very special midi in/mulab/kontakt problem (SOLVED)

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I have a very special connection problem with midi in (midi looper), mulab and kontakt. I get midi over midilooper from an external midi composer software into mulab.

I set the midi input channel targets to a rack with kontakt and different kontakt instruments. Now the problem: kontakt wont recognize the different channels I am setting in the midi input channel targets but will only get midi on channel one. Even if I take different kontakt instruments in different racks it wont work, only on channel one. I have tried the settings in kontakt, but just wont help.

In general it works with different vst in different racks in mulab and it works with no problems with kontakt in Tracktion 6, but not with mulab and kontakt, sigh....

Any ideas ?
Last edited by tatanka on Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just to be clear:

You have an external MIDI source sending MIDI events where the channel number varies (1 to 16).
You have the source connected to MuLab (proven by having things work for channel 1 :) ).

OK... I stick a MIDI Monitor in the path in front of Kontakt and even though my keyboard is sending on Channel 2, the monitor says Channel 1. So you can be happy it's not just you :).

What you need to do is set the MIDI Input Channel Targets. Change "Focussed Channel" to the input channel number. I'm not sure how "Focussed Channel" actually works...

pljones wrote:I'm not sure how "Focussed Channel" actually works...
It's explained in the "Edit MIDI Input Channel Targets " section on http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mulab/main-menu.html

"When target module is set to 'Focused Module', then that MIDI input channel will play the module that is currently focused. When target channel is set to 'Focused Channel', then that MIDI input channel will play on the focused MIDI channel of the target module for that MIDI input channel. Each module also has a focused MIDI channel which is the MIDI channel you last played on. Imagine you have 4 tracks routed to a single instance of module X, track 1 to channel 1, track 2 to channel 2 etc. When you select track 1, so module X is focused, on channel 1 (now this is the focused channel for module X). When you select track 3, so module X still is focused, but now on channel 3 (now this is the focused channel for module X). So if you map external MIDI input channel 1 to module X but to its focused channel, then you'll always get module X but on its last focused channel."

Sorry, I was to unprezise, with midi input I meant of course th midi input channel targets, I have done that from focussed to the channels where the midi comes in. And as I said, it works with all other plugins AND it works in Tracktion with Kontakt. Thats the problem.

O.k., get it. My fault was that I had not changed the "target channel" in the edit midi input channel targets. Did not even know that you CAN change that (with dragging the left mouse button), thought it was just a determination in general....Happy it works now, thanks to Joe and pljones for making me think again :D

mutools wrote:"When target module is set to 'Focused Module', then that MIDI input channel will play the module that is currently focused. When target channel is set to 'Focused Channel', then that MIDI input channel will play on the focused MIDI channel of the target module for that MIDI input channel. Each module also has a focused MIDI channel which is the MIDI channel you last played on. Imagine you have 4 tracks routed to a single instance of module X, track 1 to channel 1, track 2 to channel 2 etc. When you select track 1, so module X is focused, on channel 1 (now this is the focused channel for module X). When you select track 3, so module X still is focused, but now on channel 3 (now this is the focused channel for module X). So if you map external MIDI input channel 1 to module X but to its focused channel, then you'll always get module X but on its last focused channel."
Heh... that doesn't really help if I have no tracks, just MIDI input. If I want to be able to focus a module and then play channel 1, then play channel 2 and have the module receive channel 1, then channel 2, I have to go into "Edit MIDI Input Channel Targets" to set it all up. I can see "Focussed Channel" might sometimes be handy but I'd have gone for the 1->1, 2->2 as the default. I'll save out my default project again set up like that :).

pljones wrote:Heh... that doesn't really help if I have no tracks, just MIDI input. If I want to be able to focus a module and then play channel 1, then play channel 2 and have the module receive channel 1, then channel 2, I have to go into "Edit MIDI Input Channel Targets" to set it all up.
There is an easy and practical alternative: Setup tracks. That way you have shortcuts (the track headers) to all different module-channel combinations you want to play.

It's still less "short" than simply changing channel on the keyboard. So it's either set up a track per channel and then have to switch track or it's set up Input Channel Targets to pass on the channel. The latter seems less complicated, really, especially as I tend not to start "thinking in tracks" until I've got some idea of what I'm going to record.

Then setting up the MIDI Input Channel Targets so that 1->1, 2->2, 3->3, ... gets where you want, right?
And luckily this only is a one time setup and you can save it as a project template.

Yes.

By the way, dragging the channel number allows me to go way over 16, the maximum valid channel number.

It would be handy if Track, Part and Event had "Map Input MIDI Channel to Focussed Channel", which would set the Input Channel Map for the selected Track, Part or Event's channel to Focussed Channel. That way you could quickly switch into Focussed Channel mode if it was needed.

Return to “MUTOOLS”