Automation recording...

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was trying to do a fade-in with an automation track the other day by adjusting the "gain" on a track. And I kept getting a pop at the beginning of the track on playback. I created an automation lane, drew a clip and started at -00 and went to 0.0db with a curve. I could not get rid of the weird pop. Which oddly was intermittent. One time I would hit play and it would pop and the next time it wouldn't??? Very strange. So that got me wondering is it possible to "record" automation changes i.e. with a knob move while in record mode... which I could not get to work either? Hmmm... latest Mac version... OSX 10.9.5. Right clicking the record button says record automation? But nothing happens. Hmmm...

MuLab 6.5.8

Yep, I'm glad you confirm it. I think the latest update screwed some fundamental recording stuff. Oddly enough, MUX meta-parameters still get recorded, but you can no longer record parameters directly on a module, which includes VSTs, actually. So... it needs urgent fixing for sure. :shrug:

DHR53 wrote:I was trying to do a fade-in with an automation track the other day by adjusting the "gain" on a track. And I kept getting a pop at the beginning of the track on playback. I created an automation lane, drew a clip and started at -00 and went to 0.0db with a curve. I could not get rid of the weird pop. Which oddly was intermittent. One time I would hit play and it would pop and the next time it wouldn't???
It's the result of the parameter zipper noise filter which does a quick fade from one parameter value to the other. So if the value already is around the value you start playing at you won't here that 'pop', otherwise you hear the quick fade from the previous value to the new eg from 0 dB to -oo dB.
So that got me wondering is it possible to "record" automation changes i.e. with a knob move while in record mode... which I could not get to work either? Hmmm... latest Mac version... OSX 10.9.5. Right clicking the record button says record automation? But nothing happens.
A bug indeed in the M6.5 test version, fixed in the next M6.5.11, coming soon.

mutools wrote:
DHR53 wrote:I was trying to do a fade-in with an automation track the other day by adjusting the "gain" on a track. And I kept getting a pop at the beginning of the track on playback. I created an automation lane, drew a clip and started at -00 and went to 0.0db with a curve. I could not get rid of the weird pop. Which oddly was intermittent. One time I would hit play and it would pop and the next time it wouldn't???
It's the result of the parameter zipper noise filter which does a quick fade from one parameter value to the other. So if the value already is around the value you start playing at you won't here that 'pop', otherwise you hear the quick fade from the previous value to the new eg from 0 dB to -oo dB.
The parameter zipper noise filter definitely is a good thing, but i've finetuned the behavior wrt parameter automation parts when positioning the play cursor in a composition. Check out the next test version, available later today.

After running a number of tests on the same file... I could not get the rack volume to reset to absolute -oo. So when the play cursor starts it is in fact trying to pull it down to 0 from a little above 0 which is pretty odd also. i.e. I could not get it to start at 0 even recording over and over... Arghhh! Ha!

Not sure what you exactly did but note that when a part ends at eg position 17.1.0 and you put an automation point at 17.1.0 it is not played because it is opon the parts' end and end points are exclusive. (start points are inclusive). If you want an automation point to be played within a part time range make sure the point is positioned before the part's end, at least the minimum of 1 tick. Or make the part a bit longer so that the point can be played within the part's time range. In the above example: Let the part end at 18.1.0 while keeping the end point at 17.1.0. Hope i explained well.

Return to “MUTOOLS”