MuLab 7.0.47

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mutools wrote:Indeed, still working on the mac update. I'll be happy myself too that i can continue on the very real sound and music aspects of MuLab an MUX, but wrt the Mac version i had this choice: drop Mac support or completely rewrite the Mac specific code which was outdated as it was still using the Carbon framework, which was also the reason why no 64 bit version + MUX for Mac was possible. After some long thinking i decided to continue + renew Mac support as it is a too important platform, especially to musicians. So that's what i'm working on now. Indeed time flies: June was M7 release + follow up, July + August was decompression + holiday + renew Mac support + some necessary renovation works on my old house + improving dev setup + sorting out probs with the mutools.com webhost (took time too!) + ... I realize it would be nice to have some concrete news/update on short term. It's often difficult to predict how much time such new developments will take, and so i'm not yet sure how much time i still need to get that new Mac version up and running. But step by step it is progressing and i do hope to share concrete results this month.
Thank you jo for reply

Mac Mac Mac
:love: :hug: :party:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread, but I'm wanting to update my MuLab 6 and MUX VST to the latest versions- I need to buy both upgrades, correct? I think I'd bought the bundle version previously.
Also, I stupidly didn't realize it was a paid upgrade, had just gone straight to downloads, and even more stupidly just replaced the MuLab 6 exe with 7. Not sure exactly how the user key system works, but hopefully all can be un-borked :oops:
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

ccDuckett wrote:Apologies if this is in the wrong thread, but I'm wanting to update my MuLab 6 and MUX VST to the latest versions- I need to buy both upgrades, correct?
Yes.
Also, I stupidly didn't realize it was a paid upgrade, had just gone straight to downloads, and even more stupidly just replaced the MuLab 6 exe with 7. Not sure exactly how the user key system works, but hopefully all can be un-borked :oops:
Upgrading from M6 to M7 is not simply updating the exe, that won't work well.
To update M6 to M7, install M7 in a new folder and copy over your M6 user settings.
More info on http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mulab/ ... ation.html

Hey Jo,

Not sure if this bug has been mentioned before, but some VST plugins are leaving a white window open after I close the vst. The only way I have found to close the white window is to restart mulab. I attached a pic of the window that battery left behind.

Another VST effect that also leaves a window is "kickstart". There is a demo version available if that would help you find a solution.

Otherwise, I am loving mulab!

Cheers,
Austin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi Austin, it's a known issue, already raised by me and other MuLab users.
Looks like a not easy task to fix with current software.
The hope is to have this solved in the future 64-bit OS X release that is under development.

Regards

It's indeed a known issue which has been researched in depth and i still strongly doubt whether the very technical reason is on MuLab's side. (are these plugs built with JUCE? There are serious indications the white window prob is a JUCE issue) But from a broader perspective it probably is also related to the fact that MuLab for OSX still uses the legacy Carbon framework and that has become a dead-end street anyway. I'm currently working on rewriting all Mac specific code so it uses the Cocoa framework. It's 75% done, currently working on the VST editors, and that's a tricky part, especially wrt (older) 32 bit VSTs that still use a Carbon based editor. If you're interested in testing the new MuLab for Mac please stay tuned here on this forum or on MuTools' website, facebook or twitter. I hope to have a test version this month.

Hi Jo,

Thanks for the technical explanation! Apologies for the repeat :dog: Not sure if these are built on JUCE. Rewriting code sounds like a bitch, but you are doing a great job. I'm looking forward to testing the next version.

Cheers!
Austin

Great! I'm also interested in trying the new Mac test version.

Update on the new MuLab for Mac works: There is a serious chance i'll have to abandon 32 bit VST plugins that still use a Carbon based editor. This will especially be about older VST plugins that are not updated anymore and thus are dying anyway, as Mac is not really a platform with much backward compatibility. I doubt that the possible decision to abandon Carbon based VSTs would affect using VSTs that are actively maintained as there will be a 64 bit version of them and/or a 32 bit version using a Cocoa editor via Cockos's VST extension (VST plugin supports "hasCockosViewAsConfig") which really is the recommended way for 32 bit VST 2 plugins on Mac.
I'm curious for your thoughts about this.

mutools wrote:Mac is not really a platform with much backward compatibility.
Exactly, so don't bother either on this issue. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Jo,

Carbon is old and busted. Cocoa is the new hotness!

Don't worry too much about the old 32-bit VSTs--they barely limp along right now as it is.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

mutools wrote:Carbon based VSTs
Hehe, sorry that made me chuckle.

I say it is survival of the fittest and there is no room on the planet for carbon-based VSTs anymore.

syntonica wrote:Don't worry too much about the old 32-bit VSTs
agreed

FR: Could we have access to 'show all' and 'hide all' on the bar via shortcuts?
FR: From browser, let user drag an fxp so that 'select next and drop again' works

Thanks

Return to “MUTOOLS”