Loading multiple instruments VST once for all racks

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I have MuLab 5.1.5 UL.

I have an orchestral VST that have many slots to load instruments.
How, with MuLab, can i load that very VST ONLY ONCE for all racks,
then associate each instrument of that VST to each rack, so the
CPU limit won't be exceeded?

Thanks

Do you mean you want to use that VST multi-timbrally i.e. different instruments on different MIDI channels?

Sounds like he means use one VST instance for all racks. Can't this be done via the MuX? ie have one rack as an aux and send output of other racks to it? Not sure if that's right?

I'm not sure if i understand what you mean.
If that VSTi has multiple outs then you can route these multi outs to different racks yes.
But you can't create different racks for the different multi-timbral parts inside that VSTi as a VSTi is a black box to a host DAW and no host DAW can break that black box open.

Sounds as if he's using a VST like Edirol. Ediral has built in racks that respond to multi-timbral midi. I think he's after how to route the different midi channels to it. This is just my guess though.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

MuLab Racks can have their Event output routed to other racks. So you can stick the VSTi in one rack that has no tracks routed to it, have several tracks going to a rack each, with that rack routing its events to the rack with the VSTi in it. Of course, there is no benefit to this over routing all the tracks to the rack containing the VSTi unless MIDI FX VSTs are going to be inserted before the VSTi with different set ups per track.

The point being that you can route many tracks to one rack (right-click the track header, Choose Target Module). A multitimbral VSTi should use MIDI Channel to select its internal targets. MuLab lets you set the track channel as you wish (right-click the track header, Choose MIDI Channel), so that the VSTi plays what you want.

pljones wrote:The point being that you can route many tracks to one rack (right-click the track header, Choose Target Module).
An easier way to set the track's target module is drag-drop the module onto the track header. More concrete for racks: Drag-drop the rack name (at the top of the rack) onto the track header.

So to target multiple tracks to the same rack, drop the rack onto each track? OK.

Yes. That's a easier and faster than selecting a target module via a popup list. Don't you think so?

The idea is to have a host vst containing multiple other vst's. Then use MIDI, presumably, to control the multiple vst's then route each to a rack, i think that's it. But why he doesn't just use a MuX i don't know!

mutools wrote:Yes. That's a easier and faster than selecting a target module via a popup list. Don't you think so?
Yes, I'm just not much of a D'n'D user so didn't think of it. I right-click-open-in for running documents in a particular program from Windows Explorer, for example, rather than dropping the document onto its icon. But it makes sense - you're "wiring" the rack to the track with that drag action.

Ok, thank you all.
I've succeeded to do what i wanted, with midi channels, it still works a bit slowly at time - i believe i'll always get that fifteen seconds freeze after playing with a high number of instruments.

This was, i guess, a basic question, but i haven't been using MuLab for a long time, i'll explore the Mux as well soon probably.

And, no i don't use Edirol, but Miroslav Philharmonik; which is good, but i'll certainly look for a better strings library very soon.

Thanks

Return to “MUTOOLS”