Limiter thoughts...

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Don't worry, I do not mean to spoil the well earned R&R for Jo, but I just want to write my thoughts down here just so- even when I forget- somebody else might remember them, too, haha. :oops:

One of my problems with the limiter is actually the "make-up gain", which is all good, sure, but it would be a lot easier to use, if it would determine the output gain as it comes out, rather than the difference to the limited gain. That means, I'd love to set 0db for the output as absolute, calculating automatically the make-up gain it would take to reach 0db, in this example.
When one adjusts the output gain as it is now, the curve may actually go miles high above the visible representation, for example, while the amount of volume that goes out is still comfortably visible on the meter. That creates a visual discrepancy, of course.

Also, I'm trying to create some more radical limiting, but since the ratio leaves the height of the top db without concrete value, you have to fish for a make-up gain by either using math or dialing around via trial and error to reach any specific amount.

Yes, if you understand the rather simple math, you could consider that all was well, of course, but with a bit of help from the inside by the module doing those calculations for you as you set your desired output value, the workflow would be much, much more pleasant, naturally.

What makes "Maxwell_Smart" and "LoudMax64", for example, so appealing is that you can focus on your idea or desire directly without having to fire up your mathematical skills. You simple set the low threshold from which you want to elevate the signal to the output level you set. You'll never know that it had to lower all the peaks above the threshold down to it and then make up for the lost volume by gaining the difference between the low threshold and your desired output level.

If there were any math modules in mux, one could possibly create a gui that could function that way, too, but since limiter and compressor are both modules themselves, it might be cool to add another limiter version that has those conveniences built-in. "Limiter Delux"?

Just some thoughts on that subject... :)

hello, Taron,
Taron wrote:math modules
even the present adamant dabbler that is me might be able to imagine the enormous help of one modified modulation constant module, able to receive expressions, simple formulae, in the buiding of more complex behaviours, meaning less nodes to calculate, resulting in more efficient, more intuitive to work with, more elegant, solutions.

plus one million one thousand one, as support points.
Taron wrote:limiter deluxe
thanks for the food for thought about this.

in the small project of my triode biasing experiment, found another use for the presently available limiter module as wave shaper, sounds quite good, will upload the whole thing when ready.

already found, downloaded, both of the plug-ins you have mentioned, have to find the time to try them yet.

till later, all the best...

Haha, yeah, those plugins feel like bread & butter, totally streamlining the mixing process. I've made a comparison between maxwell and the internal limiter and found out something peculiar: it seems that maxwell offsets the phase, but that it uses greater intervals to apply the volume correction to. The internal limiter is as direct as can be and uses a tight enough interval to boost fractions of a wave! That means, if you have a single waveform that has a double sine (octave up), while one sine is half the amplitude of the other, the limiter will bring both sines to the same level! This, of course, alters the sound significantly. And that makes me wonder, if a control over the interval for correcting the volume would be desirable?! Or maybe there's a solid logic like using the lowest perceivable Hz as interval, something like a 20hz or 15hz interval? I don't know... :shrug:

Also, it appears that both Maxwell Smart and LoudMax do their best to avoid distortions.

Yeah, if there was an efficient way of integrating a custom expression module...pffff...that would be insanely beautiful! :love:

hello, Taron,
Taron wrote:those plugins feel like bread & butter, totally streamlining the mixing process
are you mixing into these as mastering plug-ins or just use them at tracks for all the different dynamics processing purposes?

what you wrote about them, makes me put the testing of them first on the priority list. :wink:
Taron wrote:if there was an efficient way of integrating a custom expression module
hopefully there will be, Jo will certainly find that, sure.

for illustrating my stubbornness, also because forgot to mention earlier, besides the math or expression node, one simple logical module could also be quite useful.

all the best...

Thus far I've used those plugins on Drums, Bass and Master.
I don't want to reduce the dynamic of instruments that want to be dynamic, you know, but when I come across the appropriate tracks, I might use one of them there, too.

As far as the math modules go, ReaJS in the reaplugs collection might be useful for simple math and a whole lot more.

Return to “MUTOOLS”