OS X
21%
Linux
4%

Total votes: 24

RELATED
PRODUCTS

As tittle suggest, do expand on your choice if you like. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Windows (for now). Not a fan of Mac. Running Mulab in Wine on Linux doesn't allow for drag-and-drop which is almost fundamental with automation on Mulab/MUX parameters (There is a menu but it's not the most fun to dig through hundreds of parameters).

Dakkra
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Windows :)

dakkra wrote:Windows (for now). Not a fan of Mac. Running Mulab in Wine on Linux doesn't allow for drag-and-drop which is almost fundamental with automation on Mulab/MUX parameters (There is a menu but it's not the most fun to dig through hundreds of parameters).

Dakkra
Is that this same issue from this one or something else?

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=467526
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

My OS of choice for everything except music creation is Linux. Having used MacOS once and iOS once, I'd rather never have to repeat the experience. I have a couple of music apps on Android that work okay (on Android 6, even pretty responsively!) but on ChromeOS, it's so locked down, you need to drop to Linux to get anywhere.

Up until the last five years or so, Linux UI was very hit and miss. It's got a lot better recently. However, it doesn't have the three decades plus of consistent support of Windows - because the evolutionary models are so different. When it comes to audio, Linux ought to be a real winner given that JACK is a better option than ASIO. Sadly, again due to the way Linux application development works, decent native applications have been a long time becoming stable and feature-rich. WINE has always been hit and miss for me - indeed, sometimes working and sometimes not. Overall, the prevalence of open source solutions will always reduce the platform's attractiveness to commercial developers as they'll be fighting for a small fraction of a small market and the "sell support" model also is hard work at that scale.

I now use Windows as my primary desktop at home (with remote X onto my Linux server) and my PC is primarily for music creation. I'm happily using Windows 10 and haven't had any problems with it. I used Start8 with Windows 8 to stop it looking like Windows Phone and still have the penultimate (still working) version on Windows 10 (for the same reason, though Win10 is less annoying).

I come from a Unix background, Irix, Solaris, Next, COS etc... So I will always prefer
a unix type architecture. Unfortunately, the commercial software world does not feel
the same way for the most part. So I'm stuck with windoze.

I like OSX and built this computer specifically to run it, but haven't gotten round to
installing it as yet.

-Cheers

I'm fan of PC scince old MS-DOS days. I love the tweaking possibilities that allow even hardware addons and changes within the more or less well documented MS-Systems. And I do not want to setup different PCs with different OSes for different purposes. Actually I use Win8.1 running in classic-desktop-mode and it runs fast and stable. Of course I use a number of PCs but the only difference to my studio-PC is, that this one has no internet-connection. That really helps to keep the system clean and slim!

If I were starting from scratch these days with MuLab, would be hard pressed to shell out more than 20 bucks for Windows, so probably would stick to Linux or get cheap XP, no way I would pay 100+ bucks for Windows 8.1/10 OEM.

Got Linux even on my old Macbook and I'm really happy with Mint Cinnamon, considering my affection towards OS X, this is even better IMHO, still prefer Windows for audio because Linux over WINE is nothing more than that, with even less things working out, so yeah, on other hand without Logic, whole Apple thing is just over the top unnecessary for me, especially for MuLab.

On the budget, combination of cheap custom built or just old PC with Linux/XP running MuLab is more than manageable for most of the people, it's awesome MuLab got nice legacy support, you can really get something going on fast and cheap, especially these days with Tracktion 5 being free and covering all 3 platforms too, low end musicing just got better, plenty of nice freebies around, some nice old quality hardware going for peanuts second hand, good times.

For quite some time being hooking up kids from "hood" with MuLab, you could imagine old machines they are having, it's mostly XP to be seen there and MuLab is just the ticket for them, easy to use and works good on their machines, but what is most important they are having a blast and that keeps some of them from the streets, good ol' Proteus VX is just the thing for their rap/hip hop stuff, awesome.

My main Platform remains Mac/OS X, but I'm still interested in keeping projects on Windows PC as well.
OS X has nice specific tools but Garageband (while recently improved a lot) is too limited and Logix Pro X is a bit too sophisticated for music sketching work.
MuLab perfectly stays in the middle, it's minimal enough while powerful (and runs on PC as well). The main need now is for a 64-bit Mac MuLab release, especially adding more compatibility with 3rd party plugins.

Return to “MUTOOLS”