Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Reattaching subautomation track

SparkySpark
KVRian

762 posts since 30 Aug, 2004, from Skövde, Sweden

Postby SparkySpark; Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:03 am Reattaching subautomation track

Hi,

Sometimes, my sub-automation tracks (like volume changes) of a MUX instrument suddently gets "unattached". Perhaps it has to do with my somputer, I don't know, but here's one example:

I use the FollowMe MUX polysynth preset on one track. I added a sub-automation track for its Cutoff filter. It has worked well for a couple of weeks. All of a sudden it doesn't do anything anymore (even if I restart my computer), and I don't think that I have changed anything. Obviously I can have detached it by default, but there is no visual change from what I can see. I do have an older version of the same song, and there it still works.

So, is there a way to "reattach" the sub-automation track to the parent track, or can someone understand what I might have done to that track?

Thanks!
Making music is a nine-to-five job:
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
mutools
KVRAF

9121 posts since 24 Jun, 2008, from Europe

Postby mutools; Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:02 pm Re: Reattaching subautomation track

SparkySpark
KVRian

Postby SparkySpark; Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:43 am Re: Reattaching subautomation track

Sorry,
I re-read the document but couldn't see anything that helped me. The automation subtrack is still there, it just doesn't do anything.

I had at the same problem in another song. Not sure how to fix it. (My idea now is too perhaps drag it to a new track and then drag it back again and hope that It gets attached that way, but I am not sure that it will work, especially as it is an automation track and not a more generic trackvsuch as a MIDI one.)
Last edited by SparkySpark on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
pljones
KVRAF

5984 posts since 8 Feb, 2003, from London, UK

Postby pljones; Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:45 am Re: Reattaching subautomation track

Set the sub-track target to what you want to automate.
SparkySpark
KVRian

Postby SparkySpark; Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:48 am Re: Reattaching subautomation track

pljones wrote:Set the sub-track target to what you want to automate.

Hi, thanks. :)
I'd love to, but how do I do that? :)

I mean it was already set to cut off so what do I do now? Or do You mean that it somehow lost "track" of what it was supposed to do? :help:
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
pljones
KVRAF

Postby pljones; Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:03 pm Re: Reattaching subautomation track

Without you listing exactly what steps you took to set it up in the first place, it's not possible for anyone else to know what steps you took to set it up in the first place and hence how to tell you what steps to take to set it up again.

Setting a track target is in the right-click menu, as usual.
mutools
KVRAF

Postby mutools; Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:21 pm Re: Reattaching subautomation track

Even easier: Drag-drop.

So simply drag-drop the target parameter onto that track header.
That will make that automation track play its events towards that parameter.

Cfr that doc page.
pljones
KVRAF

Postby pljones; Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:34 pm Re: Reattaching subautomation track

-deleted- Found it...
SparkySpark
KVRian

Postby SparkySpark; Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:00 pm Re: Reattaching subautomation track

mutools wrote:Even easier: Drag-drop.

So simply drag-drop the target parameter onto that track header.
That will make that automation track play its events towards that parameter.

Cfr that doc page.

Yes, thanks: I know and it's super cool actually. However, there seems to be a bug here somewhere. I use the Follow Me MUX synth. The parameter I use for automation is Polysynth > F1 Cutoff. It has worked for a few weeks and then suddenly stopped working for no apparent reason. When I tried it the suggested way, there was no effect on the sound. I then tried to reattach the filter via rightclick on track header > Choose Target Module, I noticed that there was no F1 Cutoff in the list of available parameters.
However, when I created a new sub-automation track, this appeared again and I could select it as a parameter. Simply moving the old part to the new track didn't work. Therefore, I created an empty part for the new track, opened the first sub-automation part, selected all automation points (ctrl-A), copied them, opened the new part and pasted the values there.

That worked, but when I check again at the Choose Target Module for the new sub-automation track, the F1 Cutoff is missing again. However, it still does what it's supposed to. I just fear that the filtering will be missing out again.

I'm not sure whether this is a bug in MuLab per se, or in the MUX Follow Me synth, or if it can somehow have to do with my computer (which I find a bit unlikely, given that the actual parameters are missing from the list. I can send the file somewhere if preferred.
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
mutools
KVRAF

Postby mutools; Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:21 am Re: Reattaching subautomation track

I double-checked drag-dropping the polysynth cutoff parm of that specific patch to a track and created some modulation, works fine here. Also after save-reload. If you have a repeatable case, please let me know the exact steps how to repeat it.
SparkySpark
KVRian

Postby SparkySpark; Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:52 am Re: Reattaching subautomation track

mutools wrote:I double-checked drag-dropping the polysynth cutoff parm of that specific patch to a track and created some modulation, works fine here. Also after save-reload. If you have a repeatable case, please let me know the exact steps how to repeat it.

Hi again,

Thanks a lot for looking into this. I made a short movie describing this issue:

https://youtu.be/_PW0y3oik-o

I'm on Windows, 64 bit. I don't trust my computer really as it's a university computer and has some central configuration, but I'm not sure if the error can be related to that. Using the method described above I can live with this problem, which happens just once in a while, but I thought it could be good to report it in case anyone else gets the same issue.

Petter
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
mutools
KVRAF

Postby mutools; Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:14 am Re: Reattaching subautomation track

Looks like that part is muted. So select that part and unmute it, then it should play.
SparkySpark
KVRian

Postby SparkySpark; Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:48 am Re: Reattaching subautomation track

mutools wrote:Looks like that part is muted. So select that part and unmute it, then it should play.

No, it's (of course) the unmuted part that is playing. So: the original subtrack doesn't do anything, but the new one (which is an exact copy of the control points from the first one) works fine. This is why I muted them one at a time in the video. :)
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
SparkySpark
KVRian

Postby SparkySpark; Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:56 am Re: Reattaching subautomation track

SparkySpark wrote:
mutools wrote:Looks like that part is muted. So select that part and unmute it, then it should play.

No, it's (of course) the unmuted part that is playing. So: the original subtrack doesn't do anything, but the new one (which is an exact copy of the control points from the first one) works fine. This is why I muted them one at a time in the video. :)

Oh now I got it! You mean the part only, not the track! Will check soon. Looks like I am really an idiot! :dog: :dog: :dog:
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
SparkySpark
KVRian

Postby SparkySpark; Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:09 am Re: Reattaching subautomation track

SparkySpark wrote:Oh now I got it! You mean the part only, not the track! Will check soon. Looks like I am really an idiot! :dog: :dog: :dog:

Yep! Jo, you were absolutely correct, I had accidentally muted the sub-automation part in question. Actually I almost never mute parts anymore (I just move them away, or delete copies) so I must have muted it by accident.

Maybe the muted parts could be even easier to recognize, perhaps by making them a bit lighter, or not entirely filled, I don't know. I guess that for a user who is working with muted parts more than I do, this would not be a problem at all, even today.
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!

Moderators: muzycian, mutools

Return to MUTOOLS