Audio engine not running

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I am using MuLab in a school at the moment, it has been working fine for a while but suddenly it is refusing to play anything. The error box is "Audio engine not running. Go to Audio Setup?" Then I click yes but I get "Can't save session. Audoi setup cancelled". This is on a session that HAS saved so I am not sure why I get the second error message. The school ICT technician has looked at this but cannot find any reason for these errors.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

We are having exact same issue. In our case it doesn't happen to all students, maybe 1/3 of the class. Identical PCs, same type of user accounts with same permissions, so very odd that some work and others don't. (win 7, Mulab 5.4.1). I'm going to try v5.5.1 to see if that helps.

We are exactly the same - though we are more than a half of students! We are on 5.4.1. too, let me know if 5.5.1. works!

The "can't save session" sounds like the disk on which MuLab is installed is refusing writes for some reason -- possible not enough space or, if it's a network drive, some network error. But I guess the ICT guy has checked the Windows logs on the affected PCs for any visible problems. Jo may be able to direct whether logging in MuLab might help (I don't know).

samulon37 wrote:Hi all,

I am using MuLab in a school at the moment, it has been working fine for a while but suddenly it is refusing to play anything. The error box is "Audio engine not running. Go to Audio Setup?" Then I click yes but I get "Can't save session. Audoi setup cancelled". This is on a session that HAS saved so I am not sure why I get the second error message.
I don't know why the audio engine suddenly stops working. I'm 99% sure it must be something on your system because MuLab's audio engine is working very well for a long time on thousands of computers, currently no indication at all that there would be a bug in the engine itself.

About the save error: When editing the audio setup, MuLab first auto saves the session to a temporary file because all plugins will be reset after the audio setup has been edited. The temporary file is stored in the MuLab folder. Maybe you have installed MuLab in a write-protected folder?

Just a thought:
Could it be possible that you load so many samples that you are running out of memory?

Or the audio of the computer suddenly taken by another application ?
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Yes i would also suspect something like that.

Thanks for the info on where the files get saved to. We set that folder as write-enabled and it is now working fine. Being a school means we default to having everything locked down and only open up access when needed and this is one of those cases. Students really happy with the software now.
Many thanks.

Glad to hear the save issue is solved :)
Did you also find a reason why the audio engine sometimes stops running? Maybe another audio app or browser plugin grabbing the driver..?

Return to “MUTOOLS”