MU Tools as MIDI sequencer and a Feature Request [FR]

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I'm trying to use MUTools almost as MIDI sequencer on a windows tablet I just bought for 200€ to pimp my YAMAHA S70 XS which is a really great rompler and great synthesizer if you use the external editor.

Unfortunately the tablet is not very powerful 4 x 1.3 GHz Atom Processor and so already the simple first demo Song uses almost 50% of the processor load. Nevertheless I'd like to use MuTools almost as MIDI Sequencer as it is really very close to a good touch experience.

BUT there are issues. The latency on the tablet is in the default settings something about 1/2 second. I can perfectly reduce the latency by changing the audio settings to the minimal values. But then the timing doesn't work anymore. When recording even the click sound is shredded into hundrets of segments and the cursor progresses very very slowly. A 120BPM becomes something like 0,2BPM. So this doesn't work.

BUT I could set the audio settings to something about Blocklength 256 and 4 Blocks where timing works fine but the latency is about 1/2 second.

NOW the problem is that MU-Tools echoes all incoming MIDI events back into the synth. I would like to be able to switch this off in the settings or even better in the UI. Then I can run the synth in the LOCAL ON mode without any latency and the notes would be recorded in the right timing as well. The only problem is, that the notes sound a second time when they are echoed back from MU-Tools.

So this is my feature request. DO NOT output incoming MIDI events or give me a chance to switch this off but do of course output recorded MIDI events when playing the sequencer.

Or is there an way to do this in the existing version? Any Ideas?

Are you using ASIO support for audio?

I tried with ASOI4all. It got worse.

I found a workaround for the echoing problem. MU-Tools just echoes when a track is selected. When selecting a track that is not assigned to the MIDI Output, there is no echoing. Same when a rack device is selected. That's a little bit tricky now. I have to record on a track that's not attached to the MIDI out and then move the new part to the track that's connected to the appropriate MIDI channel.
Is not so elegant but works.

Return to “MUTOOLS”