Poor Mixdown Quality When using samples with a lot of bass?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So lately I've had a lot of trouble with the mixdown function on mulab. It seems whenever I make a song that uses imported files that have a lot off bass, the finished file always ends up sounding terrible. The bass gets really shakey and overpowers the song to the point that it's pretty much all you can hear. While in Mulab, the quality is fine. I can play the sample files together and they sound great in mulab, but once I go to export them, they sound terrible. Keep in mind this doesn't happen with internal synths, only bass heavy samples. Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone know how to fix it?

I've had similar problems with Studio One. It turned out it my levels were wat to high on individual tracks. It sounded good in S1 with a limiter on the master track, but mix downs were terrible. I adjusted individual levels where the limiter barely kicked in and t sounded ok.

Is *all* your audio going via a MASTER rack i.e. when muting that Master rack then is all audio muted? If yes, then isn't the Master rack showing a red clip led when playing back that composition? If yes then your levels are too high and that's why it sounds distorted when mixed down. So why doesn't it sound distorted thru your speakers? Maybe (just a wild guess) your soundcard is not at highest volume and the soundcard driver lowers the incoming (overdriven) audio with the consequence it's not overdriven anymore. That could be possible when the soundcard uses float audio data.

As an extra doublecheck i mixed down one of the demo songs on OSX in a 32 bit Aiff i.e. same type as you emailed me. It sounds fine here. But then you also confirm it's not when using internals only. So is it because of a specific VST? or a specific audio file? That are open questions.

So please make a simple musession (as simple as possible with as few VSTs and audio files as possible) that demonstrates the problem and share a link to it so that i can try to repeat the prob. As long as i can't repeat the prob i can't research it.

Return to “MUTOOLS”