send and return - quick question

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

how do i send to a specific point in another channel mixer strip? i am under the impression that any send always enters at the top of the channel.

am i just making something complicated instead of sending both to a third strip
is there any difference?
wee have also sound-houses

For any "complex" routing, you're better off setting things up in a MuX, it's just easier to see what's going on.

The Rack module is pretty fixed about its routing: in at the top, through each rack entry and out at the bottom. The Send rack entry only allows Racks as targets -- I guess a feature request could be to allow any module as target.

Racks are only a 'quick and easy' way to play with plugin modules. Indeed use a MUX for more complex routings, that's the solution!

More concrete: You can build a MUX that simulates a rack and add a audio input in that MUX that is routed to the specific 'slot' (i.e. module) you want. Then depending on what you want to do: In the parent MUX of that MUX (that parent MUX may be the session MUX) add a Patch Point module that you route to that 2nd audio input. Now you can route anything to that patch point and so the audio will travel to that specific module. Using MUX(es) you are in full control of all possible options!

mutools wrote: More concrete: You can build a MUX that simulates a rack and add a audio input in that MUX that is routed to the specific 'slot' (i.e. module) you want. Then depending on what you want to do: In the parent MUX of that MUX (that parent MUX may be the session MUX) add a Patch Point module that you route to that 2nd audio input. Now you can route anything to that patch point and so the audio will travel to that specific module. Using MUX(es) you are in full control of all possible options!
Well sounds good , but now how to perform this in practice ?
For a long time i do have the feeling that there is not enough practical information about the MUX enviroment with all these constructing elements.

Is like the developer only knows how this all exactly works in a songconstruction ?
In the past i tried to clarify this by starting than with the basic setups in the MUX
Than Jo ask me what are basic setups in MUX ?
Using a multitimbral Vsti in Mulab..or rebuild a rack in the MUX enviroment.

The biggest part of using the MUX is using your head. Because the MUX is modular you can connect things in different ways for different purposes. Just think through how to do what you need it to do, and then try and see how it works.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

All the MuX modules are documented, so there's nothing stopping anyone finding out about them (if they read).

With the documentation and MuX, you have complete power - nothing else is needed.

If you do not know what the tools are for, then knowing how to apply them will, indeed, be difficult, as with any tool set. So if that is the problem, it is not related to MuX or the MuX documentation.

If you do know, it can still be a bit daunting sitting with that blank canvas. Sometimes starting out with pen/pencil and paper and just trying to draw things out before you start wiring them up (even if virtually) can help.

pljones wrote: If you do not know what the tools are for, then knowing how to apply them will, indeed, be difficult, as with any tool set. So if that is the problem, it is not related to MuX or the MuX documentation.
Yes i don't know where all tools are for ..
pljones wrote:
If you do know, it can still be a bit daunting sitting with that blank canvas. Sometimes starting out with pen/pencil and paper and just trying to draw things out before you start wiring them up (even if virtually) can help.
Ideal are a serie of video's where all tools can be followed in a application to get a idea what's possible with this toolset

dakkra wrote:The biggest part of using the MUX is using your head.
Hmm.. i do not agree with this partly, because i am not a fan of trial and error learning strategy
Last edited by janamdo on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

janamdo wrote:Ideal are a serie of video's where all tools can be followed in a application to get a idea what's possible with this toolset
Maybe you could start one to practice using the tools?

pljones wrote:Maybe you could start one to practice using the tools?
Interesting idea, but i don't know too what i need also for making a decent video

janamdo wrote:
mutools wrote: More concrete: You can build a MUX that simulates a rack and add a audio input in that MUX that is routed to the specific 'slot' (i.e. module) you want. Then depending on what you want to do: In the parent MUX of that MUX (that parent MUX may be the session MUX) add a Patch Point module that you route to that 2nd audio input. Now you can route anything to that patch point and so the audio will travel to that specific module. Using MUX(es) you are in full control of all possible options!
Well sounds good , but now how to perform this in practice?
Sounds pretty concrete to me.

janamdo, you got to put some energy into this yourself too. For example: Study all the basics of audio and synthesis. If you know all that, you'll see that the MUX is natural and logical, nothing complicated. So google (or whatever search engine) for the info you need. It's not MUX specific so it's even a good investment for whatever audio app you (gonna) use.

Also this: If you want examples of how things are done: Explore the hundreds of included MUX presets and open the deep editor and see how things are done.

Last but not least: MuLab and the MUX are 'open' tools, there is no limited set of what you can do with it. Creativity without limits :) On top of studying all the available info (MUX presets, docs, videos, common info on the web, this forum, ...), trial and error sometimes also is a good way of exploring things. It's using that way that many brilliant tracks were made. (and will be made).

janamdo wrote:Interesting idea, but i don't know too what i need also for making a decent video
MuLab has a video recorder built in for making videos of the use of MuLab features. (Other DAWs may not be so helpful, I don't know.)

mutools wrote: Last but not least: MuLab and the MUX are 'open' tools, there is no limited set of what you can do with it. Creativity without limits :)
For my feeling i did not have much seen of this creativity

janamdo wrote:For my feeling i did not have much seen of this creativity
If you wander around with your eyes closed, you'll see very little. Many of the patches in the factory library are user-contributed.

pljones wrote:
janamdo wrote:For my feeling i did not have much seen of this creativity
If you wander around with your eyes closed, you'll see very little. Many of the patches in the factory library are user-contributed.
Ok if there a lot of MUX tools are involved in the patch construction i will look closer there

Well the audio path in MUX is not difficult to follow in the centre :
osc-> amplifier-->filter

That example of rebuilding a rack in the MUX enviroment..

Return to “MUTOOLS”