RELATED
PRODUCTS

Stuff It is on version 16 now, ha-ha!
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

mutools wrote:
syntonica wrote:Here's an odd bug for you: Mac v7.1.28

The Play transport button toggles properly when you click it, but not if you use the spacebar. Playback starts and stops properly, the button just doesn't toggle. :shrug:

Edit: forgot to mention running on Mavericks.
Are you saying that the play button is grey (=off) while the play position line is moving?

Is this with all projects (including the demo projects) or only with some specific project?
Bah! Now *I* can't repeat it. :dog: I can't remember what I was doing when it happened. Oh well, maybe the restart fixed it... :ud:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

mutools wrote:
Calum wrote:Spotted something else though while checking the above. MuLab's virtual midi keyboard appears to be producing midi notes that sustain indefinitely in M7.1.28. Looks like there is no NoteOff message being sent when keys are released. Works as expected in M7.0.48.
Confirmed. Will be fixed. Thx for reporting this!
There is a new M7.1.29 for MacOS 64 bit here:

http://www.mutools.com/mulab/app-patch/ ... 64-app.zip

This fixes the hanging notes in the Virtual Keyboard.

Best to open the zip with a non-Apple zip extracter (eg the free StuffIt Expander) cause Apple doesn't trust non-Apple apps and puts all non-Apple apps in quarantine by default.

On 7.1.29 and still running into odd GUI issues. This time, the whole GUI froze, although the program was otherwise functioning normally.

In trying to find who to blame, I see some odd VST error codes in the logs. Are these MuLab's internally error codes, or are they from Steinberg? Can you point me to a list somewhere?

I also get the occasional Apple error crash report and I can usually find the offending VST there, but this last crash on closing pointed to MuLab. :arrow: :scared: Since it was to fix the GUI freeze, I can't tell where the error cascaded down from... I have several seemingly innocuous Vst errors in the error log with unknown error numbers. :help:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Difficult to tell anything about errors if i don't know which errors you mean. Pls email me the error logs. Thx.

Also screenvideos showing the issues you're encountering could be very helpful.

mutools wrote:Difficult to tell anything about errors if i don't know which errors you mean. Pls email me the error logs. Thx.
I'm just talking about these types errors from the MuLab log:

03:16:42:687 Error VstPlgnMngr[1337] CrX4

03:22:42:662 Error VstPlgnMngr[1112] SpicyGuitar

Are they important or not? Unfortunately, I'm just noodling around when the problems happen and I need to figure which plug-in, if any, is causing the problem.

Edit: And the winner is... SpicyGuitar with error 1112! MuLab GUI freezes completely upon opening. :x I just can't win with guitar VSTs... :(

syntonica wrote:
mutools wrote:Difficult to tell anything about errors if i don't know which errors you mean. Pls email me the error logs. Thx.
I'm just talking about these types errors from the MuLab log:
03:16:42:687 Error VstPlgnMngr[1337] CrX4
03:22:42:662 Error VstPlgnMngr[1112] SpicyGuitar
Are they important or not? Unfortunately, I'm just noodling around when the problems happen and I need to figure which plug-in, if any, is causing the problem.
Yes these are important errors. They both mean that the VST is doing invalid actions wrt multi-threading.
The name of the VST is displayed after the error message. You should avoid using such VSTs and/or contact the dev and tell them their plugs are doing "audioMasterAutomate" or "audioMasterUpdateDisplay" from a non UI thread.

I think it should be mandatory that VST coders test their wares in MuLab! Isn't there a Steinberg-approved VST test host that should be catching these?!?

I also caught one that was blowing up MuLab because it is JUCE-based and they are not disposing of the popup menus properly. That makes 3 in one day! :tu:

:dog:

That's a big issue with VST, its definition is not strict enough, which leads to implementation noise. Luckily there are many good VSTs out there so you have a broad choice.

There is a new M7.1.30 available here: http://www.mutools.com/mulab/app-patch/index.html

What's changed:
  • Audio markers could be dragged before 0, which could also lead to crashes. Fixed.
  • MacOS version: Created a practical workaround for Sierra's new 3rd party app quarantine hassle. Details below.
  • MacOS version: New "Floating Windows Auto-Hide On Deactivate" preference.
  • Fixed a couple of case-sensitivity issues in the zip packages. (Important for case-sensitive file systems)
Wrt that MacOS quarantine problem:
I've made a little tool called Quarantine Remover which can be downloaded here:

http://www.mutools.com/mulab/app-patch/ ... emover.zip

How to use it:
  • Launch the tool, eventually via right-click -> Open
  • Drag-drop the MuLab.app file onto the green window area
From now on, MuLab can be launched normally.
NB: When you install an update of MuLab, you may have to redo this on the new MuLab.app file. Luckily it's quick and easy.

mutools wrote:There is a new M7.1.30 available here: http://www.mutools.com/mulab/app-patch/index.html

What's changed:
  • Audio markers could be dragged before 0, which could also lead to crashes. Fixed.
  • MacOS version: Created a practical workaround for Sierra's new 3rd party app quarantine hassle. Details below.
  • MacOS version: New "Floating Windows Auto-Hide On Deactivate" preference.
  • Fixed a couple of case-sensitivity issues in the zip packages. (Important for case-sensitive file systems)
Wrt that MacOS quarantine problem:
I've made a little tool called Quarantine Remover which can be downloaded here:

http://www.mutools.com/mulab/app-patch/ ... emover.zip

How to use it:
  • Launch the tool, eventually via right-click -> Open
  • Drag-drop the MuLab.app file onto the green window area
From now on, MuLab can be launched normally.
NB: When you install an update of MuLab, you may have to redo this on the new MuLab.app file. Luckily it's quick and easy.
Sorry but I can't find M7.1.30 at http://www.mutools.com/mulab/app-patch/index.html

Did you read that webpage?

mutools wrote:Did you read that webpage?
Yes, of course.
But I have just rechecked and now the 7.1.30 is visible.
(maybe a caching issue even if I tried to reload it)
Thanks and regards.

Yes, the main site pages (i.e. not the .../galaxa/... etc) do seem to suffer some caching problems for some people at some times. I've had it intermittently over the years - sometimes a refresh clears it, sometimes I just have to wait until somewhere clears upstream.

Return to “MUTOOLS”