Newbie question: Change size of VST window?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm new to both Mulab and this forum, so please forgive me if this has been asked before.

When you open a (third party) VST plug-in synth in Mulab, the display window for the synth is really tiny. Is it possible to change (enlarge) the size of the VST plug-in window, i.e. where all the parameters and such are fiddled with.

Thank you!!
Sam

Depends on vst, some of them are resizable, some not.

Its in the user manual in each of them.

And you're welcome.
:)

To have the ability to resize a VST panel, yes Harry is perfectly right. There are two possibilities, but both are coded at the VST's side, not at the DAW's side. They are:
  1. The VST contains several fixed-size bitmap GUI's, and you choose among these available sizes (it remains for the moment the case of 99% of the plugins).
  2. The VST GUI is coded in vectorial and you adjust your size by drag-dropping the bottom right corner as any other Windows, Linux or OSX file-browser window (it remains for the moment the case of less than 1% of the plugins, among them the most recent plugins from TAL and DiscoDSP for example)
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

So, basically, if the VST window within Mulab lacks the bottom-right-corner click-drag adjustment + the manual mentions nothing about GUI/window size, I'm stuck squinting at tininess. Nerts.

But thanks for your responses, anyway.

Sam

Generally the plugins having a vectorial GUI have also a menu (or a button) to choose a size or at least to come back to the default size.
  • Example in TAL-Bassline-101, TAL-Sampler, and TAL-U-NO-LX: Menu Startup, then "Restore original-plug-in size".
  • Example in DiscoDSP Bliss: Menu, then sub-menu "Interface" then the choice between [60%, 80%, 100%, 150%, 200%] in the group "Interface scaling".
  • Example in DiscoDSP Corona: Menu, then sub-menu "GUI Size" then the choice between [75%, 100%, 150%, 200%].
  • Example in DiscoDSP DiscoveryPro: Menu, then sub-menu "GUI Size" then the choice between [1.0x, 1.5x, 2.0x].
So... even with the vectorial GUI's there are always solutions using the common menu.
  • Even DiscoDSP OBXD (which doesn't have a vectorial GUI) embeds several skins which have not the same size. Some are narrow and some are wide.
  • Same thing for the very complex synth ME80 from Gunnare Ekornas. It does not have a vectorial GUI, but it offers two sizes, one at 100% and the other (it is simply another DLL provided to the purchaser in the same single pack, you don't pay twice) at 200%.
So... there is always a simple solution. Extremely rare are the plugins which provide several sizes (or a vectorial GUI) but with the risk of leaving the user without any possibility to figure out an incident with the size of the shown GUI by some borders going out the size of the screen at right or at the bottom. As soon as the GUI is vectorial or offers several sizes... it provides also the usual solution using a menu or a button or a simple unload of the synth to be able to reload the other size of the synth.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

As a last resort (particularly with old VSTs) are utility apps that enable quick toggling among different display resolutions.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote:As a last resort (particularly with old VSTs) are utility apps that enable quick toggling among different display resolutions.
How to Create a Windows Screen Resolution Shortcut
:D

Return to “MUTOOLS”