MuLab & MUX: What's Next

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MuLab & MUX Vst 5.3 will be released soon now. I've reread this topic and i'm happy to see that at least some of the requests have been filled. Atoh many requests not yet. But i think M5.3 is worth a release so all users can use all the new extensions and improvements. So this post just to thank you all again for your interesting posts and to say i've updated the wishlist and will take things into account when designing the next MuLab & MUX Vst. That new design process will start soon. Cheers!

mutools wrote:MuLab & MUX Vst 5.3 will be released soon now. I've reread this topic and i'm happy to see that at least some of the requests have been filled. Atoh many requests not yet. But i think M5.3 is worth a release so all users can use all the new extensions and improvements. So this post just to thank you all again for your interesting posts and to say i've updated the wishlist and will take things into account when designing the next MuLab & MUX Vst. That new design process will start soon. Cheers!
Can't wait! Thanks for letting us get some feedback and wishes into Mulab/MUX! So many great features have been added in the past years it's crazy! I've been using Mulab for 1.5 years now and have yet to be disappointed by it.

Thanks for making such amazing software Jo! I look forward to what's next! :clap: :tu:
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Just downloaded the update. Addressed one of my key issues, and added some nice new features. MUX is brilliant and deserves a lot more love.

One thing that I would love to see improved in MUX (particularly within Cubase) is the window resizing. When the window size changes, the interface is cropped at its old size. You must then close and re-open the MUX GUI to see the new window size.

I know that resizing the window dynamically is possibly. Check out DMG Audio EQuilibrium (change the GUI size) or u-he's plugins. The interface resizes dynamically as soon as you change the dimensions.

Also, the newly introduced ability to disable prompts when deleting devices (thanks for this!) only works when you are deleting one device. When deleting multiple devices, you're still prompted. Can this please be repaired?

Finally, I've had some random crashes with the latest MUX. Unfortunately I can't really seem to figure out what triggered the crash, but it brought down all of Cubase.

soundpalace wrote:One thing that I would love to see improved in MUX (particularly within Cubase) is the window resizing. When the window size changes, the interface is cropped at its old size. You must then close and re-open the MUX GUI to see the new window size.
I'm quite sure it's a Cubase issue as it only happens in Cubase. Some other vst plugins suffer from it too. I already contacted Steinberg about this earlier but they don't reply. It's only in Cubase.
Also, the newly introduced ability to disable prompts when deleting devices (thanks for this!) only works when you are deleting one device. When deleting multiple devices, you're still prompted. Can this please be repaired?
Taken note.
Finally, I've had some random crashes with the latest MUX. Unfortunately I can't really seem to figure out what triggered the crash, but it brought down all of Cubase.
I don't think it's related to the last version. Based on previous research i can't find anything wrong in MUX Vst, test results pointed being it a Cubase issue too. I also did not get any such reports from other host users. I'm open to cooperate with Steinberg to narrow this down so the problem can be fixed, on whatever side the problem would be, but up to now i'm afraid i must conclude Cubase and Wavelab are the least stable hosts of all major ones i tested.

Anyway, if you would have any additional bits on info about this, eg if you can find a repeatable pattern for the crash, pls let me know, i'll check things as far as i can i.e. until the plug<->host code barrier.
Last edited by mutools on Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don't remember if I have said it before, but a free-running metronome would be nice.
I suppose I am not the only one starting a new song by playing around with a piano patch or something like that. Currently I have to play or record in order to hear the metronome. If I could hear it without doing either, I could easily adjust the metronome speed to match my lick, then, after practicing the lick a zillion times, I would finally record it, using the perfect bpm already.

By the way, when will you release version 6.x? Just wondering because you also have bills to pay, I suppose :) Was already thinking of donating some money :hihi:

The only thing that consistently bothers me for some time is the mouse/kybd. scrolling not working in plugins for presets... I've asked a number of developers about it, but no resolution so far. Minor maybe but I'm a die hard preset user so I'm usually scrolling through 1,000s of presets all the time and it sure makes a difference... I'm assuming this works in the PC version? Some do work, which makes it more frustrating.

:?

I don't even know what you mean. In the Mulab VST container window? Scrolling doesn't seem to work in the PC version, either.
I don't mind that, but regarding presets I wish the names of the user patches were displayed in Mulab racks. That only seems to work for factory presets. Maybe the fault lies with the VST's...

Still waiting for a Mac version of Mux

Thanks for your reply! :)
mutools wrote:
soundpalace wrote:One thing that I would love to see improved in MUX (particularly within Cubase) is the window resizing. When the window size changes, the interface is cropped at its old size. You must then close and re-open the MUX GUI to see the new window size.
I'm quite sure it's a Cubase issue as it only happens in Cubase. Some other vst plugins suffer from it too. I already contacted Steinberg about this earlier but they don't reply. It's only in Cubase.
Both Dave (DMG Audio) and Urs (u-he) have successfully implementing a dynamically resizing UI in Cubase. They are both really great guys, why not reach out to them to find out how they did it?

You can try it out in DMG Equilibrium or any u-he plugin. Simply choose a different interface size and the entire window perfectly resizes without the need to close and open the editor.
mutools wrote:
soundpalace wrote:Finally, I've had some random crashes with the latest MUX. Unfortunately I can't really seem to figure out what triggered the crash, but it brought down all of Cubase.
I don't think it's related to the last version. Based on previous research i can't find anything wrong in MUX Vst, test results pointed being it a Cubase issue too. I also did not get any such reports from other host users. I'm open to cooperate with Steinberg to narrow this down so the problem can be fixed, on whatever side the problem would be, but up to now i'm afraid i must conclude Cubase and Wavelab are the least stable hosts of all major ones i tested.
For what it's worth, with all of my other plugins, I never ever have crashes with Cubase. Any crashes that I have had in the past have been traced back to plugin issues which were fixed by the developers. e.g. Spire and EQuilibrium would crash in certain circumstances, and both companies managed to repair both crashes. Often, they are legitimate problems in the code that Cubase is just a little less tolerant of.
mutools wrote:Anyway, if you would have any additional bits on info about this, eg if you can find a repeatable pattern for the crash, pls let me know, i'll check things as far as i can i.e. until the plug<->host code barrier.
No worries at all, that's exactly what I'm hoping to do mate. I discovered this page you have put up (http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mux/tr ... oting.html) regarding these issues. Your crash description is correct based on my last crash, MUX crashed when I was inserting the plugin, though I have been struggling to reproduce it again since.

I will admit that I'm bummed I didn't notice the crash issue during my demo period as I would probably have reconsidered purchasing the plugin. But I'm hopefuly that I will be able to find a reproducible pattern that will lead to a fix.

I've dropped you an email with some more info. I hope we can work together to sort this bug out :)

fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't even know what you mean. In the Mulab VST container window? Scrolling doesn't seem to work in the PC version, either.
I don't mind that, but regarding presets I wish the names of the user patches were displayed in Mulab racks. That only seems to work for factory presets. Maybe the fault lies with the VST's...
Scrolling with the up and down arrow key or the mousewheel in the VST preset window. Works in Logic and Live for all of my instruments. Only a couple work with MuLab? If you have 1,500 presets that a LOT of mouse clicking. :roll:

Thanks for Mulab! It is the excellent and necessary project.
My wishes on a priority:
1 . FM or PM synthesis. Possibility of modulation of one oscillator another on the frequency or a phase
2 . BPM envelope - change of speed of playing of a song
3 . Granular oscillator

I just thought of a usability tweak. When looking for a module to plug in somewhere, being able to type part of the name in and see the list of partial matches would be very useful. Sometimes I remember the name better than where it's filed (and sometimes it's the other way around...).

I join.
Similar is in Jeskola Buzz.
It very conveniently and saves time.
Each time to come into the menu behind the new module is a waste of time.

Return to “MUTOOLS”