SkaraJammer

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!
I've made this tool with Mux 7.5.4., for a music visualisation project I made with MagicMusicVisuals.

demo video using SkaraJammer and MagicVisual:https://youtu.be/k0ddaMLrB4E?list=PLrbV ... 2_-fkTr1g1

It contains 4 instruments, 3 of them (beatbox, bass and synth) are driven by step sequencers, the last one can be played as a pad or lead synth. The keyboard is splitted at A3, the left part is used for the 3 rythm machines, the right part is assigned to le pad/lead. Split for each machine can be desactivated.

the drumpads on the front panel is used to switch between patterns for drums/bass/synth. This can be randomized with the 3 dedicated pads in the AUTOPLAY section (right up on the front panel)

A chord map can be assigned to bass and synth, in order to play 1 finger-style (like the Yamaha PSR series ;-)
A sustain button is used to hold the chords.

Each instruments have FX sends (reverb and delay), there is also a master FX rack. A fake-led indicator on the top left shows the tempo and playing bar.

Some sound parameters are shown in the front panel (for on-the-fly midi learn), as well as sequencers parameters for the bass and synth. I made this to work with my keyboard (Korg Triton Taktile), so the midi CC mappings fit my needs (CC16 to 29). You'll have to reassign the knobs with your own controller.

The ouput midi channels are 10 for the Drums, 7 for the Bass, 2 for the Synth, and 8 for the lead/pad.

I attached the .MUX file, don't know if other files are needed to run it. I used a stock Mudrum preset for the demo, so there should be no samples issues. Let me know...

Edit: I have updated the file, there is now a keyboard at the bottom, for those who want to try without a midi controller. (C2 to A3 for bass and synth notes) I also cleared the editor panel, signal flow is now more easy to follow.
edit2: Skarajammer3 third and final version: new "song mode" and other goodies ;-)

edit3: added demo video
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by skarabee on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

:party: Great bit of design, I took the liberty of putting it into the Mulib, if you dont want it in there just say so
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Awesome :clap:

Really shows the possibilities with Mux and Mulab if people like you are creative.

Thanks for sharing :tu:
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

Thank you bibz1st for putting it in the Mulib. Didn't know if I could do it.
Mux is an amazing toolbox. I had to use some tricks for this one, especially for the "hold" function, and it's still not perfect, but usable. It also gave me some thoughs about features requests, but I think Jo as enough on the plate...;-)
Of course, one can change the sound modules and build it's own jammer with different synths.

I have some other ideas, will try to build them with Mux and share.

No probs, you can upload to Mulibs Inbox and hopefully one of the Mulib mods will see it and act accordingly, best to also post in here about it as wel, just in case.
Keep those ideas coming :)

Wow, that's something!!

Question: When i click the drum pads the drums start playing immediately. When i click the bass or synth pads nothing happens. Why?

It's by design. I should have explain this in my first post...

You have to send notes to feed the bass and synth sequencers, both set to arpeggiator. The bass and synth pads are only used to change patterns. Notes for these 2 machines are taken from the event input, thru a sequence player used as "hold" function (a one note/one bar loop) and then thru a chord map for the "one-finger chord" style. The sequence player is set to start at first note and stop on the same note.

Drum sequencer is not set to arpeggiator, and it is "instant synced". I used the top row of the drum pads for breaks, and the bottom for main beats. The drum sequencer is also set to start at first note and stop at same note in this version. On my personnal version, it stops on the same note, because I am using the KORG's pads this way: top row (breaks) is set on "momentary" on the KORG, and bottom row (beats) is set to toggle. So when I engage a bottom row pad, it sends a note on, and the light stay on until I press the pad again (not off). I mirrored this behavior on the front panel of the Jammer. It helps knowing what beat is played. And I can send some breaks on-the-fly, with the "momentary" pads, when I release the pad, the main beat continues. Very cool feature.
I also use other "toggle" buttons on the KORG to change bass and synth patterns.

I hope my explanations are good enough, english is not my native language...

I just prototyped the beast, so there is a lot of cables spagetthi under the hood, not easy to follow the signal chain.
I will rework it and organize things in the editor. I'm currently thinking of another version, wich could behave as you expected, with predefined chords, but in this case, one will partially loose the hand on notes and scales, wich is the main purpose I was looking for, when making this prototype.

By the way, I may have some suggestions, aka feature requests ;-)...
Some are concerning the visual feedback:
a three-state color scheme for the drum note pads. On/Off/Selected (or playing).
Some kind of activity LEDs (I used pads driven by a sequence for the little bar counter)

Thank you for your interest, and for your work on Mulab and Mux!

Awesome :party: :tu: Thanks :pray:
Orion, Bitwig, Tracktion, Mixbus :party: :tu: :clap:
Win 10, intel i7, ram 20 steinberg UR22mkII :wink:

Thx for the explanation skarabee! About FRs: Please collect your FRs on a personal wishlist and when M8 has been released then feel free to post the top 3 on your personal MuLab/MUX wishlist. Thx.

Of course you're also free to cooperate with other users and create a user wishlist where each FR wish can get votes and so then it's easy for me to see which FR wishes are most wanted. I'm sure there are tools on the net to do such thing. The interesting thing about such user driven wishlist is that users can talk about a certain FR and finetune it.

Just an idea.

Good idea for the FR.
By the way, I just updated the Skarajammer in my first post. I'll do the same for the Mulib.

Excellent patch :phones: :tu:
Thanks for sharing skarabee!

I have updated the first post with the 3rd and final version of the SkaraJammer. Couln't join the help file in the first post, so here it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I shall move it into Mulib for you very shortly

This is awsome. thanks you @skarabee :tu:

mutools wrote:when M8 has been released

Can't wait! :)
mutools wrote: Of course you're also free to cooperate with other users and create a user wishlist where each FR wish can get votes and so then it's easy for me to see which FR wishes are most anted. I'm sure there are tools on the net to do such thing. The interesting thing about such user driven wishlist is that users can talk about a certain FR and finetune it.

Just an idea.
Great idea!
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Return to “MUTOOLS”