Meta-Parameters with different curves for VST?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Folks,

I have a few Reaktor (VST) patches I would like to control from with MuLab. The patches are complex and I'd like to create a few intuitive meta-parameter knobs such as "speed", "density", "duration", "clarity". Each of these intuitive meta-parameters might control two to five knobs on the Reaktor patch (likely via MIDI CC).

The MuLab meta-parameters would move the Reaktor knobs in different directions, with different minimums, maximums, and ideally also along different curves (non-linear). Here are my questions:

1. What is the best way to get this level of control?

2. For example, my understanding is that the official MuLab meta-parameters are intended for MUX, but I can drag a VST into a MUX patch outside of a polysynth layer. Correct? Is that the best way to proceed?

3. Can MuLab meta-parameters have different curves for each sub-parameter?

4. Could I then save the meta-parameter setup and the Reaktor VST patch in a single MuLab rack as a preset?

5. If not MUX meta-parameters, how would you proceed? If necessary, I can try to use Pure Data, but I would prefer a MuLab solution.

Thank you,
-D. Vyd

You can certainly have multiple VST parameters controlled by a single meta-parameter and you can certainly have them act over different ranges or in different directions. However, meta-parameters themselves do not have curves.

Using mdaDelay as a quick example:
1) Add a MUX to your project
2) Add mdaDelay to the MUX
3) Drag "L Delay" to meta-parameter 1, just clicking OK on the pop-up
4) Drag "R Delay" to meta-parameter 1, here change the minimum to 100% and the maximum to 0%
5) Rename the meta-parameter (as "L Delay", the default, isn't useful)
6) Now moving the meta-parameter makes L Delay and R Delay move in opposite directions

OK, so that's the easy bit. Now we'll get the curves.

1) Add a Parameter Event Generator and connect it up to mdaDelay's event input - this lets it snoop around for interesting things to control
2) Set the Parameter Event Generator to generate Feedback parameter events
3) Add a Modulation Mapper, connect the output to the Parameter Event Generator input, drag the "Amplitude" onto meta-parameter 2 and set the minimum to 0.
4) (This is important...) Add a Constant Modulation Generator, set to 100%, connect to the Modulation Input on the Modulation Mapper
5) Now moving meta-parameter 2 moves the Feedback parameter on mdaDelay... but that wasn't exciting enough!
6) Open up the modulation mapper -- it's got a curve to play with.

Basically, to get meta-parameters to have curves, the above trick with the Modulation Mapper is needed for each different curve. Then you need a Parameter Event Generator for each VST Parameter you want controlled by a curve.

(You can combine this with the X-Y controller trick for maths operations to combine values, of course.)

This second approach using the curves is excellent. Thank you. I will try it later today.

I'm having difficulty getting different curves working for a single Meta-Param. At one point I was able to get one sub-parameter to follow a different curve, but never all three. But, now, despite all having different curves, I see all three controlled parameters in Reaktor moving exactly the same. Perhaps someone could replace Reaktor in the attached project with one of his or her own VSTs and test it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “MUTOOLS”