mulab instrumen: musynth and musampler

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i really like quite everything of this host. Even the embedded instruments are fine but imho they lack a bit on modulation and filter sounds a bit weak. sure i know i could improve them muxing but i think its a real shame, it is just my though ?

my opinion? its just you.

The thing is, why put more work to add more modulation and such when you can just add/build it in the MUX. All of the Devices have a port to the MUX.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Depends on what you compare it to. I haven't used the built in instruments in mux/mulab very much but the little i did (mainly trying out) i have to agree with you. But then again, the synths and filters i use are almost all circuit modeled and eat a lot of cpu.
I heard a comparison between Musynth and Sylenth1 and there wasn't much difference.
As for modulation, that is the fun part as it's so easy to modify and add your own stuff :D This is something my other synths can't brag about.
But that doesn't stop me from using modulations via mux to control parameters inside a vst should i want to. It's cool to add an lfo or envelope to a synth that doesn't have enough of them (charlatan for instance! instead of one lfo for all you can have one for each of the pulse width, filter and pitch).
:hug:

Although the current filter in MuLab is nice I would love more filter models to choose from at some point (303-like, Moog-like, Formant, Comb, etc.) :)

A filter is just a specialized equalizer. You can make ANY filter using the MUX. The prebuilt eq's come with frequency shift and I'm pretty sure you can make a high shelve band to use as a low pass.
My Setup.

dakkra wrote:A filter is just a specialized equalizer. You can make ANY filter using the MUX. The prebuilt eq's come with frequency shift and I'm pretty sure you can make a high shelve band to use as a low pass.
Is it? I didn't know such "low-level" building was possible within the MUX :shock: Impressive! But not an easy job, I assume.

Seems like nobody has managed to build them yet. I would prefer to just select them pre-built and make some music in the limited time I have, tbh :)

The main problem is that it can take a large amount of time to get what you want. Also to get that moog feel you were talking about, make a bass synth then add a little bit of resonance to it. It's not the same but it has a nice resemblance.
My Setup.

bohh, from what i know i can use mux modular features just within mux instruments .. or not ?

The MUX is both an instrument and an effect. You build nearly ANYTHING with it
My Setup.

i wish i could change the filter on musynth and musampla. if i build them from scratch the interface isnt so straight forward.

Nielzie wrote:Although the current filter in MuLab is nice I would love more filter models to choose from at some point (303-like, Moog-like, Formant, Comb, etc.) :)
I thought that myself, anything that adds character.

Thing is it all has the same 'sound'. You know like Hardware Synths, each has it's own particular sound. Even though with stuff like the Roland MC-909 you can sample a sound, that sound, when played back on the 909, is filled with the character of the 909. It's a pristine sound that doesn't 'do' dirty! It tries, but fails.

If you try to create a different sort of sound with samples as your 'base' waveforms, it sounds like a 909 synth patch, you know what I mean? You can't emulate another synth's architecture on it. I always wondered why when they make these things that they don't make expansion boards with a completely different sound? Then it would be like owning two or more synths in one.

Anyway, my point is that MuLab would do well to take this approach. Maybe even to coax some Reason users over? Filter adds character but creating different types with the same models still gives you what you started with. Just a variation. You can't make wine from milk, just cheese and butter. You need to use a completely different ingredient.

Therefore a completely different type of filter would add this new ingredient. It could be another way of doing what's already there, ie, the same types as Lo-Pass, Hi-Pass, etc, but they sound different.

No doubt someone will say that it's possible to create new filters from what's there, if they do, then they're missing my point completely.

Makes sense. Make a UNIQUE filter as compared to attempting to remake another one, correct?
My Setup.

Yes. I don't know what's possible and what's realistic for Jo, but maybe even a filter that has components in a somewhat 'deeper' kind of MuX. So we could literally create unique filters. Though the only worry with all that is it makes MuLab/Mux too technical which may put some people off.

So it would need to be done in a similar fashion as the MuX, but the Filter components are specific to the Filter and can't be used elsewhere.

Would that sort of thing be possible, work?

Keep Multi Mode Filter for basic use. Have a custom filter creator module maybe?
My Setup.

Return to “MUTOOLS”