MuLab - How to Record MIDI In

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So--- I was able to usea midi channel splitter in the modular view to take a multi-timbral VSTi and send its midi channel outputs to four separate instruments, which are 'playing' each channel's sound. BUT-- how do I RECORD the midi data? The only thing I can seem to record is notes played on my midi keyboard, and not from a midi source 'inside' a MuLab project....

thanks!
Bryan

If you want to record internal MIDI, then use an Event Recorder module and connect its event input to the event output of the module you want to record.

By the way: If you don't see the emails from MuTools.com you're expecting please do check your spam folder.
Especially Gmail is often falsely marking emails as spam.

Thanks!

And I always check my spam folder in Gmail, since things like to hide out there once in a while... :)

Nothing there, though...I'll email an alternative email address.

Thanks!

Will the event recorder create clips in the 'compose' view?

BTW...this latest version of MuLab is TOPS! :)

Thanks,
Bryan

D'oh! Adding an event recorder causes MuLab to crash just after the count-in and before it's going to start recording...

Bryan

bcgreen24 wrote:Thanks!
And I always check my spam folder in Gmail, since things like to hide out there once in a while... :)
Nothing there, though...I'll email an alternative email address.
Thanks!
FYI: That email was sent on 21 january 15:06 CET.

Ok i've updated your email address and resent it there.

bcgreen24 wrote:D'oh! Adding an event recorder causes MuLab to crash just after the count-in and before it's going to start recording...
I did a quick doublecheck, works fine here.

So please let me know:

* Are you on Mac or Win?
* Are you using VSTs?
* Please post a little project, preferrably with MUX modules only (ie no VSTs) that repeats the problem.
* Please post the detailed crash report thus including the crash module and crash location.

Thx.

OK, no more crashing...I believe the crash was caused by an empty MIDI stream (which will make more sense in a second)... :)

So: I'm using the Intermorphic Noatikl VSTi in my project. It creates generative music, and I'm outputting 4 channels of MIDI data from it on channels 1-4 and feeding it into a MIDI channel splitter in MuLab.

From there, I'm sending channels 1-4 to separates MUXes, then running the output of each MUX to an event recorder (see attached screenshot).

When I try recording, all the audio plays back fine, but the event recorders don't seem to be recording anything; I'm assuming the clips would be created under "Sequences" in the browser within 'This Project'? If so, there's nothing being created there...

Thanks!
Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bcgreen24 wrote:... then running the output of each MUX to an event recorder..

When I try recording, all the audio plays back fine, but the event recorders don't seem to be recording anything; I'm assuming the clips would be created under "Sequences" in the browser within 'This Project'? If so, there's nothing being created there...
I tried something similar with my version of noatikl and was unable to record the midi also. I reckon there's any easy fix we're overlooking.
"Music is directly tied to the technology of a culture."
"Modular gear is the craft beer of music."

In the default template, the event recorder is before anything else.

If you want to record events OUTPUT by a VST, you need an event record AFTER that VST.

pljones wrote:If you want to record events OUTPUT by a VST, you need an event record AFTER that VST.
@bcgreen24: For me the trick was to make sure all the recorders were armed and then once I started the Main project recorder going then Noatikl started to play and then the sequences were recorded. You can see in this screen-grab that sequences were automatically placed in the Sequences folder. Very cool stuff!!

p.s. you don't need the Event Monitor in there for this to work, I just put them in to watch the MIDI data stream in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Music is directly tied to the technology of a culture."
"Modular gear is the craft beer of music."

Return to “MUTOOLS”