easy to learn host for the first steps even if you can go far beyond this simplicity...

3. How to learn depends at first glance of which "learning typ" you are... if you are more or less an autodidact, I think you should first open up the program and start to play around...
After this first exploring session(s) you should take the time to go completely through the online manual (this doesnt take that much time)and if you like some videos...

4. About the MuClips and the Ableton comparison: Yes they work quite similar regarding Ableton Midi clips, they store the sequence data and the routing to an instrument but about launching them is not the same topic and a different story... MuClips are afaik only midi related, while Ableton clips can be (warped/timesynced) audio as well...
What makes Live able to launch clips by i.e. a hardware controller is not the technic behind the clips but the Session View of Ableton Live...
Even if the Session View uses clips, it's how the program works, that makes possible this kind of composition process... it's not the clips themselves

5. My highlights of MuLab: it's a program, that simply works... it's very easy to realize very cool stuff in it and the internal sound engine (all behind the "MUX") sounds absolutely fantastic, no matter, what knobs I turn, which sound I try to achieve, it just sounds right...
It is very light on CPU and RAM and loads up very very fast, which is a very important feature for s.o. like me... I hate waiting till the program is loaded/ready in my creativity workflow... and the price... :-), well this program is an absolutely bargain for what it offers...
About the developer: he is worth every single penny you pay, regarding support, ideas, updates and last but not least his very very kindness...

sorohanro wrote:There is life after death. I'm 37.
Back to kindergarten young whipper-snapper I'm 40 :P

sl23 wrote:
sorohanro wrote:There is life after death. I'm 37.
Back to kindergarten young whipper-snapper I'm 40 :P
youngster 8)

Damn!

All children!!!! I'll be 49 in May!!!!

Damn! Anyone familiar with BC?

A warning for the OP:
MuLab is quite addictive because of the "Deep" simplicity and the endless support from the members and the developer which has just come up with a method for not sleeping anymore :D
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Jo, if you read this: this thread just sold a Mulab crossgrade license to the MUX I ordered today. Gonna order as soon as I get home from work. :)

Thanks for your help, guys. :love: :love:

I'm 35, digital kid that grew up with trackers on MS-DOS :)
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

I started with an Amiga 500 and the *drumroll* Techno Sound Turbo. lol what a name.

2 cinch inputs. :D I swapped modfiles with a guy called Hardsequencer later called Hardy Hard who was very skilled with tracker progs. Great times.

TheKid wrote:I started with an Amiga 500 and the *drumroll* Techno Sound Turbo. lol what a name.

2 cinch inputs. :D I swapped modfiles with a guy called Hardsequencer later called Hardy Hard who was very skilled with tracker progs. Great times.
aha, excellent! i started with a cheetah specdrum interface on rubber keyed zx spectrum 48k,a fostex x15 multitracker,cheap strat copy and various f/x pedals!

TheKid wrote:I started with an Amiga 500 and the *drumroll* Techno Sound Turbo. lol what a name.

WOW! I always wanted one of those but couldn't afford it :-(

Return to “MUTOOLS”