MUX 5 Vst Test

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A MUX 5 Vst test package is available in http://www.mutools.com/mux/everest

MUX 5 Vst is the successor of MUX 1 Vst, but as MUX and MuLab are evolving in parralel, it's more comfortable to give them corresponding version numbers. So making the jump now.

That webfolder also contains a temporary test key so everyone can test this MUX 5 Vst package to full extent.

Highlights of this new MUX 5 Vst:
  • Extended MUX Power (More And Improved Modules)
  • Enhanced Support For Designing Your Own MUX Front Panels
  • Integrated Multi-Functional Browser
  • Extended Drag-Drop Support
  • Enhanced Modulation Envelopes
  • Restyled User Interface
  • Many Other Improvements
More details coming soon. (Tip: have a look at the MuLab 5 info page)

Works great so far! Both synth and effect have run flawless so far.

Tested in Studio One v2 free and FLS Demo
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

I'm very interested in Mux.
But estimated time to download is 4 hours? :shock:

Ok some bugs:

At some point I wasn't able to unlock the front panel design or right click at all

The module color does not carry to the front panel
My Setup.

Important to know for me would be:
Multi Channel modules and "mono connection cables".

With earlier versions of MUX, I only had stereo in/out per module, and I could only connect stereo cables. Even with multi-output modules, I could only use "stereo cables".

If this was changed, I might consider going for MUX rather than Metaplugin. Because with MUX I have containers, not with Metaplugin. But Metaplugin has "multi channel" inputs/outputs and mono connection cables. On top of a Mac port. But this is only secondary currently.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:Important to know for me would be:
Multi Channel modules and "mono connection cables".

With earlier versions of MUX, I only had stereo in/out per module, and I could only connect stereo cables. Even with multi-output modules, I could only use "stereo cables".

If this was changed, I might consider going for MUX rather than Metaplugin. Because with MUX I have containers, not with Metaplugin. But Metaplugin has "multi channel" inputs/outputs and mono connection cables. On top of a Mac port. But this is only secondary currently.
You have to use "stereo splitter" and "stereo combinor", which are located in the "Audio Processors" section to split the signal into mono...

I made a quick vid some time ago on this topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmO_PiLwDiY

dakkra wrote:Ok some bugs:

At some point I wasn't able to unlock the front panel design or right click at all
Is this repeatable?

Could it be you moved your mouse while right-clicking?

And in which host did you plugin MUX Vst?

Anyone else having such issue?
The module color does not carry to the front panel
Module colors are irrelevant for the front panel components. The components have their own color. See http://www.mutools.com/mulab/everest/docs/mux/mux.html

Trancit wrote:You have to use "stereo splitter" and "stereo combinor", which are located in the "Audio Processors" section to split the signal into mono...

I made a quick vid some time ago on this topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmO_PiLwDiY

Sorry, but after watching that video, I consider this as highly unintuitive. What about plugins that depend on stereo interaction, or if I want to send a specific channel to R, because R responds different than L (which seems to be adressed on default).

This unnecessarily clutters the grid and the routing matrixes. Pity, so far I always considered MUX great in terms of the custom containers, but even now it's still unintuitive regarding routing of VST plugins.

I still have to pass up on this one and bug DDMF to finally implement container features.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox i think there is a serious misunderstanding here. Note that you don't have to split stereo signals, it is optional in case you want to explicitly handle left and right signal seperately.

Please elaborate on what you exactly want to do.

Hi,

works good so far. WinXP 32bit, Reaper...

but there is a graphic problem with midishaper. In mux5 and also in version one i can't use the dropdown menues from midishaper. It is impossible to choose the values inside because the dropdowns seems to flicker...sorry i have no words for that effekt.

Example:

I have a delay device, that has two inputs (L/R) and two outputs (L/R) in Metaplugin. Okay so far.

Now I want to throw in a couple of distortion modules, maybe even additional modulation like Truc2 mini by dlM. So I route the L out of the delay to a couple of plugins and to the MetaPlugin VST output, but create a feedback chain from the FX modules back into the R of the delay. The same with the R out of the delay, but the L in of it.

Now... since MUX shows each plugin with "one" input and "one" output each, this turns out to be troublesome, since I can't click on a plugin (at least not with earlier version of MUX, didn't test v5 yet - no rig available currently) and say "split channels".

This is why I actually prefer eXT (if it wouldn't crash on me like no tomorrow) or even MetaPlugin - they automatically recognize what's going on. For example: I have a 6 channel channel-strip, load MetaPlugin or eXT and I get 6 ins and 6 outs on the in/out modules. I can then route these channels independent to a plugin that has 2 ins but 8 outs (like truc2mini), or for analysis (TB EBU Loudness) 6 ins and 6 outs, or comps with 4 ins (normal signal and sidechain) and 2 outs.

Granted, I have more cables to drag in this case, but I can do whatever the hell I want. I don't need cable splitters or combiners. I'm not limited to stereo in/out of plugins or hope that I have a "mono only" plugin to pull off what I want.

The only setback I have with eXT and Metaplugin (aside from stability issues, though they are cross platform) is the lack of containers to create custom control panels.

Now... I think I wrote that to you before with a mail...
If MUX would behave like Metaplugin in terms of plugin and cable management, and it would be cross platform, I'd gladly prefer MUX over eXT. But currently, Metaplugin is my favorite tool of choice if I need to create custom routings.

It was not repeatable but I'm going to try to see if i can do it again

EDIT: Forgot to mention I had this issue in FLS demo
My Setup.

Compyfox wrote:Example:

I have a delay device, that has two inputs (L/R) and two outputs (L/R) in Metaplugin. Okay so far.

Now I want to throw in a couple of distortion modules, ...
What you describe here, is to me a very rare and very advanced usage of such a plugin... and to be honest I don't know, how usefull this really is...
(no offense, just my impression)...

There might be advantages of other plugins in such special terms, but I doubt, that Jo is aiming at such a usage...
Anyway, a big part of what you described is possible with the stereo splitter too, which allows you to use left and right channels of the stereo signal seperately or mono sum (if both channels are connected to a module without the combinor before...)

Whats definetely not possible atm is the feedback into the other channel...

There are of course a few things, the MUX doesn't offer/support atm...gladfully are these for most users more the rare used options... on the other hand are there many many features and possibilities the others don't offer... nobody is perfect 8)

Compyfox wrote:Now... since MUX shows each plugin with "one" input and "one" output each
Not true. It depends on the VST plugin. There is a VST function where the plug tells the host how its inputs and outputs are organized. If a VST plugin has, for example, 2 output pins and it reports to the host (MUX in this case) that it's about a stereo signal, then the MUX will indeed show it as 1 stereo jack, as suggested by the plugin. In the other case the MUX will show 2 mono output jacks.

Now MUX still offers you a way to override that by using a Stereo Splitter or Stereo Combiner.

Does this clarifies things?

NB: I've updated this doc page: http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mux/us ... ugins.html

From that doc page:

If there are VST plug-ins for which you would want a more permanent reorganisation of its audio inputs and outputs, then you can use the ReGroupAudioInputs and ReGroupAudioOutputs preferences in the VstPlugins.xml file. More details on http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/common ... ences.html

Return to “MUTOOLS”