No sound when clicking note in piano roll

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey folks, WHen in piano roll I click on any note and there is no sound. But there is sound when clicking on any note of the virtual keyboard. This makes it hard to edit. Any advice? Thanks much!

FYI: The keyboard on the top always plays the focused plugin, while the keyboard in the piano roll plays the plugin that is assigned to that track part. Most of the time that should be the same because MuLab automatically focuses the plugin that you're working with. (by default; it's a preference)

So why no sound in the piano roll? Well hard to say without seeing your composition. Are you sure the sequence part is assigned to a plugin? And are you sure that the audio output of that plugin streams to the main output? Do you see any rack level meters move up & down when you click the piano roll keyboard?

If you're not sure how MuLab works, then open one of the demo sessions and check them out, play a bit with them so you see how it works.

Cheers!

Thanks much for your response. I tried to use some tutorials on youtube but they wouldn't load, so I'll try later. I need various learning so I hope I can find it all in one place! :neutral:

The demo sessions are included in the package.
On startup -> Demos.
Or if already launched -> SESSION menu -> Open Demo.

Followup
I figured out how to get the pencil tool to appear--and the notes on cliking had sound. Good news. However--and I say this really thinking this prog is very good--the pencil is way too eager to jump into the eraser tool. The prog needs some real tool selections--unless there is a way to get the pencil, et al, to stay put "until further notice". Maybe I missed something, but the margin for error using the pencil is too small--it's too sensitive to the few pixels of space it remains as a pencil.... Thanks much!

johnny.w wrote:However the pencil is way too eager to jump into the eraser tool.
I don't understand. The eraser tool only comes when you hold the Ctrl key, so i can't see that it comes too quickly as it's based on your decission.
The prog needs some real tool selections--unless there is a way to get the pencil, et al, to stay put "until further notice".
I disagree, that's the old fashoned way of doing it and takes a lot of mouse clicking cause you have to switch tools all the time. So MuLab uses a faster method.
it's too sensitive to the few pixels of space it remains as a pencil
If you have very small notes, then indeed the zones for pencil may be small, but that's logical as you have small notes. Solution: Zoom in a bit so the notes have a bit of width.

Does that work ok for you?

Hey,
Thanks much for your response. I may have something wrong here. I have only succeeded in getting the pencil to appear by holding control and moving the cursor near the edge of the note. The eraser appears when the cursor area goes into the note's area. At the very edge the pencil appears but the margin for error is very small--the error is that I erase a note when I only want to click on it with the pencil to hear it, and maybe edit it. When I let up on CTRL the cursor returns to the left/right arrows and select arrow. Is there a way to keep the pencil ON "until further notice"-? THe notes are not small, bTW. Thanks again!

Johnny, 2 questions:

1) What MuLab version are you using?
See MULAB menu -> Info -> About MuLab.

2) What do you exactly want to do with the pencil?

Tip: If you want to monitor a note, then Alt+click on it. (it will be the glass cursor)

Hi,
I want to edit the notes-- click on a note, hear it, then drag it, all with one tool. The flashing back and forth between the easer and pencil tools--depending on where you hover the cursor, makes that hard. I don't want the pencil to disappear, until I'm done editing a clip. I am using the latest download of Mu Free. Thanks much for responses!

johnny.w wrote:click on a note, hear it
Alt+click on a note
then drag it
Just drag it arround with the arrow.
all with one tool
Exactly, that's how it works.
The flashing back and forth between the easer and pencil tools--depending on where you hover the cursor, makes that hard.
No, the eraser only comes when you hold Ctrl, so that's your choice.
I don't want the pencil to disappear, until I'm done editing a clip.
With "clip" you mean a note i assume, right?
Well the pencil is not used at all to edit notes, the pencil is only used to draw new notes.

See this doc page: http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mulab/ ... ditor.html

And this doc picture:

Hope this helps.

Yes! THis solves the audition problem, hearing a note without any editing. FYI, I used the word "clip" to indicate a MIDI sequence which is usually looped but not necessarily--no one edits a note, they edit a note within a sequence/context, so I needed the freedom to move the cursor around at will, hearing/editing any note at will--and this method works fine. Looking forward to more experiments with this very cool sounding prog! Thanks much!

Return to “MUTOOLS”