A new Tape Flanger to share

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The famous Flanger using two tape machines, invented, as they say, in Abbey Road Studios with the Beatles.
It's so simple, I should have done this a lot earlier, but somestimes the brain does not always function as it should :)

This is a real "through zero" Flanger, which means the input signal disapears entirely when the two tapes are at the same position.
Although named Tape flanger, this is a clean flanger with no integrated tape emulation.
Tape Flanger.jpg
There are two modes: Auto and Manual which you can select with the ON/OFF switches.

In Auto mode an LFO runs the flanger. With Auto Speed you can dial in how fast the flanger moves. If you need a synced LFO, click on the "Auto" name to open the LFO and activate Tempo Sync.
For LFO curves, stay with the unipolar (only positive) waveforms. Negative LFO output will keep the flanger in the zero (=nothing to hear) position.

Use Manual mode to automate the flanger in the sequencer. In Mulab look for the "Manual" automation parameter. Again, an automation value of zero cancel the output and you hear nothing!

I did not add a clean dry/wet knob in anticipation of the on/off switch automation capability in M7 :).
But if you want to automate a bypass, look for the "ON" automation parameter. "0" is full bypass, "100%" is full flanger.
If you switch it off with the mouse, you get 100% bypass.

The Expert panel adds a few extra parameter:
Thru Zero is in case you do not want that total silence when running through zero. At 100% you will get the silence and if you turn the knob down you will hear more and more of the signal.

Ichtycoo Park is for that specific "Small Faces - Ichycoo Park" sound. At zero you have the normal flanger but if you dial in more Ichycoo Park you will get exactly that. Potentially you want to automate this as it sounds best close to the thru zero phase. For those who don't know what I mean, try it!

The manual knob is basically there to have an automation target, but you can use it for static flanging or, if you assign a hardware fader, manually play the flanger.

If you want to experiment, go inside the pach and disable the yello Audio Inverter. No more Thru Zero, but a different flanging sound.

The patch has a latency of 1 sample.

Have fun!!

This time the patch is attached, but you can find it HERE as well

Edited: There is a small bug in the patch. Either download it again or inside the patch edit the ON module and set Value=100. Sorry!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AndreasD on Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thank you very much looks great if it is possible could add a on and off button for the filter in the near future thank you
Last edited by runaudio on Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This looks really good. Any chance of a VST version for use in other DAWs?

Run it in MUX! But you have to wait for MUX v6.

AndreasD wrote:Run it in MUX! But you have to wait for MUX v6.
I would if I had it but alas, I do not. Looks interesting but I have other financial commitments at present and cannot justify the cost for the sake of a single phaser. Your work looks good though.

if you pick the flanger effect in mulab and go a cross you will find you dont need to run it in mux
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

runaudio wrote:thank you very much looks great if it is possible could add a on and off button for the filter in the near future thank you
Sorry, but what filter? This thing works with delays only.

i mean i like the way you have a on button for the flanger maybe you could have one for the filter so you can turn the filter on and off through automation

To automate a filter, i usually set freqency to max for a low pass to 'off' it.

But here is a template patch with that on/off switch.
Click on the filter button to open a MUX patch. Now you can load any MUX or in a MUX wrapped VST and on/off it.

You may also look at the Live Effects in the Experimental folder. It uses notes to switch something on/off. If this is useable but too complicated for your purposes, let me know and i see what can be done.

On top of that, inside the Live Effects is a Live Filter module which plays HP, LP filter plus resonance with pitchbend and modwheel. With the joystick on my Korg/Roland keyboards it's easy to play the filter.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

not quite have a look at this video start 4 min look how the automation turns the filter button on and off have you thought of makeing a Spectrum Analyzer and a eq and compressor with frequency showing so that you can see wot they are doing to the sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUp-JwK ... e=youtu.be

Great effect. Thanks!

Return to “MUTOOLS”