Using sequences from the Demo packages of Mulab

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm wondering If I'll violate copyright laws if I use the "Dream Piano 2" sequence from the demo session called "Dream of the Piano" from mulab. I think I've made my best song and that song has that sequence, I feel super bad just ripping it out of Mihai Sorohan's composition, but it's the best sounding thing I've ever made.

The demo sessions are copyrighted. In this case you'll need permission from Mihai.

Demo's copyrighted? Seems strange... I've owned several hardware synths and not one has said you're not allowed to use Demo's for you're own personal use!

Publishing isn't personal use.

Also, copyright is automatically applied to pretty much anything in a form that can be reproduced, so you should never be surprised it exists. You should be surprised if it doesn't (subject to the copyright expiry terms - death plus 70 years, currently, I believe).

Licence to use copyright material is at the discretion of the copyright holder and the rights they licence will vary. It may well be that your hardware synths licence you to reuse the demos for any purpose without restriction. That does not mean they are not subject to copyright.

By personal use i meant whatever you choose to use it for, i wasn't being specific. I'm not going into the copyright debate again, got the t-shirt. Like many things copyright is massively over rated and over abused by th owner. People create something and have to get something back, there's no give anymore all people wanna do is take. But as i said not going there.

I hope you're not talking about Mihai. He's a great guy. The question wasn't even asked to him. As pljones says: Copyright is something that implictly exists as soon as you created something, and that's a good thing, it protects the creator. From there on everything is possible.

If it wasn't for copyright, there would be no protection for Open Source projects, for example, or material licensed under Creative Commons licences. It works both ways. A lot of the people who complain about copyright have no give, either - they just want a "free lunch".

Basically, until you ask the copyright holder, you don't know what the answer will be. Prejudging anything is simply that.

It was directed at no one in particular, it's the way society just IS. No matter how nice people are they still are the same. WE all are the same. That is a fundamental truth no one can escape from. We all act as individuals because we believe we are individuals. If you look deeper you can see it plain as day the opposite is true. Disbelieve me? What action can you take in life without it taking even the slightest effect on another in one way or another? There is none. Need more? You are who you are not because you are individual but because you are the conglomeration of all experience received from others. You will still deny this though.
A lot of the people who complain about copyright have no give, either - they just want a "free lunch".
I have given far more than I have ever received in my life. I am 42 and you can count on one hand the times I've asked for anything from anyone, and those times were purely out of desperation. I ask no one for anything for myself, never have never will, least not for trivial reasons.

My aim was to point out simply that my hardware has no copyright on these demos, so why MuLab's demo's? They are only demo's created probably in a matter of minutes to give an idea of the software. Though you think otherwise, I completely understand the logic of copyright, but what you fail to understand is it's immorality. Not all laws are moral just because they are Law, you must surely know this.

Forgive my diversion, I will leave you to your ideals, right or wrong. I'll repeat, I mean no offence, I'm attacking no one, if you feel the opposite then that is down to your own personal interpretation. I have many imperfections and know little, but still I look...

My opinions only offend. Usually because the offendee lacks the ability to understand. I wish no further discussion for this reason.

sl23 wrote:I have given far more than I have ever received in my life.
And others, of course, have not, which means you have entitlement where they don't? Or is this completely irrelevant?
sl23 wrote:My aim was to point out simply that my hardware has no copyright on these demos, so why MuLab's demo's?
And the answer to this is that you are simply wrong in saying there is no copyright.
sl23 wrote:They are only demo's created probably in a matter of minutes to give an idea of the software.
That is your assumption and may be completely insulting to the author.

pljones wrote:
sl23 wrote:And others, of course, have not, which means you have entitlement where they don't?
did i say that? As is so often the case, you put words into my mouth. I've seem this many times in the past with myself and others. But since you ask, the simple fact is most think they have rights where they have none. I have no more entitlement than anyone else.

As i said people take offence through lack of understanding, as you have just shown.

sl23 wrote:did i say that? As is so often the case, you put words into my mouth.
Where did I say you said anything? I asked for clarification. Please clarify. Speaking clearly makes for a much more friendly atmosphere than casting allegations, assumptions and accusations. If you speak clearly, then people will not be able to misunderstand you and you will not be in a position to take offence when they question your meaning.

you are mistaken, i take no offence, i simply stated a fact. You claimed i think myself better than others by making the statement i quoted above. I meant no offence in return, any received is down to the perceiver. A full explanation for you, and others, to understand would require a whole page of this forum. I do not wish to hijack this thread and no one is interested. It will only bring anger via confusion to those reading this. Which is why i didn't want to elaborate. If you wish, I'll pm you, but i know that is also unwanted. I stick by what i said above. Lasting knowledge is best gained through experience, rarely by being shown. It's the struggle that causes it to stick in the mind. This is why most things are best figured out by our own means.

Sorry for the intrusion. I shall refrain from posting in future, unless i have my own query regarding Mulab. All i will say regarding copyright is: look at the bigger picture... Really, does it matter? Copyright impedes progress. Simple as that. If you cannot see that, think long and hard about it. No matter what your present thoughts about it, that is the simple truth.

Return to “MUTOOLS”