Catanya in MULab?

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I'm just starting starting with MULab, and am pleased to say that I have been able to figure out a lot in 60 minutes, and it's been very stable and general welcoming. One thing I'm wondering, though, is whether anyone can advise how to use Catanya in MULab. Coming from Acid Pro, there, you have Midi Track A with, say, some chords, which you assign to Catanya; then create Midi Track B; then set Track B's input to be the output of Midi Track A; and finally, set Track B's output to be whatever VSTi you want. If you arm Track B for recording, it will print Catanaya's output as midi -- a super-powerful thing. Can anyone advise whether / how one can do this in MULab?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

Plug in Catanya in Rack 1, slot 1, and a synth in slot 2 of that same rack, then play some chords to rack 1, that's it, as simple as that.

mutools wrote:Plug in Catanya in Rack 1, slot 1, and a synth in slot 2 of that same rack, then play some chords to rack 1, that's it, as simple as that.
Now let's imagine we have not Catanya (which plays only one track) but a composition editor which plays two (or more) tracks with different Midi channels affected (one for each), one track for a first VSTI instrument (a melody, to be played by Zebralette for example), and one other track for a second VSTI instrument (an accompaniment, to be played by Cheese Machine for example). We can of course imagine more, but here, it is the minimum: two.

It is obvious, I think, that in Mulab we can't place the two instruments (since they play the same score but not the same part) in the same rack otherwise they would play the same thing though they are affected to a different role in the score.

So, what is the method in such a situation?... we'd be happy to have a simple and useful explanation for Mulab of an equivalent to this below which is a demo with RapidComposer as composition editor, with a synth as melody (here it is OBXD) and a second synth as accompaniment (here it is Night Flight), all that played in Reaper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7yPFrLtlmI

What is the equivalent method in Mulab (of course assuming that for a reason or another, we absolutely want (or are constraint) to use the external composition editor being itself a VSTI as is Catanya)?

I haven't found anything exposed in a simple way for this in the doc of Mulab, that's why I take the most of the opportunity to ask directly the question here.

I made this video above 2 hours ago to demonstrate the solution in Reaper, but you (and many Mulab interested people) would be glad if I could also make the same demonstration in Mulab. And with your answer... I'll do it!

Thank you by advance !
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

If that composer plugin sends its MIDI data on different MIDI channels then you could still use a single rack: Plugin a MUX in slot 2 (i.e. after the composer plugin in slot 1) and hook up a MIDI Channel Splitter into that MUX and connect the MIDI outputs of that splitter to the various synths you want to use. You can even do a full submix in that MUX. Hope this helps. If all works fine then yes creating such video would be much appreciated!

Thanks! I'm gonna try during the week. If it works as you suggested, I'll be back directly with a video (that I'll post also in a specified topic if you validate it). If not, I'll explain you where I'm stuck to continue to find together the solution. Such a video with Mulab will be obviously very useful.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

YEAH !!! I've got it !

Here is a picture showing the patch:

I'm gonna make a video.

But what should be even better would be a solution without Mux since Mux is only an option for the purchasers of Mulab.

BlackWinny wrote:YEAH !!! I've got it !
:)
I'm gonna make a video.
:tu:
But what should be even better would be a solution without Mux since Mux is only an option for the purchasers of Mulab.
Not true. The MUX (=modular synth and effect engine) is the sonic heart of MuLab and is in all versions of MuLab. The MUX is also available as a VST plugin on Windows, and soon (no ETA yet) also on the Mac.

Hum... but when I purchased Mulab in June last year I purchased this bundle "MuLab 5 UL + MUX 5 Vst User Keys Bundle (€ 99)". Maybe I did a mistake since english is not my native language.

Or perhaps the Mux which is in this bundle is a special edition of Mux to be used externally with other environments than Mulab? Is it that?

Ok. I'm gonna make the video.

Done!

Mutools (hum... I don't know how to name you other than "Mutools") could you glance at it and tell me if you validate the method?
If you give me the go-ahead I'll open a specific thread (that you can eventually convert as a post-it if you want).

The sound of the video is very bad at the end simply because I'm actually trying to find a good video capture tool which manages correctly the sound of the soundcard instead of using the microphone but haven't found yet (if you have suggestion... tell me), but you'll see at the end of the video the vu-meters which show that all works correctly.

Here it is (there a HD version available if you click the cogwheel under the video in the page Youtube):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5quFoYYbkQ

* I don't know why you create/connect the 2 event outputs as most synths don't output events.
* The 2 steps you do with "Map MIDI Controller" are unnecessary.
* Of course if would be better if the audio output of MuLab is included.
* I would eliminate the sound of the mouseclicks, or at least less prominent, but that may be personally.

* I don't know why you create/connect the 2 event outputs as most synths don't output events.
Oh simply to show that something else can follow if wanted.
* The 2 steps you do with "Map MIDI Controller" are unnecessary.
Yes. I have seen that just after having done the video.
:D
* I would eliminate the sound of the mouseclicks, or at least less prominent, but that may be personally.
Good point also.

I'm gonna make a new one without the two last points. But I think that I'm gonna keep the first, just to show that it can simply be followed by other plug-ins (internal as external of course).

:tu:

BlackWinny wrote:I'm gonna make a new one without the two last points. But I think that I'm gonna keep the first, just to show that it can simply be followed by other plug-ins (internal as external of course).
Then i would simply connect the 2 synths to the existing event output. That keeps the video simpler while you still can make your point ;)

that was helpful !

Return to “MUTOOLS”