VSt locating not remembered/Mulab crash

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have for a while had a Project that uses the CM-505 drum machine. I've had no problems with it at all. But as I found out the VST had been updated, I renamed both dll's by adding version numbers. The VST database has been updated.

I expect here you are going to advise against renaming the dll files, but, I've renamed ALL my VST's and not one in the 300 odd has had any kind of problem, so I know it isn't due to renaming. Also, the CM-505 VST has been renamed before use in this project and had no issue until I renamed with version number, so renaming can be ruled out as a potential cause.

Now the problem...

1. Start Mulab and open Project
2. Get message 'Couldn't find VST plugin CM-505'
3. Choose either 'Locate' or 'Ignore'
4. I have to choose 'Locate' every time I start this project as it never saves the new location even though Mulab starts without problem once selecting the new VST. Perhaps that's the problem? I can use the newly located VST which makes the whole issue confusing! I have tried re-saving the project to see if that saved the new location/VST but Mulab refuses to remember it.

Or...

5. Choose 'Ignore' and Mulab crashes. Not sure why this would happen? Is it VST specific?

I can upload the project and VST's to dropbox if necessary. VST's are free so no 'piracy' issues to contend with :)

Thanks for your assistance...

Try removing all references to Cm505 in MuLab's vst plugin database. Then add your renamed version as a new plugin. Bottomline: Make sure there are no double/ambiguous references in the vst plugin database.

The only references in the database are the new/renamed VST's.

Tried deleting from database then added them again but still asking to locate and still crashing if I ignore. Did this after loading the project containing them and then saving it. Then loaded different project in case that was an issue.

Researching this in more detail...

Ok, thanks Jo :tu:

The fact that locating the renamed VST doesn't work seems to be a VST specific issue. I checked it with M6.5.12 using another VST and it works fine. Ignoring an unfound VST indeed causes a crash in M6.5. That crash bug has been fixed in the next version. Thx for reporting that.

I had the same problem with Dirty Harry from de la mancha.

I solved it by renaming the dll from - dirty_harry_1_1 to just - dirty_harry.

Then I just had to locate the new renamed dll once and save the project.
( I also of course saved an fxp so I could restore it with the same sound)

Now it opens fine without asking to locate it.
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

Of course as long as you don't resave that project after having located the renamed VST, the next time you load that project it will ask to locate again cause the old name still is in the unchanged project file.

Bottomline: Renaming a VST dll file will break it for all projects that use that VST until you have re-located the VST for that project and reseaved the project, then next time it will load fine again without popup question.

I didn't count on it breaking just because of rename op. Do you have any idea why Mulab can't save the location? I suppose it would mean you having to research the VST? obviously this aint gonna happen, understandably, but I was just curious if you knew any more?

Ok, so I could just add a new rack/track with new/renamed CM-505 and copy old data from old track to new, it's only in one project, so no biggy ;-)

I'll keep it in mind though for future ref!

Thanks for your help

sl23 wrote:Do you have any idea why Mulab can't save the location?
Euh i'm sorry but i don't understand the question. Save which location?

I mean the location of the VST that was renamed. For example, when right clicking a rack you can change the device for that track. Sorry for my ignorance, but why is this different? I suppose it doesn't matter really, if it's not Mulab, nothing can be done. It's ok don't worry I'll just make sure it doesn't happen again. :) :tu:

sl23 wrote:I mean the location of the VST that was renamed.
If you locate an unfound VST, this new location IS stored. But if you load a project that refers to "SomeOldVstName" and MuLab's VST database contains "SomeNewVstName" then of course there is no automatic link between those two names as they can be anything. Eg you could have renamed "Cm303.dll" to "NowThisIsANiceNewName.dll".
For example, when right clicking a rack you can change the device for that track. Sorry for my ignorance, but why is this different?
I really don't understand what you mean, sorry. Pls elaborate.

But that's what confuses me, if Mulab has VST's/CM-505/CM-505.dll as reference to find dll and you change it's name to CM-505 v1.02.dll it won't find it. But why does Mulab ask to locate it if the locating process doesn't work? How does Mulab store info on VST's in a project? By the path and filename? Then relocating shouldn't be a problem as Mulab should just use the new path and filename, yes? Perhaps it's a lot more complicated than that though.

I really don't want to distract you too much over a trivial matter as I know you're time limited :)

sl23 wrote:But that's what confuses me, if Mulab has VST's/CM-505/CM-505.dll as reference to find dll and you change it's name to CM-505 v1.02.dll it won't find it.
It's a different name.
But why does Mulab ask to locate it if the locating process doesn't work?
It does work! I checked it with ASynth, it does work.
But maybe it doesn't work for certain VSTs if they rely on their expected name themselves.
How does Mulab store info on VST's in a project? By the path and filename?
Filename.

mutools wrote: It's a different name.
This is understood, I get how changing, adding or removing any part of filenames can throw locations out.
It does work! I checked it with ASynth, it does work.
Ok, I should've said that it doesn't work in this instance :oops:
But maybe it doesn't work for certain VSTs if they rely on their expected name themselves.
Hmmm, but wouldn't that mean the VST would have problems in and of itself as soon as you changed it's default name?
How does Mulab store info on VST's in a project? By the path and filename?
Filename.
Ok, thanks Jo

Return to “MUTOOLS”