Mixdown / Create New Part: No Rack?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was rather surprised when I used Mixdown Audio to finalize a part that the new part created was routed directly to the ASIO Out, rather than to new rack created for it. I found myself sitting there wondering how I was even hearing it until I finally looked carefully at the track name and the light dawned. It would seem more logical to me that if you mixdown audio and select the create new part option that you'd get both a new track and a corresponding mixer channel. At the moment I guess this is a question, but it might become an FR.

DaveL
You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge.
-- Rush Show Don't Tell

I think the idea is that once you've frozen a track, you don't want the features of a rack interfering with what it sounded like.

But I think I'd agree with you. I'd would most likely be freezing a few tracks down but still working on the same part of the composition, so want to be able to adjust the level of the mixed down track(s) within the overall mix. Even if I'm working sequentially through a composition, I might still want to adjust the relative levels of each mixed down section, so giving each their own mixer seems to be pretty useful to me.

Though i understand your FR,i'm not sure if it will always be good to auto add a new rack in that case.

Note that you can still adjust the level and pan of each audio part (select it, then bottom-left of composer). And if you want a new rack for that track, just click the [+] Rack button and drag-drop its name onto the audio track.

I'll also give your FR an extra thought.

mutools wrote:Though i understand your FR,i'm not sure if it will always be good to auto add a new rack in that case.
I'm not sure either, which is why I was mostly asking a question regarding the rationale. I think pljones answer makes sense.
Note that you can still adjust the level and pan of each audio part (select it, then bottom-left of composer). And if you want a new rack for that track, just click the [+] Rack button and drag-drop its name onto the audio track.
Didn't realize either of those, I'll have to give that a look. The drag-drop to create routing sounds like a great solution. I achieved the same by setting the track's target to a new rack but the process you describe sounds more convenient.

Thanks for the info.

DaveL
You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge.
-- Rush Show Don't Tell

Actually, pan-and-level with routing out to Master (i.e. it's going to get into the overall level readout I see) would do me fine, so the only change I'd make is to where the mixed down part's output routes (and I can set this, right?).

Return to “MUTOOLS”