Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

I've Tried, but can't figure it out

Dre_ws
KVRer

4 posts since 24 Sep, 2017

Postby Dre_ws; Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:51 pm I've Tried, but can't figure it out

I'm trying to find a way to fade out my songs, but I don't know where it is. I've went into everything, but can't find it. I need desperate help.
pekbro
KVRian

1073 posts since 29 Sep, 2010, from Maui

Postby pekbro; Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:21 am Re: I've Tried, but can't figure it out

You could use an automation track on the track volume, unless
you had something else in mind.

http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mulab/composer.html

"To create an automation (sub-)track, drag-drop the relevant parameter onto it. Or right-click the parent track and choose the relevant menu option. When drawing a new part on an automation track, it will always be an automation part."

-Cheers
pekbro
KVRian

Postby pekbro; Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:32 am Re: I've Tried, but can't figure it out

BTW: The MuLab documentation can be a little on the minimal side, but
its definitely going to be helpful to have a look through it, if you haven't.

@ Jo, have you considered or are you using something like Doxygen to
maintain the docs directly from your source code? Its pretty slick and
quite handy (so I'm told) if you haven't checked it out.

Just sayin...

-Cheers
mutools
KVRAF

9121 posts since 24 Jun, 2008, from Europe

Postby mutools; Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:42 am Re: I've Tried, but can't figure it out

Not yet considered. Maybe later. Thx for the tip.
pljones
KVRAF

5984 posts since 8 Feb, 2003, from London, UK

Postby pljones; Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:52 am Re: I've Tried, but can't figure it out

Source code doc generators are fine for documenting APIs for other developers but I wouldn't want to rely on them for delivering end-user documentation as they can't really pull together the various parts that make the whole thing you get on your screen.

I mean, something like
http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mulab/overview.html
would be pretty much impossible - it's not really about any particular part of the source code as it's just an example view using the composer (it's not the composer documentation). You end up creating input to the doc generator just to feed your output. Sort of okay but feels like overhead.

I think it's more that the documentation is very much text-oriented currently. Taking the same page as an example, the highlights on the image are not links -- you have to find the references in the text and then follow the links. It would be nice if you could land on that overview page and easily navigate the support documentation as if navigating the application, as that's what you're used to as a user.

Of course, lower level aspects of the documentation could be linked to the high-level components of the application - i.e. a user interface component like a popup needs a piece of documentation with an image of the popup that explains what the user is seeing.

As another example, take the audio set up page. There's no image at all of what the user is seeing when the text on the page is relevant.

So, ideally, every point in the application should have a help link to the appropriate page of documentation that has an image that reflects what the user clicked help on. Of course, with an application as complex as MUX plus MuLab, that's a huge task -- and would need some supporting generation tooling, I'd expect.
Dre_ws
KVRer

Postby Dre_ws; Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:23 am Re: I've Tried, but can't figure it out

I want to fade out the whole song all together without adding multiple automation tracks. I don't know where to do that.
mutools
KVRAF

9121 posts since 24 Jun, 2008, from Europe

Postby mutools; Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:05 am Re: I've Tried, but can't figure it out

Use a single "master" rack where all audio is routed to, then right-click its volume slider -> "Drag Parameter" and drop it on the [+] track button. Now you have a automation track that will that master rack's volume. Then draw automation parts as you need.
pekbro
KVRian

Postby pekbro; Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:40 am Re: I've Tried, but can't figure it out

Why couldn't you do that with doxygen?
It can output to HTML. Parsing through functions and classes to auto-generate entries is just one way to use it. You can explicitly define its output just as well.

-cheers
Dre_ws
KVRer

Postby Dre_ws; Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:44 am Re: I've Tried, but can't figure it out

Thank you. very, very much. I've recommended many people to look in and try mulab out. I used to use fl studios, but I never liked it. I learned it and all, but it wasn't beneficial to me at all, to where I can use my full potential. In my honest opinion. mulab is better than fl. mulab is a hidden gem.
pljones
KVRAF

Postby pljones; Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:13 pm Re: I've Tried, but can't figure it out

pekbro wrote:Why couldn't you do that with doxygen?
It can output to HTML. Parsing through functions and classes to auto-generate entries is just one way to use it. You can explicitly define its output just as well.

I didn't say you couldn't. I just wouldn't recommend it unless it's being used linked to source and in the case of the Mu* docs, I do not think that's an appropriate way to present the use of the application to the user. So it offers little advantage over other doc generator tools.
pekbro
KVRian

Postby pekbro; Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:03 pm Re: I've Tried, but can't figure it out

Well, it would just be more of an efficiency thing and likely an easier way for Jo to update the docs as he modifies the code. The guy who turned me onto it, is actually a high profile audio plugin developer, interestingly. He uses it for his documentation and touted it as a great solution. They do go about it differently, as their docs are built into the plugins.

*shrugs
pljones
KVRAF

Postby pljones; Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:34 pm Re: I've Tried, but can't figure it out

Yeah, it's really down to what's being presented. The docs as they are don't fall to that style of creation, I'd say. I guess for the later part of what I was saying - point-and-click documentation - attaching the doc to the component it documented does make sense.

Moderators: muzycian, mutools

Return to MUTOOLS