Quantizing Audio In

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, I'm curious as to how I would go about quantizing audio-in, from a red/white 1/4 inch to 3.5 millimeter jack, like for example, vocals or recorded electronic drums (from a Roland TD-11).

I could make a video to show what I'm talking about to demonstrate. Can't seem to figure out quantizing at all on this.

Love the UI so far, but that's my only snag. Monitoring works great. The module is something I can't wait to play around with.

- Skunk, from The Polygraphs

You mean real-time audio quantizing? That's not supported in M7. What you can do is record audio, convert an audio section into a sample, put markers at the transients, and quantize the sequence playing that sample. That method is shown in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxOVq-IU_wM

I'll upload a video later today to show what I'm talking about.

I don't mean real-time quantizing btw, like as I'm recording, I mean during the editing process.

Btw, I figured out that I have to use the USB functionalities for both in *and* out, otherwise it will record the click track from the computer lol.

I still don't understand the case but maybe this video helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XZSMIYx0BQ

Is there any way you'd be able to chat, like on google hangouts? Would be easy for me to show that way. If not, I'll try to make another video to show again.

No chat option, i'm sorry. When describing the question, pls be as to the point as possible.

The best I can think from reading this is that beat-slicing is the process needed. You my need to recreate the structures involved but there are plently of beatslicing VST's out there.
Hope this helps.

And beat slicing can also be done using MUX' multi-sampler.

Mulab's sampler will beat, transient, time slice whatever...
But yeah no real-time, record first then edit with the sampler to slice. Drive the slices
with a midi clip thats been quantized.

...Simple

-Cheers

So According to this I should be able to just use a sampler (how to open sampler?) to slice up and quantize?

And drive the slices? Forgive me, total noob here. Need lots of help rofl. Thanks guys.

Use the editor to add markers to the audio, those are your slices.
Use the sampler to assign the slices to notes, use the midi clip to play
the notes. Quantize the midi if you want.

*You have to insert the sampler onto a track, then select the audio you've
recorded.

-Cheers

Yeah, this is entirely too cryptic and difficult to get answers to on forums...

I mean, this is kind of an important DAW feature and not everyone makes electronic music... Obviously it's possible, but I guess I just need to experiment with it more because these instructions really aren't in-depth enough.

How do you assign slices to notes once the markers are in place? Seems to be some missing steps here, considering when I drag MuSampla (is this even the Sampler?) into the Track and then try to "select the audio I've recorded", the only options it gives me are for samples that came prepackaged with the DAW and no matter how deeply I navigate... Nothing. I mean, I'm sorry to express some frustration here guys, but I've taken the time to upload a video to *show* you guys what I'm talking about. Screen shots help. Just expecting me to be Professor X and magically know what you're talking about doesn't.

Don't get me wrong guys. The UI is nice. This seems like a really good DAW. I understand how this could be really liberating once a person gets the nooks and crannies figured out but...

I gotta say, from an instrumentalist prospective (and one who's operating 100% digital, no less), this hasn't been a very user-friendly experience out of the get go.
Last edited by PolygraphSkunk on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MUTOOLS”