Mulab's CPU efficiency ...

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: Why do other DAW's manage to enable the resource manager to show correct values?
I don't think they do really. It has always been recommended here and elsewhere to use the task manager as a measuring tool for CPU load.
Huh? That is exactly what we are talking about here :wink:
Unlike other DAW's Mulab doesn't seem to report the real usage to the Tast Manager, not even close.

Why do you have such a crazy view of the world? External measurement of the performance of a piece of software does not work by asking the piece of software "Hello, how well do you think you're performing?" it works by... measuring the performance of the piece of software.

fluffy_little_something wrote:A really weird attitude for a programmer...
No, really not, i'm focusing on the right goal, imho.
To be straight, and that's not meant disrespectful, i think you didn't understand my technical explanation.
Having an AMD processor instead of an i7 or Xeon, I do have to plan how many tracks I can use, which instruments I can use etc. That is why I want and need to know what is going on in terms of CPU usage...
Really the best answer i can give is: Check it out in practice!!
Do a practical stress test with at least as many parallel tracks/racks as you're using cores. And of course keep all parameters the same when comparing DAWs, as mentioned before.

pljones wrote:
What, wanting their software to do what their software is meant to do as well as it can? Or do you think that displaying numbers in Windows Resource Manager is what the software intended for? That seems like a weird attitude for someone wanting to make music.
You fail to see the point. The Task Manger is there for a reason. Mulab is misleading the Task Manager, making it display values that don't allow me to see how much of my CPU power I still have available for additional tracks, effects or whatever.

And don't tell me it is one or the other, other DAW's manage to be good DAW's and at the same time report realistic values to the Task Manager.

mutools wrote:
No, really not, i'm focusing on the right goal, imho.
To be straight, and that's not meant disrespectful, i think you didn't understand my technical explanation.
Having an AMD processor instead of an i7 or Xeon, I do have to plan how many tracks I can use, which instruments I can use etc. That is why I want and need to know what is going on in terms of CPU usage...
Really the best answer i can give is: Check it out in practice!!
Do a practical stress test with at least as many parallel tracks/racks as you're using cores. And of course keep all parameters the same when comparing DAWs, as mentioned before.
It's simply not my way of thinking at all. I am the wysiwyg kind of person. I want to see the real status whenever I feel like it. I don't want to wait for crackling in the sound to inform me that my CPU is at its limits :hihi:

Ok if you're looking for a DAW that has the best 'cpu reporting to the system's resource manager' then MuLab will not be your best choice.

Nielzie wrote:
Zexila wrote:
Michael L wrote:Out of curiosity, I loaded mda e-piano in MuLab on my old 2-core 2.66 i7 MBP running OSX and it almost hit 1% on the OSX Activity Monitor, even playing chords. That's good enough for me.
Got 16.5% in idle without anything loaded on my 2.0ghz late 2006 MacBook Image
That's really high and I can't imagine it has something to do with either the mda e-piano or MuLab, especially when idle.. I'm a Windows OS user though, but even with that in mind.. that's extraordinary high.
It's without anything loaded at all, only master rack, but think that's because of on-board audio and lower buffer that can't be changed unfortunately, Logic is 7% in idle on highest buffer and more as it goes down, but it starts getting crazy when things start adding up fast, but than it holds up nicely overall until the end, remember testing it against Reaper and difference was that initial idle one, which surprised me, it turns out were just getting extra with Reaper what Logic eats in idle and that's it, nothing more, TBH, wasn't excited about it, because Logic stock stuff is way better and use so little resources.

It's not fair to do any on-board test against MuLab, because buffer can't be changed, so that's how it is for me, 16.5% in idle on this thing. :scared:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

mutools wrote:Ok if you're looking for a DAW that has the best 'cpu reporting to the system's resource manager' then MuLab will not be your best choice.
PS: Note that the more accurate 'cpu reporting to the system's resource manager' also costs a little bit cpu which cannot be used for making music. It depends on the OS how much that 'little bit' is. So your preference also has a price.

I don't need precise real-time tracking of CPU usage, either, but I do think it makes little sense to see 6/6 cores occupied when in reality only 1/6 is :wink:

Never mind, if that's the Mulab way, so be it...

I will also try Lumit at the weekend, judging from the screenshots it seems to be rather colorful, ergonomic and visual, which suits me better than reading labels and menus.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't need precise real-time tracking of CPU usage
Oh, you've meanwhile changed your mind then? Or did i misunderstood something?
either, but I do think it makes little sense to see 6/6 cores occupied when in reality only 1/6 is
The sense has been explained but you don't seem to understand it. Maybe you don't want to understand it?
Never mind, if that's the Mulab way, so be it...
I will also try Lumit at the weekend, judging from the screenshots it seems to be rather colorful, ergonomic and visual, which suits me better than reading labels and menus.
Ok, have fun making music! It's all about the music :phones:

Zexila wrote:It's not fair to do any on-board test against MuLab, because buffer can't be changed, so that's how it is for me, 16.5% in idle on this thing. :scared:
Maybe i'll add more control over buffersize in some future version. Yes that's indeed on the (long) wishlist, just double-checked it.

mutools wrote:
Zexila wrote:It's not fair to do any on-board test against MuLab, because buffer can't be changed, so that's how it is for me, 16.5% in idle on this thing. :scared:
Maybe i'll add more control over buffersize in some future version. Yes that's indeed on the (long) wishlist, just double-checked it.
Awesome, this old relic would appreciate it. :hyper:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Admittedly I don't know much about differences in CPU's, but according to reviews and online comparisons I used when building my PC last year, AMD is simply no comparison to Intel in terms of power. If that's true, then I just cannot understand why any one would even consider purchasing an AMD for music production?!

Though, I'm curious, Jo, which is better for mulab, AMD or Intel? Or, more cores or more powerful architecture?

sl23 wrote:Though, I'm curious, Jo, which is better for mulab, AMD or Intel?
To be honnest i can't advice in this because i assume this changes from new model to new model. And also other aspects are important when choosing a computer setup, eg price, other uses for that machine, ...
Maybe this site helps: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/
Or, more cores or more powerful architecture?
Without doubt: The more real cores the better and the faster they can work the better. Also the more RAM the better, especially if you're using lots of samples. Anyway, optimizing a computer for music production is not specific for MuLab. Pls search the web, there are many great websites that go into detail.

I opened a thread on that topic some time ago...
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&start=15

Return to “MUTOOLS”